Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

suspension on a budget???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM

suspension on a budget???

Suspension on a budget, is this even possible? Lol. I got to thinking, I can get the polyurethane bushings reasonably cheap, would it be worth my time to box the stock rear pcs's and possibly build my own torque ARM, mount and panhard bar. Has anybody tried to do any of this or have any pointers or ideas? Before I start building the engine I would like to get better traction. What's the point of having 400 hp if I can't get traction stock. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Re: suspension on a budget???

If you want to do it right, and by right I mean the way you should and without being completely cheap about it, then you will probably spend more money making your own than buying pre-made parts.

I made my own solid 6061 aluminum LCAs and panhard bar, and it cost roughly the same as if I bought them from BMR, Spohn, etc (after I sold a set of LCAs for what BMR sells them for).

Unless you are highly mechanical, have the tools and space to make such parts, it is going to be difficult especially when making a torque arm. LCAs and panhard are not that bad. Just need the right tools and materials.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM

I wasn't planning on making my own, just boxing in my lca's, making my own tubular panhard bar, and possibly making my own torque ARM, but I'm not sure about that yet. Now if I knew somebody in my area that had one off the car I'd make a jig and it would be a piece of cake. But its never that easy. Really I'm just curious if boxing the lca's would help with traction. In theory it would make them stronger, but the real world screws theory up everyday!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

SLP used to use sell the "takeoff" LCA's and panhard bars that came from the SS and Firehawk conversions. They would "box" them before they sold them.

Yes, boxing them will make them more rigid. But it also makes them heavier. and 1/2 of the weight of each of those components is "unsprung" weight, since it rests on the rear axle assembly. More unsprung weight is not good. The tubular replacements help reduce weight, and if you are looking for the lightest possible weight, there are chrome moly versions available.

SLP had a booth at the Englishtown (Old Bridge NJ Raceway Park) spring flea market quite a few years ago, and they were clearing out the last of the takeoff parts. A buddy of mine bought a boxed panhard bar, and it was so heavy we had to take turns carrying it.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dzltek
I wasn't planning on making my own, just boxing in my lca's, making my own tubular panhard bar, and possibly making my own torque ARM, but I'm not sure about that yet. Now if I knew somebody in my area that had one off the car I'd make a jig and it would be a piece of cake. But its never that easy. Really I'm just curious if boxing the lca's would help with traction. In theory it would make them stronger, but the real world screws theory up everyday!!
Boxing the LCA's tends to help reduce wheel hop so long as you install a better bushing. Boxing itself only fixes half the problem.

For a torque arm and PHB, I'd recommend UMI!

ramey