Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

BMR Torque Arm Relocation Bracket - Does NOT fit?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM

BMR Torque Arm Relocation Bracket - Does NOT fit?

Help me out guys ...

Picked up a BMR Torque Arm and the Torque Arm Relocation Crossmember for a 93-97 T56 car.

I got the old torque arm, cross member, and torque arm mount off easily enough. I slid the new torque arm onto the axle, bolted it (in the OUTSIDE set of holes, it wont fit on the inside holes, the torque arm hits the rear axle on the top), and then proceeded with the crossmember relocation bracket.

The 4 holes align with my 4 holes on the floor pan. The stud for the rear transmission mount even lines up perfect. But when you push the bracket up and go to tighten the bracket down, the Torque Arm Mount portion of the cross member is touching the side/top of the tunnel. It is so bad, I cant even get the Allen Bolts through to fit the nut on ...

Something is really wrong? They are supposed to be part numbers TCC011 and TA001. Could someone give me some measurements to verify this?

Also, even if it was not rubbing on the floor, it says it will clear any stock or aftermarket exhaust and it is so close to my Y-Pipe (Pacesetter Long Tubes, and ORY), that the torque arm would only be able to be mounted in the TOP MOST mounting hole. But all that, is a big IF, if it wasn't rubbing the side of the tunnel so tight that I can't even get the nuts on it.

As per their instructions, I kept everything lose, rear suspension fully unloaded off the ground, and the tranny supported by my floor jack.

I am really disappointed and out of ideas. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Joe, hoping you get an answer for this, I too have a 95z M6 and very much debated grabbing it just prior to you doing so. I looked back at the pic, and that flat mount with all the holes in it does indeed look like it travels very high upward? Doesn't seem to make sense. Bump in the hopes that someone recognizes the issue...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Re: BMR Torque Arm Relocation Bracket - Does NOT fit?

Confirmed with previous owner - fit on 97 LT1/T56 car with no clearance issues. Was sold to upgrade to a Spohn for added exhaust clearance (which this lacks, for future reference - Pacesetter LT's & ORY) as this has about 1/4" between the Instant Center Adjuster and the Y-Pipe. And this is mounted in the top most hole.

I have began clearancing the tunnel. It will fit, now, but may rub on hard bumps. I need to finish clearancing.

How have you all proceeded in clearaning for something like this? I current am using (2) ball peen hammers and a dolly, as well as a wooden block. However, I want something that will give me a smoother bend on the metal rather than having to make several hundred ball peen divets and smooth it out.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Mine did the same thing. I bolted it up on the top holes and had to turn the bolts around to get it to clear and ajusted the angle to -2deg. and no problem.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Long story short, I am 100% dissatisfied with BMR's customer service. Plain and simple. I emailed them with pics and full contact information, with a few questions... (is it common to clearance this much, some measurements to confirm it was the right piece, etc.) and they NEVER responded.

Unless they make something that ****s on all the competitors pieces, I wont be buying from them again. UMI or Spohn can take my money instead.

All that said:

The piece is perfect aside from me having to clearance over a half inch in spots with ballpeen hammers and dollies. I finally have enough clearance, that she is in, appears to not be rubbing, and I can go in the highest or second highest instant center adjustment. If it has to go lower, I will have to do some serious exhaust work.

Also, I still need to set pinion angle to -2, maybe -2.5* but other than that, she's in and the project is done. I just have been doing sidejobs everyday for the past 2 weeks so the car has been pushed back and put off lol.

Joe