South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

Chicken's Hurt...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 02:57 PM

Unhappy Chicken's Hurt...

Well there's this stupid dog in my neighborhood that our neighbors like to let run loose whenever he feels like it. He also likes to run out in front of cars and well, he chose mine at 2am this morning to run in front of. Well, I was tired, the roadt was sandy from the construction trucks in our neighborhood, it was wet from rain, and I swerved to miss him at the last second and took out a mailbox instead.

Now I have virtually no right front fender on the car. The mailbox post tore the crap outta the fender. The wheel looks ok and the door and hood are luckily ok. I am really irritated as now I have to go out and spend money on a fender that I can't afford just to be able to drive my car safely. I don't start my new job until Monday, so the cash is a bit tight this month to begin with. It will be at least July before I can even afford to paint it. So, black front fender for the Chicken. Dammit all to hell.

------------------
Jen
1995 Firehawk #608
Featured on Speedvision's "American Muscle Car"
Wheels Up Racing - Officer
CFFB Member #24
Gainesville Muscle Car Association - Member

Bright Red w/Yellow Graphics-Hardtop-6 Speed Manual
All Firehawk Options-Slightly Modified
Online Gallery

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:16 PM

Unhappy

Jen, sorry to hear about the hawk. I swerved to miss a dog once and almost got hit by a semi. In that instance I should have just hit the dog since it was small enough to not cause any real damage and it was the owners fault for letting it out of the gated yard but I just couldn't do it. Anyway, I'm sure the car will look as good as new when its fixed.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:06 PM

I learned to only swerve for people and cows, my life is worth more than a dogs or cats, and damn cow will kill yea...

Travis

[This message has been edited by Thebeast431 (edited June 13, 2002).]
Old 06-13-2002, 06:30 PM

I would venture to guess there is a leash law in your town. File a police report, and go after the owner of the dog. He has home owners insurance. (probably!)

The fenders are plastic. Try and get a junk yard one. Do a search on line. You might get one that matches close enough until you get the $$$ for paint.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2002, 08:55 PM

Might sound a little grose but, i was tuning my car and took it out to test the shift. This was not a rural area at all but there were no cops out so I took her up to 70. Saw a giant racoon trying to cross the road, it was crossing on the down side of an overpass so I couldnt avoid it or I would havew been toast. I tried to time it right but as i speed up he started running. Half a second later there is blood and brains everywere, all over my car and the street. I spent a while cleaner her off and got blood all in my CAI and belts. I still havent cleaned the bottom of the car. I think I will just leave that alone. Anyways, thought I would share that, I try my best not to kill the little guys but sometimes it happends. Drive safely.

PS: They told us in truck driving school not to swerve for anything exept a bus load of nuns. You go swerving 80,000 pounds and you will take everyone out in the process.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:10 PM

Angry

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Did you talk to the dog's owner? They might be willing to help out. You never know. Probably not the way people are nowadays. But it can't hurt to try the nice aproach before you threaten to sue them. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:40 PM

Dog? I thought it was a chicken? Am lost now
Old 06-14-2002, 09:05 AM

My philosophy to animals on the road is to accelerate and go straight. I've seen to many accidents caused by avoiding animals. I figure if they're in front of my car thier time is up on this wonderful planet.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:08 AM

Well you guys have made some really good points in this thread, and I appreciate all the well-wishes with the car.

I have a good friend who has some pull in town, so he's going to see what he can do for me today and call me this afternoon. I'm housesitting right now until Tuesday, so I have the new Cadillac to drive until the grandparents return next week. At least I have transportation until then. All in all it could have been a lot worse. I could have hit a tree, a car, a person. Glad it was just a mailbox and that it didn't come through the windsheild. I could have been hurt and wasn't. I'm thankful all it needs is fender and paint and I'm good to go. It's just completely frustrating.

I'll post pics with from the digi cam when I get them. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your sentiments, they are appreciated. Chicken shouldn't be without a wing for too long.

------------------
Jen
1995 Firehawk #608
Featured on Speedvision's "American Muscle Car"
Wheels Up Racing - Officer
CFFB Member #24
Gainesville Muscle Car Association - Member

Bright Red w/Yellow Graphics-Hardtop-6 Speed Manual
All Firehawk Options-Slightly Modified
Online Gallery

Pain is weakness leaving the body.