Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Baer brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Baer brake upgrade

I am trying to put this Baer brake kit in my 95 Z28 with 18" wheels...

Baer Brake 4301333R, Baer Pro+ Systems GM Brake Kits | Baer Brake

My question is can I just change the spindles of a 98-02 camaro? Do I need to change the hubs as well?

I'm looking at this spindles from Hawks ...

Camaro/Firebird 93-2002 Spindle, Used L or R - Hawks Third Generation

Any help is much appreciated..!

Is that essentially what I need ? Or am I missing something else?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:46 AM

Re: Baer brake upgrade

Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:28 PM

Did you already get this kit?If not might read Injunner's post on Brembo brakes on a forth gen car just a few posts down from this one.Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Did you already get this kit?If not might read Injunner's post on Brembo brakes on a forth gen car just a few posts down from this one.Hope this helps.
No I haven't gotten the kit yet... I'll look for injuneers post.. Thanks
Old 06-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 95z_28_camaro_4_Ivan
Any thoughts?
I think the problem here may be that no one here has actually installed that exact kit. At this point on this site, there are maybe a 1/2-dozen people who are long-time LT1 4th Gen owners, trying to help everyone out. The balance of the people coming here are those who just picked up an LT1, and need help sorting out a 20-ish year old car, sometimes in poor condition. This isn't the same site it was 10 years ago,

That said, since the Baer site indicates that kit is for all 4th Gen years, they should be able to tell you whether you need to get LS1 knuckles. I know the 13" Baer kit I bought years ago required cutting the big horizontal arm that supports the stock caliper, off the knuckle with a Sawz-All. Then you used the stock spindle/bearing/ABS sensor cartridge with longer bolts to attach a new mounting plate for the larger calipers. Have no idea whether the kit you are buying is the same. But the instructions that came with my kit were very clear on what was required.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Here is a write up on installing the 13" kit:

Baer Racing 13" Track Braking Kit
Old 06-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Here is a write up on installing the 13" kit:

Baer Racing 13" Track Braking Kit
Thanks for the replies... Yeah I looked at different set ups and I really don't want to start cutting metal off the spindles, plus you have to buy adapter brackets and that in itself could be pricey... That's why I want to go the route of replacing the spindles and knuckles to accept the newer and bigger brake kit. My concern was, if I get the 98-02 spindles/knuckles, is it a straight forward install or is there any special fitment issues to be aware of..?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Administrator

The caliper support brackets came with the 13" LT1 kit, as shown in a photo in my link. And it didn't need new spindle cartridges.... just the longer bolts Baer supplied in the kit.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:33 PM

I too am looking for a way to upgrade rear brakes to a larger rotor without having to spend a smal fortune to do it. Main reason I want to do it is that shortly going to be doing a bunch of upgrades including front brakes to the zo6 and CTS-v calipers and put on a staggered set of rims I got that are 19" in rear and 18" fronts. The thought of those little rear brake calipers behind the 19" rims just seems ridiculous. If I figure out a less expensive way to do it I will let you know but going to be a couple of months till get to that point.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by crazyswede1027
I too am looking for a way to upgrade rear brakes to a larger rotor without having to spend a smal fortune to do it. Main reason I want to do it is that shortly going to be doing a bunch of upgrades including front brakes to the zo6 and CTS-v calipers and put on a staggered set of rims I got that are 19" in rear and 18" fronts. The thought of those little rear brake calipers behind the 19" rims just seems ridiculous. If I figure out a less expensive way to do it I will let you know but going to be a couple of months till get to that point.

Yeah let me know, I'm probably going to start with front brakes and then look in to my rear brakes. I'm thinking of just upgrading the front brake spindles to the ls1 98-02 and get the Baer brake kit. I have 18" wheels so hopefully I can fit the 14" rotors if not the 13"s will do...!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 AM

Have you purchased your front Baer brakes yet?

In '98, I installed Baer Track brakes w/ 13" rotors on the front of my car. Had to perform the spindle ear cutting that Injuneer described. My early kit came with aluminum PBR C4 Corvette calipers. Actually the "upgraded" system didn't stop as fast as my stock setup, so I've compensated with more aggressive pads. I would still like to upgrade to the 6 piston caliper with C5/C6 pads.

Back to the Bear Pro+ install. I believe that the 98-02 spindles have different design and mounting holes for the supplied caliper brackets. Look at the spindle pics that Injuneer posted and then look at the spindle pics from the Baer Pro+ Install Instructions

Here's the link to the Bear Pro+ install instructions:
http://www.baer.com/manuals/6000339.pdf

So, I think you need the 98-02 spindles. Like Injuneer said, just call Baer and they'll clarify.

Added pic of my setup just for grins
Attached Thumbnails Baer brake upgrade-img_0042.jpg