Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Tubular K-member Question

Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Tubular K-member Question

Well in the process of buying a tubular k-member and i came across a used PA racing "mild steel" k-member for 175 bucks. Now i see they offer a "chromoly" one also. I also noticed bmr umi and other companies only off a chromoly one. My ? is besides the weight of the steel and chromoly what`and if are the downside of the mild steel?...

Last edited by Lt1son; 04-30-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 AM

Re: Tubular K-member Question

No input here... No one is runing a "mild steel" kmember from paracing?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Only real downside is the extra weight, but it's still a fair chunk less than the stock k-member. You can build to the same safety factor with thinner walled 4130, and lose a little more weight in the process. That's the only advantage to "chrome-moly" as I see it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM

great thanks, thats kinda what i figured is that it was a little thicker walled and a touch heavier. thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 PM

Thumbs up Re: Tubular K-member Question

Yes, all things equal, the 4140 tubed k-member will be lighter but... pay attention to the various designs out there. Some are more heavily braced/gusseted than others, so the weights are gonna vary a bit one brand to the next.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zaknafein
Yes, all things equal, the 4140 tubed k-member will be lighter but... pay attention to the various designs out there. Some are more heavily braced/gusseted than others, so the weights are gonna vary a bit one brand to the next.
Hey guys. In the cases where we use CrMo, we reduce wall thickness to produce a similar strength part often at a weight savings.

Our k-members are all mild steel and are a great combination of weight reduction with adequate strength and increased clearance.

ramey
Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 PM

I have PA mild steel k member. All welds were done incorrectly. After cracking off one of the rack and pinion mounts then having the front control arm mount crack at the welds. i sand blasted it clean. Every single weld was full of holes and pitted. Not from rust but from not using the gas or bad ground when welded. When ever it breaks i reweld it right. Stay away from pa imo. Though it did weigh 48 pounds less for me
Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Welding of chrome moly parts takes a very high degree of expertise. For something as critical as the K-member, I would avoid using chrome moly, unless the welds had been fully inspected for flaws.

If there is a history of weld problems with a particular fabricator, I would avoid them for mild steel parts as well.