Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

abs/parking brake ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:59 PM

Question abs/parking brake ?

I got my car out for the first time this week and noticed after driving for a bit the abs/inop light came on. The parking brake lever does not engage like it used to either; it takes a few pulls to get it to work correctly; where it use to be just one pull. I did the back brake pads last winter but thought I got it back together correctly. BTW; the abs/inop turns back off when I restart the car but then comes back on when I drive for a bit. Is there anything obvious that I may have screwed up when doing the back pads?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:22 PM

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:17 PM

Well I had a simialer problem a couple weeks ago and it turned out to be an abs relay, thats in the black box under the hood. the way that checked it was i took the fog light relay and switched it with the abs then turned the fog lights on to see if they would work and they didn't and determaned that that was the problem, so i got a new abs relay and everything works now. Hope this helps Jason
Old 04-30-2004, 08:40 PM

Have'nt I heard of people having ABS problems when the brake fluid is stored over winter? I'm sure I have. Just a suggestion, since the only difference is the storage of the car. *shrugs*

[/.2]
Old 04-30-2004, 08:47 PM

Maybe it was something to do with the car being stored over the winter because the light isn't coming on anymore. I've put about 200 miles on the car so far this spring.

I still do have the problem with the parking brake; in the past it only took a single pull to get it to tighten; now it takes 2 pulls. Is there an adjustment somewhere? I did replace the rear pads over the winter.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:14 PM

Yes there is, in fact every time you change pads your supposed to adjust the cable. I dont think it would cause a ABS error light, but I know it would cause an extra pull on the lever. There is a different procedure for drum and disc brakes. The Haynes manual has both ways. If you can't/don't find the text, I'll post it up.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 PM

Thanks Bone Daddy,

I'll take a look in my manual.

Have a great weekend.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:25 PM

Old 05-01-2004, 12:00 AM

A Funny Thing,.......

I had the same type of "intermitant" ABS/Traction Control pronblem with my 95Z. It lasted for about a year & 1/2 & seemed to be related to the timing of a few 17" wheel installs ( after winter ) and in the rain the ABS would quit. It finally got so bad that I had no ABS or traction control at any time. ( I could trick the ABS/TC lights into turning off by pressing on the brake AS I started the car - but as soon as the pedal was released the lights came on again )

There never appeared to be a problem with the "conventional" braking system and I used the Parking brake regularly due to the manual gearbox. ( the parking brake held the car just fine. )

Well - I just dropped that rear end from under the car 2 days ago and found that the parking brake on the passenger side was not working properly and the cable attaching point (under the tunnel) was not connected right as a result.

I can't say that the parking brake problems were the cause of my ABS Failier ---- But that is the only obvious problem and I had NO ABS !!

Hopefully the new LS1 Rear End will be a cure for my Traction Control problems !!!

P.S. I tried all the little tricks to fix the ABS/Traction Control bug like replacing the relays - cleaning the teeth on the axles --- cleaning the grounds -- Ect... and nothing worked. I'm to cheap to pay for the Dealer ABS diagnostics when that $$ can be used for more upgrades !!

I'll re-post if I get my ABS/TC back after installing the rear end !
Old 05-01-2004, 12:49 PM

Interesting... I'd be intersted to see if that was the problem. Keep us updated! Now I'm even happier about removing my ABS. Seems all people have are problems with it.