Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need a measurement please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM

Question Need a measurement please!

OK here is the deal. Doing ES poly on front upper/lower a arms. Fella I had press out the ball joints on lower arm, and press out the metal cup in the vertical bushing, took it upon himself to press out the front horizontal bushings sleeves! Of course I told him not to touch these and he assured me he wouldn't, yet he did! So I had to order new bushings to melt the rubber out to press sleeves back into the lower arm to use with the poly bushings. There is a small gap between the edge of the sleeve and the arm and I need a measurement of this gap if anyone can help me out. I didn't measure because I wasn't going to touch them, didn't take photos because there wasn't any need to...until! So if anyone can help me out Id appreciate it. I have photos I have downloaded off the net, and can see the gap but would still end up guessing how much the gap is. And with as much of a PITA it is to do this mod I do NOT wanna take a chance on it being wrong.

Also the metal caps/sleeve you have to reuse on lowers, what is the best way to pop these caps off, as you have to do so to reuse with poly bushings?

Appreciate all replies and help in measurement in advance! This has been as stated a big PITA but well worth it in the end. Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Re: Need a measurement please!

Did you ever get the info that you are looking for?

Just recently finished up installing all new bushings/balljoints and ran into the same thing.

I found some reference on the net but nothing concrete. Ended up renting the BJ press kit from autozone and centered the front and back as best I could. Then test fit them on the car. Because of the way the front will cause alignment for the back I tweaked it into place first. Then centered the back, making the lip on the botom of the bushing slightly lower than the control arm (there are some pics on the web if you do a search).

This was time consuming but seemed to work out well.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 AM

Re: Need a measurement please!

Sorry just seen your reply! No did not get any measurements but based upon pics I had them pressed in as close as possible. I find it amazing just how many so called mechanics, in an actual business have no clue and try to wing it or can't follow simple instructions as to what you want done. Needless to say I am good to go now. Thanks for the reply!