Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

97 SS panhard bar problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 PM

97 SS panhard bar problem

Okay, just did a fabbed 9 inch rear end swap into my 97 SS. The rear end was used but perfect and looks awesome. I ordered an adjustible panhard bar to move the rear over about 3/4 of an inch but i have used all the adjustment on the panhard bar and it didnt move it out. The car has been curbed before i owned it but my question is if i took the nut off the adjustor and just tightened it all the way down i think that would be enough. Could i do that? If not would it be bad to cut an inch or so out of the middle? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Re: 97 SS panhard bar problem

Take measurements to determine if the attachment points for the panhard bar on the axle assembly and on the body are spaced correctly, and if not, repair them. Look for signs of damage on the upper panhard bar support bar.

Cutting the panhard bar, or using it in a way other than it was designed is like putting a band-aid on a huge wound. Might cover it up, but it won't solve the problem. You know the car has been in an accident that could have distorted the chassis mounting point. If you aren't familiar with how to make the measurements, take it to a good body shop for evaluation.