Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Trying to fix abs inop issue

Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 PM

Re: Trying to fix abs inop issue

Sorry but I'm old.I did have a ground fixed inside the rear fender drivers side by a mechanic that fixed an issue and I think it had to do with the lights.Beer time.Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Hopefully Gary will check back. I know he verified the program will work with 1996 ABS..... not sure about 97.
I have no good idea whether my app would work for a 97 ABS. I have no data on that unit and no sample module. It has a different part number from the 96, but then again the 96 number is different from a 95 and those both work in the app. Might be interesting to try it. I do know this does not work on my 98.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:27 AM

I have a question about abs inop light on a 2002 camaro z28. I recently installed a new carrier and rear gears, the new carrier didnt have a abs ring so now my abs inop light is on. Anyone have suggestion on how to get that light off ? Another question is i noticed some camaros have a abs switch next too the fog light switch can i add that to turn the abs inop light off ?
Old 12-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RastaZ28
I have a question about abs inop light on a 2002 camaro z28. I recently installed a new carrier and rear gears, the new carrier didnt have a abs ring so now my abs inop light is on. Anyone have suggestion on how to get that light off ? Another question is i noticed some camaros have a abs switch next too the fog light switch can i add that to turn the abs inop light off ?
If you have ABS only, you need the reluctor gear on the diff carrier to make it work. You either need to get a ring and install it, or defeat the ABS system to turn the light off (or pull the bulb out). If your factory carrier did have the reluctor ring on it, you could possibly have removed it and placed it on the new carrier. They are a bit of a press fit, and very brittle, easy to break. If your factory carrier had the ring, you have ABS only.

If you have ABS + ASR (traction control - RPO option "NW9") you would have a sensor and reluctor on each end of the rear axle housing, and the light being on may be a problem with one of those sensors.

The switch to the right of the fog light switch is not for the ABS. It is there to turn the ASR (traction control) off. If you don't have the switch you don't have ASR/traction control. In any case, the switch doesn't turn ABS off, so adding it would not accomplish anything.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:54 PM

I do only have abs and we tried to get the ring gear on the carrier but the new carrier i put in was bigger then stock and couldnt get it to fit at all do you know of any other fixes ?? Or just drive with inop light on forever it wont make my abs act up will it
Old 12-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Administrator

If the "ABS INOP" light is on, the ABS is disabled. You could try pulling the connector off the EBCM (electronic braking control module) as insurance. If that doesn't turn the ABS INOP light off, pull the bulb out of the socket, as mentioned above.