Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Tie Rod End Replacement - Some Quick Questions (mostly grease-related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Tie Rod End Replacement - Some Quick Questions (mostly grease-related)

Hi All,

I've had my 2000 Z28 Camaro since it was new. Since then, I've had two kids and now I'm desperately trying to keep my beloved Camaro. One of the ways I have been doing this is by doing a few of my own simple repairs where I can. But so far my experience with doing my own repairs has been an alternator replacement (twice), and the front brakes (including replacing the caliper bracket and pins).

Now, I find myself needing to replace the driver's side outer tie rod end. The tire place said they couldn't do an alignment until it was replaced. But I didn't want to pay them $300 to do it! So here I am.

I realize I'm "cheaping out" here, but I have gotten ahold of a Duralast replacement tie rod end. And it comes with the thingamabob for applying grease with a grease gun. So, here are my questions. . .
  • Does it come pre-lubricated? (so I don't need to buy a grease gun and do it now)
  • If not, since my next stop after replacing the tie rod end will be the tire shop for new front tires and an alignment, is it reasonable to expect/request that they lube the tie rod end while they're aligning it?
  • If no to both prior questions, any tips on procuring a grease gun, and applying the grease? Are they just dime-a-dozen and you just give it a squeeze until the boot expands?
Thanks for any info and help. I realize I've got a cheap part here and I respect that a lot of people will probably urge me to go with something better. But, as of this moment, this is all I can really afford and my goal is just to get it back on the road for a few more months until I can do it right/better in the future.

Thanks!

Hurin

Last edited by Hurin; 12-12-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Tie Rod End Replacement - Some Quick Questions (mostly grease-related)

If it has a zerk fitting, it needs to be greased.

I wouldn't count on an alignment shop checking to see if the fittings were adequately greased.

All you need is a mini grease gun using cartridges, available at most auto parts stores. Here's an example:

Grease Gun with 3 Oz. Grease
Old 12-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

If you don't already have the best 2000 F-body service manual available, you can get one here for free:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 PM

Well, just put in the replacement tie rod end.

All went pretty smoothly. Now that I know what I'm doing, could easily get it done in half an hour (or less).

I'm not sure about how much grease I used. I gave the grease gun four or five pumps and I think I saw the boot plump slightly. But I started to feel some resistance and didn't want to overdo it. I hope that's okay.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Sounds OK. Just check it again in a couple months.