Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque arm fitment problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 PM

Torque arm fitment problems

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a weird issue here- I have a 2002 Ls1 Camaro and I am trying to swap in the tunnel mount torque arm from sphon into the car and it doesn't seem to want to clear the exhaust.

The car currently has stock Headers, stock Y-pipe and a corsa catback.

I have the normal straight torque arm crossmember from sphon as well as the longtube style one that I picked up for when I eventually swap on Lt headers next year.

BOTH don't clear the factory exhaust with the safety loop...now I know the straight crossmember cleared my old v6 Camaro just fine, so what is the issue here?

When I put the straight crossmember into place I can't get the bolt holes to line up because the driveshaft safety loop hits the exhaust. It looks like it needs to go about another .5 - 1 inch over to the passenger side of the car.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-30-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM

Re: Torque arm fitment problems

I was having the same problem with my ls1 ... ima try a BMR if it doesn't work ima run both pipes into a bullet muffle and go 3 inch single out the back
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr99SS
I was having the same problem with my ls1 ... ima try a BMR if it doesn't work ima run both pipes into a bullet muffle and go 3 inch single out the back
I think when I was on UMI's site, they said that 98-02 stock Y-pipe won't work with either of their crossmember mounted T/A's...so Im wondering if that is the issue and it is going to happen regardless of who you use...?

my fix might be to chop the safety loop off at this point, get the arm on, drive it to the exhaust shop, chop the factory Y-pipe and mcgyver it around the loop and weld everything back together.

Might cost me $230 this way vs doing the LT headers and Y-pipe right now...either way it is a **** off...
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM

I purchased a UMI toque-arm mount for a 97SS T56. Trans mount did not align. Hole off 1 dia. Also, Torque-Arm off about 1/2 inch. I cut and reworked. Fit nice now. Better trans bushing mount now. Had to add more shims (1/8). Also, made changes to make it better @ torque arm. Still don't like alignment. I have better ideas. Dangerous with welders. I don't know what to tell them? Thinking not. B.