Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

'97 Z28 Brake Control Module Question

Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM

'97 Z28 Brake Control Module Question

I recently been having problems with my brake lights coming on. ABS INOP, Brake light, and ASR off all together. At first it was intermittent with ASR first then few months later it was the ABS INOP. Followed by the Brake light.

My car failed inspection cause of the Brake light. They scanned the car to see what issue was and told me it was the brake control module. They couldn't find any to replace it with. I've tried looking online and can't find one either. I see plenty on ebay but all w/o ASR and a few other sites that have the re-manufactured part. But again also w/o ASR.

My question is, is it possible to put a brake control module that doesn't have ASR on a car the does have ASR? My car won't pass inspection till I clear that Brake Light fault.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks everyone.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Re: '97 Z28 Brake Control Module Question

The "BRAKE" light comes on for several reasons - 1) E-brake is on or the switch is stuck "on"; 2) there is a difference in the hydraulic pressure in the front and rear braking systems; 3) the EBTCM (electronic brake and traction control module) has set a code related to the ABS relay circuit, one of the four "motors" in the big brake control unit on the drivers inner fender, or failure of the EBTCM.

Did they get the specific code that indicates EBTCM problems?

I suspect it would be fairly difficult to connect an EBCM (no TCS) module, expecting only 3 wheel speed inputs and controlling only a 3 motors ABS pump unit, to a 1997 ABS + TCS system that provides 4 wheel speed inputs and a 4 motor ABS pump unit. The ABS only unit links a single hydraulic line to the two rear brakes, the ABS + TCS system uses a separate line to each rear brake.

You might want to use our Marketplace "Parts Wanted" forum to try and find a replacement EBTCM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The "BRAKE" light comes on for several reasons - 1) E-brake is on or the switch is stuck "on"; 2) there is a difference in the hydraulic pressure in the front and rear braking systems; 3) the EBTCM (electronic brake and traction control module) has set a code related to the ABS relay circuit, one of the four "motors" in the big brake control unit on the drivers inner fender, or failure of the EBTCM.

Did they get the specific code that indicates EBTCM problems?

I suspect it would be fairly difficult to connect an EBCM (no TCS) module, expecting only 3 wheel speed inputs and controlling only a 3 motors ABS pump unit, to a 1997 ABS + TCS system that provides 4 wheel speed inputs and a 4 motor ABS pump unit. The ABS only unit links a single hydraulic line to the two rear brakes, the ABS + TCS system uses a separate line to each rear brake.

You might want to use our Marketplace "Parts Wanted" forum to try and find a replacement EBTCM.
They did pinpoint it was the brake control module. I can live without the ABS and ASR. I'm more concerned in clearing the Brake Light fault. I can't pass inspection without that.

I kind of figured I couldn't just interchange EBCMs. I figured maybe it just wouldn't detect the ASR and work.

I will post in marketplace see if hopefully someone has one. I might need to start hitting the salvage yards too. Just don't know if they'll work or not.

Thank for your help. Really appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM

You need to have the car scanned with either a Tech 1 or Tech 2(GM dealership...or buy one...not cheap as I do own a Tech 1...Tech 2 is even more expensive) and report back the specific codes the ABS system is throwing.(Oops, Injuneer beat me to it). Don't take their word for it, make them give you the specific DTC PXXXX numbers.

Which brings up the question....who scanned it? If the don't have a Tech 1 or 2, I doubt they are seeing the correct DTC codes for the system.

I have my doubts that the unit has failed altogether. I'm sure it's happened before...however I would consider it unusual(have not seen many threads complaining of that module failing).

Last edited by ACE1252; 03-02-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

The ABS trouble codes are DTC Cxxxx numbers.

You can get a Tech2 clone for under $300 now. No guarantee of course.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
You need to have the car scanned with either a Tech 1 or Tech 2(GM dealership...or buy one...not cheap as I do own a Tech 1...Tech 2 is even more expensive) and report back the specific codes the ABS system is throwing.(Oops, Injuneer beat me to it). Don't take their word for it, make them give you the specific DTC PXXXX numbers.

Which brings up the question....who scanned it? If the don't have a Tech 1 or 2, I doubt they are seeing the correct DTC codes for the system.

I have my doubts that the unit has failed altogether. I'm sure it's happened before...however I would consider it unusual(have not seen many threads complaining of that module failing).
I don't know if it was a Tech 1 or 2. I doubt it was as I took it to a Firestone for the state inspection and offered to find out the cause of the lights. Now that you mention that the module rarely fails I think i'll take it to dealership for a real scan. It's cheaper for a scan than the cost of a module. Thank you so much for your input. Brake systems are not my strong point.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug

You can get a Tech2 clone for under $300 now. No guarantee of course.
I think one of these might come in handy for other issues that may pop up. Can you recommend a particular one?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
I was thinking it was P numbers, but you may be right. I can't remember what my Tech 1 stated, but I was looking in the '96 F-body manual and got a shock.

