Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Can't turn off ASR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Can't turn off ASR

Hello, I've been searching the forums for a while now, but haven't found any answeres that exactly pertain to my problem. On my '96 A4 Z28, the ASR button will not turn off the TC. I have a few clues from other posts to try: scan ABS/ASR module, check ASR button itself and wiring, check and clean rear speed sensors (and I've heard the front sensors are in the hub?). I've already checked all of the fuses. Also, I'm wondering if this could have anything relative to the car's rough shifts and no OD. 2500 RPM at 65mph= me not happy. At around 50mph it feels as though it want to downshift, but can't. I'm hoping it's sensor-related. ALL suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Can't turn off ASR

Have you scanned the PCM for codes? There are codes that cause the trans to default to 3rd gear, there are tranny codes that don't turn on the SES light. Worth a check.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Yes, my most recent scan was with my buddies Scangauge OBD II scanner, about two weeks ago due to an SES light. Only code that came up was a P0719, and there was a stored code that I don't recall, something about fuel mixture. I've noticed it's starting to whine when reversing. Gear shifts also vary somewhat each time I drive, but 2nd and 4th are usually the hardest and prolonged. Sometimes 3rd is rough, not ofter. Sorry, got off topic from the ASR. Right now, the car is a mystery, but I'll be taking it to my mechanic soon after finals week
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

P0719 is for the brake switch circuit. It does not turn on the SES light. Did you check out the cause of the code? A problem with the brake switch would likely affect the ABS/TCS system.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 AM

Ahh, thank you so much, you have sparked my memory! I remember looking up the p0719 and was surprised to see that there were some links to stuff about torque converter issues. I found and read a post you had helped out bee2080 with the no brake pedal and shift trick, tried it, and it shifts without applying the brake! I'm so excited now that I have an idea of the source of problem. So does this now mean a bad connection or even a bad TCC Brake Switch? I'm not sure where to start. Maybe this is also linked to my rough shifts.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Just to follow up, I took the car to my mechanic today. He scanned and found that one of the brake switches was open circuit when it should have been closed. He looked up the wiring diagram and fiddled with the switches for a while. He told me to take it for a spin and everything works perfectly now. The flaw was interfering with the torque converter (now it shifts into overdrive), and I can now turn ASR off, though the light is burned out on my dash. He also put a used set of Good Year Eagles on from his '95 Z28 that he sold a few years ago. It's like I have a brand new car. Amazing! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Injuneer.