Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Safe Jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Safe Jacking point

Hello, Camaro world....
I recently purchased a '69 Pro Street Camaro (ralley green) from a private collector. Very cool car. It was built along the lines to be used in SCCA racing. BMR Fabrication rear suspension, full roll cage, mini tubbed, 355 cid w/ a B & M 144 Supercharger, 5-speeed Tremec trans, 12-bolt w/ 3.73 posi, holley carb, Vintage wheel works wheels, Atco coil-over shocks, Tubular a-arms, 6-piston Wilwood slotted discs, Kirkey racing seats, 4-point harness and a whole lot more.
Now, this is my first Camaro and I don't have access to a lift to perform routine work, i.e., change oil, etc.
Further, I'm not familiar with chassis strengths and proper lifting points on the vehicle. I attempted to get the car up on ramps and it quickley turned into a disaster. The ramps slipped and as the car dropped away it broke the two outter support locations on the plastic spoiler. Man that #%**#@!
Question, is it acceptable to lift the front of the car with jacks at the subframe just behind the toeboard location w/o any forward weight issues?
Never, crossed my mind that this beauty would need a commercial style lift to perform routine maintenance.
Glad to be onboard....thanks