Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Warped brake rotors 71,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM

Warped brake rotors 71,000 miles

I guess that's what it is at 70 mph braked hard and vibration in the steering wheel, I know the tires new balanced , rotors don't even look warped never turned as far as I know bought car from ist owner at 64,000 milesand now has 72,000 miles
How could rotors be warped at 72,000 miles??
I read a.b.s. problems occurred also?
I think that's a dangerous situation where rotors lock and sensors and module need changing?
How wide spread are thes brake problems with the 98 z28 or all 4th gens or???Warped brake rotors 71,000 miles-10701999_546794228754749_7268145948488729924_n-camaro-1998-z28.jpg
Ok its a nice car drives nice ect but don't wanna chage rotors then it be something else lika b s , I don't have inop abs so may be it is the rotors , good loking cars though,

Last edited by ketanojaun; 11-21-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 PM

Re: Warped brake rotors 71,000 miles

You can't tell if rotors are warped by looking at them. At your mileage (and symptoms), they are probably overdue for machining.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Administrator

There are some brake pro's that claim there is no such thing as warped rotors - it's a myth. Point is if you turn or replace the rotors without fixing the underlying problems, you'll just continue to have the same problems.

Interesting reading:

Reader's Digest version

Warped' Rotors Myth - Correctly Service Brakes: Runout, Disc Thickness

High-tech version

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths
Old 11-22-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
There are some brake pro's that claim there is no such thing as warped rotors - it's a myth. Point is if you turn or replace the rotors without fixing the underlying problems, you'll just continue to have the same problems.

Interesting reading:

Reader's Digest version

Warped' Rotors Myth - Correctly Service Brakes: Runout, Disc Thickness

High-tech version

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths
Underlying problems ya mean like abs malfunctioning and.....................................
Old 11-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Incorrect brake pad selection for intended driving style, incorrect break-in of pads and rotors, uneven mounting hub surface, uneven torquing of lug nuts, rust build-up between rotor, hub and wheel, wheel bearing runout.

ABS activation will cause a varying pedal feel, but it won't be similar to what you are describing. And when your ABS activates, the affected wheel will be approaching lock-up and the dash light will come on. Hopefully you would know that your ABS had been activated. When ABS is not activated, it should not affect pedal feel. I'm not sure what kind of malfunction you are referring to.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:37 PM

ya know I been driving this car since 64,000 miles like a an ole man soft wasy and slow. Now with 72,000 miles I felt like punching it brakin hard cornering hard , now original pads were still there.
I saw some metallic in the pads and may be pads kinda wore the rotors some ,.
Now these rotors are original as well.
I had bought some pads while back and today decided to install them.
I did then test drove car they felt nice no 70mph and slamming brakes but 50 mph , no abs light , no shimmy at steer wheel
I did notice torn dust seals on calipers also original, no leaks. Eighteen year old car that was outside enough to crack some rubber around in suspension.
I I guess its lower control arm bushings, maybe dry ball joint boots some crack, point is 18 years its not easy on rubber and torn rubber leads to broken down components.
judging from out and inside you would never know.
Im thinking may be smarter for me to find a buyer seems will be easy and replace it with a garge queen crean puff if possible.
Your point about small things making a difference in pedal feel ect I agree with !!
Old 11-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Does anyone know of where caliper dust boots can be found for original calipers I see 3 of mine have torn and id like to save original calipers if possible , I think maybe an uneven braking may have cause a shake at steering wheel .
I know dust dirt and water can enter caliper chamber and sooner or later ill have a leaky 1 or 2 calipers.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Your auto parts store will have what you need.