They have just straight numbers as the DTC. Like "DTC 14: ABS Relay Contact Circuit or Fuse Open". No letters at all.

The DTC ranges are 14-166 in my '96 F-body manual. I could have bet there was a letter in front of it and maybe it was the C and I simply can't remember.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by dluna333
I think one of these might come in handy for other issues that may pop up. Can you recommend a particular one?
Gary may can comment better than I on the Tech 2 clones, but I've read they are hit and miss. That is what pushed me to the genuine GM/Vetronix Tech 1....that and they are much cheaper than a genuine GM/Vetronix Tech 2( ~500 vs ~2000+ on Ebay).

The only thing on them(Tech 1) is that for the OBDII cars you need to have the correct mass storage cartridge with the correct year and powertrain options(along with the OBDII adapter cable).

EDIT:Man, I had to go out into that freaking cold garage and check it out(curiosity got the better of me). The Tech 1 history of my ABS lists DTC 33 and DTC 32(no letter at all...I wonder if a Tech 2 is different?). I recently just replaced my front wheel hubs as the ABS INOP light was going on and off at times(no trouble since). Apparently, I just dreamed there were letters in front of the ABS DTCs.

Last edited by ACE1252; 03-03-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM

Yeah, I'm going to make some time to take it in to the dealership. I don't drive the car much but I still need it inspected so I can. I'll have them give me the codes as well. Or if fix is inexpensive enough i'll have them fix it there.

Thinking back some time, I remember having issues with one brake cylinder in rear when replacing the pads. I had a hard time compressing that one. And when I bled the lines that particular one just a trickle of fluid would come out. Firestone said they bled though. Now I don't trust them.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Gary may can comment better than I on the Tech 2 clones, but I've read they are hit and miss. That is what pushed me to the genuine GM/Vetronix Tech 1....that and they are much cheaper than a genuine GM/Vetronix Tech 2( ~500 vs ~2000+ on Ebay).

The only thing on them(Tech 1) is that for the OBDII cars you need to have the correct mass storage cartridge with the correct year and powertrain options(along with the OBDII adapter cable).

EDIT:Man, I had to go out into that freaking cold garage and check it out(curiosity got the better of me). The Tech 1 history of my ABS lists DTC 33 and DTC 32(no letter at all...I wonder if a Tech 2 is different?). I recently just replaced my front wheel hubs as the ABS INOP light was going on and off at times(no trouble since). Apparently, I just dreamed there were letters in front of the ABS DTCs.
Sorry about dragging you out to the cold lol. It's kind of like me once i'm in bed then I start to think,"did I lock the garage door?" So there I go into the cold garage lol. My garage door has the the occasional habit of opening on it's own.

I think i'm going to look into getting one of those clones. Think its handy to have around. My ABS INOP was teh first one to start with the light. It would go off and on. Few days it was off then days later it was back on again. Then the ASR would do the same thing. I was able to turn it off and on with the switch. Now it's just permanently off. And now it's the Brake Light.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

This is where I ordered my second one. It does not come with a case at this price. I was not impressed with the case I received with my first one anyway (from a different seller 2 years ago). That case looked good but didn't hold up well. Both of the main units have functioned perfectly.

Aliexpress.com : Buy DHL Free Shipping 2015 Best Quality GM TECH2 Full Set Support 6 Softwares(GM,OPEL,SAAB ISUZU,SUZUKI,HOLDEN) GM Tech 2 Scanner from Reliable tech2 diagnostic suppliers on super car tool

p.s. I did not incur any customs charges for either item, but that does not mean you won't have to pay them.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 03-06-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:55 AM

I recently been having problems with my brake lights coming on. ABS INOP, Brake light, and ASR off all together. At first it was intermittent with ASR first then few months later it was the ABS INOP. Followed by the Brake light.

My car failed inspection cause of the Brake light. They scanned the car to see what issue was and told me it was the brake control module. They couldn't find any to replace it with. I've tried looking online and can't find one either. I see plenty on ebay but all w/o ASR and a few other sites that have the re-manufactured part. But again also w/o ASR.

My question is, is it possible to put a brake control module that doesn't have ASR on a car the does have ASR? My car won't pass inspection till I clear that Brake Light fault.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks everyone.
I would make sure that all the light bulbs were the exact #'s needed for all the connections.Years ago folks here were installing the wrong bulbs and caused some issues.Also the sockets were toast as well.Hope this helps.(check the numbers on the bulbs).
Old 03-08-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I would make sure that all the light bulbs were the exact #'s needed for all the connections.Years ago folks here were installing the wrong bulbs and caused some issues.Also the sockets were toast as well.Hope this helps.(check the numbers on the bulbs).
I did check those. They're all good. I did have my 3 brake light out some time back that made my brake light come on. I replaced it with exact bulb. Issue gone that time. But back then I did have my ABS INOP come on and off time to time. And the ASR would also work off and on.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:02 PM

I did a bypass on my 97. Ebcm wire harness light green wire. Attach to ground. Light should be off. B.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 Z28 Brake Control Module Question