Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS light and Brake light on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM

ABS light and Brake light on...

So I've noticed that my ABS light is on and my brake light is on...but yet no changes in the braking in my car and my fluid is good. Any suggestions
Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Mine has the same issue.

I put wider tires on it, to stop the brakes from locking during hard decels. It worked, and I'm satisfied.

My 3rd brake light doesn't work, and I know that has something to do with the ABS not working. As for the brake light, I have no idea.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 PM

I have 255/45/ZR18 tires from a C5 Corvette on my car...but that would have nothing to do with these lights being on in my guage cluster...it's just really frickin annoying
Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 95Z28LT1-PA
I have 255/45/ZR18 tires from a C5 Corvette on my car...but that would have nothing to do with these lights being on in my guage cluster...it's just really frickin annoying
My lights came on with my stock wheels/tires, and my stockers would lock up on hard braking. I put wider wheels on, and it prevented the wheels from locking up during hard braking.

I checked the fuses, fluid levels, etc... and couldn't find any easy answers for the brake/abs lights, so I gave up.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by 95Z28LT1-PA
So I've noticed that my ABS light is on and my brake light is on...but yet no changes in the braking in my car and my fluid is good. Any suggestions
Somtimes the programming in the ABS computer gets a glitch. What I have done to clear this is unplug the wiring harness from the ABS box under the hood for a minute or two then plug it back in and see of you still have the lights. Might work for you.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM

is it the brake light on the dash. In my GTP that light was on when I bought it. Found out I needed to add more brake fluid.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Someone needs to move this...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by cblinkdude182
Someone needs to move this...
Your OCD kickin' in this AM?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

One or more of your ABS sensors may have gone bad.

I'll move this to the general tech forum...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM

check your third brake light. I'll bet you both of your bulbs are out. replace them and the light will go away.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by das iroc
check your third brake light. I'll bet you both of your bulbs are out. replace them and the light will go away.
Doh! I like this better than my suggestion. I bet there is even something in the owner's manual about this.

Let us know if anything works.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Malice 1
My 3rd brake light doesn't work, and I know that has something to do with the ABS not working. As for the brake light, I have no idea.
The third brake light will cause these light to come on if both bulbs are out, not the other way around. Just FYI.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM

The light in the dash has nothing to do with brake lights my third brake light comes on and I have my abs light on in my (cluster). The chevy dealer told me it was a bad senso maybe it's me but I don't see where he said his third brake light is out.. As far as your brake light mine did that but it was cause the emergency brake cable was a oil to tight. So see if that's the problum.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator

The "BRAKE" light comes on for two reasons - 1) to tell you the E-brake is engaged; 2) to tell you there is uneven pressure between the front and rear braking hydraulic lines. Once the "BRAKE" light is on due to uneven pressure, the "ABS INOP" light will come on because the brake system has been compromised be a difference in the front and rear pressures.

Could be an air bubble in one of the lines, could be a leak in one of the lines, could be a failing master cylinder, allowing leakage between the front and rear pistons in the master. Could be the pressure differential switch on the side of the ABS unit is "stuck". When the pressure switch gets stuck, sometime you can break it loose with a very hard stop. Just make sure you're in a parking lot where you won't hit something if you try a hard stop. Before you do that, check for leaks, and consider bleeding the brakes.

The "BRAKE" light is not connected to a fluid level switch, but if your fluid is low, you may get air in the system, turning on the light.

We actually have a forum for "Brakes"......
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM

My ABS Light comes on in my 94 Z28 only when accelerating hard. Is the sensor in the rear end bad??

Quick Reply: ABS light and Brake light on...