Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Another "how to bleed ABS" with a twist

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM

Another "how to bleed ABS" with a twist

Getting ready to drop my motor/trans back in the car. Coming in from the bottom and needed to open the front brakes to get the assembly out and upgrade to LS1 at the same time. I was told there is a special way to bleed ABS and not to turn the key to ON until they are bled with a Tech 1. My question is this: can I unplug the ABS connectors to be able and start the engine? Is there another safe way to do this? I don't want to have to bleed the brakes before I turn the key to on and "cycle" the ABS. Basically I want to start the engine without putting everything back together like the front suspension, front brakes, steering etc....

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Re: Another "how to bleed ABS" with a twist

ttt, anyone? Getting ready to start the motor and need to know how to do this. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM

You can start the engine without worrying about the abs. When you are ready to bleed the brakes the pistons in the modulator need to be rehomed. The procedure without a Tech 1 is start the car, let it run for 10 seconds without touching the brake pedal. If the abs light goes out, turn off the car. Repeat the procedure, making sure the abs light goes off and that you don't press the brake pedal. Turn off the car and bleed like any other car. Start with the two bleeders on the modulator.

If the abs light doesn't go off I would bleed the brakes and then try the rehome procedure again. Remove a battery cable to clear any abs codes before trying the rehome procedure again. If your abs light stays on after starting the car the manual says you need a Tech 1 to rehome the pistons.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Roger that, I'll give it a shot. I appreciate the reply.