Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Popping, Clunking from rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 AM

Popping, Clunking from rear of car

I thought I would post what I found was causing my problem.
I assumed my U-joints were bad, as it sounded just like that... coasting I could hear the clunck-clunck-clunck that slowed down in sync to the car slowing down.
(acceleration I could not hear or feel anything, loud muffler)

Well, my problem was simple... I had lost 3 of my 5 lug nuts and one of the remaining 2 were not tight.

I replaced and torqued them, problem solved.

But my question is, has anyone else had this happen? I remove lug nuts with a battery operated impact gun, but ALWAYS torque with a torque wrench. These lug nuts are 'gorilla' that need the special key so I don't think someone tried to take them off. there were no scratches or marks on them, and no other were loose (I re-torqued all of them)

I've been at this a long time, and nobody I talked to has had something like this. Yes, people say they come off if you don't tighten them, but not 'by themselves'
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Re: Popping, Clunking from rear of car

The only time had anything like that happen was when I was moving from AZ to IL and I had a 78 Grand Prix and I was towing a 69 Roadrunner with a tow bar. Right around St.Louis I heard some clicking on braking and acceleration and didn't know where it was coming from. Well I got as far as Joliet, IL and took an off ramp and my front driver's side wheel fell off, munched the fender, and rolled into a gully. The whole train skidded to a stop on the brake disk, and upon inspection, I found that the studs were all sheared off. I retrieved the wheel, which was ruined having been slotted at the lug holes. Not sure what lesson I learned,that time, but, obviously, I didn't tighten that wheel correctly last time I rotated the tires. I've been using an impacter to loosen lugs and a torque wrench to tighten lugs for the past 25 years and never had a problem, so I just chalk that up to bad mechanicing or other cosmic interference.