Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Front tires are shifted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Front tires are shifted.

Hey guys. My front passenger tire is pushed back about an inch and a quarter. I bought the car had it towed home. I got it started. And now.when i was gonna take it for a spin the tire is hitting the plastic behind the tire. There rubbing against each other when i turn to my left. Any suggestions. Theres no sign of it being crashed or anything i took the wheels off to inspect it and i havent been able to find anything? Help guys thanks
Old 02-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Re: Front tires are shifted.

Picture? Is this with the driver side wheel straight ahead? Severe toe-out? With steering wheel centered? Does the wheel exhibit excessive camber, or is it still fairly vertical?

Some possibilities are damaged upper and/or lower control arm, seriously damaged body structure at the shock tower, damaged K-member, damaged tie-rods, bent steering knuckle, or damaged bearing in the spindle/hub/bearing cartridge.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Just curious, about how the person that towed your car hooked it up for towing. Is it possible he caused the damage by how he hooked it up and towed it.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 PM

That what i was thinking. He had it with the back tires up on the tow. And the front was on the ground rolling. So i was thinking when he tried to back it into my driveway he must of kind of jack knifed it l, im thinking. Im looking at the upper control arms and the one in the passneger side looks like it off of the bushing. Atleast about a good inch. I measured from my back tire to center of my front tire and im reading that its off about an inch and a quarter.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Hopefully you won't need to, but if you need a tow in the future, request the Car Carrier style truck. It's the type that they angle the truck carrier bed down and hook belts or chains to the frame and pull it onto the bed. Then they pivot it back up, secure it, and away you go. Works great !
Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 PM

Yeah. Hopefully i wont need any more towing. Tomorrow i will post pictures of the upper control arm
Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Picture? Is this with the driver side wheel straight ahead? Severe toe-out? With steering wheel centered? Does the wheel exhibit excessive camber, or is it still fairly vertical?

Some possibilities are damaged upper and/or lower control arm, seriously damaged body structure at the shock tower, damaged K-member, damaged tie-rods, bent steering knuckle, or damaged bearing in the spindle/hub/bearing cartridge.
1Name:  20170304_075200_zpspwcjsxws.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  268.8 KB
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

i posted picture it on the bottom of the post
Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Looks a bit twisted at the top. This is the closest pic I could find of mine - I bought the car new, so I know nothing has been changed on the body. Springs and shocks are not stock. Yours almost looks like the entire panel behind the knuckle, which is part of the shock tower may have been replaced at some point in time.
Attached Thumbnails Front tires are shifted.-dcp04158.jpg  
Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 PM

Mines is all stock too. The shock struts are ac delco. The fuel filter was ac delco. This car , i bought i off the second owner. I compared my driver side control arm to my passenger side and its all the same! So idk whats going on. The frame isnt damaged or anything as i think. I checked all of the body inside and out before i purchased i think AAA tow truck driver tweaked something while backing in to my driveway.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 PM

If it is not measuring up when comparing drivers side to passenger side, maybe you might want to take it to a shop that can check the suspension or frame for you and see what they come up with.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 PM

Yeah man im just gonna take the car to get aligned and see if there able to adjust the caster. I spoke with one of my buddys so im just gonna do that. Ill let you know once i do it