Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

93z28 vs. Lancer Evo VIII and then a WRX

Old 03-19-2004, 03:01 AM

93z28 vs. Lancer Evo VIII and then a WRX

I was heading over to pick up my friend to grab a bite and I ran into my friend with a Lancer Evo VIII. I followed him for a bit and then we finally got to a light. He has no desire to launch his car (bad stock clutches in the evos?) so it wasn't too pretty for him. Not sure how torque-y those cars are but he says it has pretty bad turbo lag at first so launching is the only real way around it. Once they get up and go it's a completely different story though. It's pretty hard to keep up with them, but they don't have a tremendous advantage.
The WRX didn't really have a chance. Both cars had basic mods, HKS exhaust (downpipe) and turbo timer (not familiar with f/i so I dunno what the turbo timer has to do with anything). I still think in a straight line with a launch the Evo would rip me apart, not too sure about the WRX though. After following him into a u-turn I still passed him up around 60-70. Still pretty quick cars though. I would take an Evo over my Z pretty much any day. Overall just a much better car, in stock trim atleast. On a side note for whoever reads this, can you recommend a reasonably priced brake kit?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:04 AM

wilwood 6 pot front brake kit is the best bang for the buck or just do a ls1 brake swap.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:05 AM

Good races. thoes wrx's arent fast its just the evo's u got watchout for.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 AM

I wouldnt conisder wrx's slow there just a little behind stock lt-1 times arent they?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:26 AM

A stock WRX would get smashed by a stock LT1. The only advantage it has is AWD, but they don't trap very high. Typically 94-95 at the most.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Big Red Jim
A stock WRX would get smashed by a stock LT1. The only advantage it has is AWD, but they don't trap very high. Typically 94-95 at the most.
Wow I thought wrx's were pretty stout and on stock lt-1's asses but you learn something new everyday
Old 03-19-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Big Red Jim
In the 1/8 mile the WRX could beat a stock LT1. In the 1/4 mile it is a pretty close race, if the WRX owner launches they hell out of his car. But from any speed roll the WRX is toast.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by lt1crazy
Good races. thoes wrx's arent fast its just the evo's u got watchout for.
Don't forget about the WRX's big brother .

I really didn't like the power lvl of my old WRX ('03), it really felt so gutless in the lower rev range.

But.... I would have put money on the gutless stock WRX over my well modified LT1 in a stoplight race. AWD launch really pays dividends up through about 50 mph for the WRX. Around here, a stoplight race usually wont (definately not safely) get over 50.

And yeah, stock WRX is low to high 14sec car low to mid 90s trap speed. All in how bad they want to abuse it on the launch it seems.

Last edited by wile2k; 03-19-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:29 PM

I see you have an sti. Had any good races in that thing yet. My firends dad bought him a brand new sti. Was wondering if you could kind of gadge for me what I would need to beat the new sti from a stop until about 115 and from like a 30 roll or so.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by BiGGinZ
I see you have an sti. Had any good races in that thing yet. My firends dad bought him a brand new sti. Was wondering if you could kind of gadge for me what I would need to beat the new sti from a stop until about 115 and from like a 30 roll or so.
Hi Big,
Well, I haven't done much beating on it yet, still under 1000 miles (although I stopped babying it after 500). the STI is a quick car but not exceptionally fast (big difference between quick and fast imo). From a stop it can murder a lot of cars just due to AWD and a strong tranny that can take the punishment of high rpm launches. The STI only traps at about 103mph stock but those 103mph are put to good use netting very low 13s and even a couple high 12s.

Soo, guess moral of the story is, if you race from a stop make sure the race is long enough to allow you to catch up (assuming you trap higher than 103). If you race from a roll then if you trap better than 103ish you should pull on them (assuming the STI is stock of course, they can put on another 50 or so HP rather easily but after that it is hard because there is a lack of tuning available for another couple months). The aerodynamics of the Suby are not that great but the close ratio gear box is pretty good at keeping the engine near it's sweet spot.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by wile2k
Hi Big,
Well, I haven't done much beating on it yet, still under 1000 miles (although I stopped babying it after 500). the STI is a quick car but not exceptionally fast (big difference between quick and fast imo). From a stop it can murder a lot of cars just due to AWD and a strong tranny that can take the punishment of high rpm launches. The STI only traps at about 103mph stock but those 103mph are put to good use netting very low 13s and even a couple high 12s.

Soo, guess moral of the story is, if you race from a stop make sure the race is long enough to allow you to catch up (assuming you trap higher than 103). If you race from a roll then if you trap better than 103ish you should pull on them (assuming the STI is stock of course, they can put on another 50 or so HP rather easily but after that it is hard because there is a lack of tuning available for another couple months). The aerodynamics of the Suby are not that great but the close ratio gear box is pretty good at keeping the engine near it's sweet spot.

Cool thanks for the info. I am with you in saying that fast and quick is different. I don't plan on racing him with the mods I have now so don't think I am trippin thinkin I can beat one because I don't. I plan on getting my 3.73's, cai, at least high flow cat and cat-back (probably headers too), and a stall. Oh yea and nitto dr's. This race is planned for mid august so dont expect to hear about it soon. He is stock right now but who knows when we race. If I hear he starts modding then I will just sneak a 100 shot in my car.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 AM

Re: 93z28 vs. Lancer Evo VIII and then a WRX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eaalto
[ turbo timer (not familiar with f/i so I dunno what the turbo timer has to do with anything)kit?

If I'm not mistaken, a turbo timer keeps oil pumping through your turbo untill the bearings stop spining, after you turn the car off??
Old 03-20-2004, 01:18 AM

I have a friend that's has a brand new wrx ,and that dam thing ran a 12.7 with a downpipe and something else. A few bolt ons and those things fly.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:25 AM

Re: Re: 93z28 vs. Lancer Evo VIII and then a WRX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ishz28
Originally posted by eaalto
[ turbo timer (not familiar with f/i so I dunno what the turbo timer has to do with anything)kit?

If I'm not mistaken, a turbo timer keeps oil pumping through your turbo untill the bearings stop spining, after you turn the car off??
A turbo timer keeps the car running for an additional 5 minutes or so to keep the turbos spinning at idle to cool the turbos and keep oil from coking up inside the turbo from the excess heat created from heavy boosting.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:52 AM

Talking

I raced an sti from a 20 roll up until 80 and destroyed that thing once I hit second gear. From a stop wouold have been a different story though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93z28 vs. Lancer Evo VIII and then a WRX