Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Why not make lounge posts count on your post count again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Why not make lounge posts count on your post count again?

I don't get why they ever stopped. The lounge is a big part of the site. It may not be all car related, but why only make technical/other forum posts count towards your post count? I've never seen another message board where the general/lounge/etc board posts don't count towards your post count.

Oh, and I also propose you add the "I'm with stupid" smiley holding a sign to the list.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Because people shouldn't get their post counts raised for posting "in before the lock".
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by GrdLockV6
I don't get why they ever stopped. The lounge is a big part of the site. It may not be all car related, but why only make technical/other forum posts count towards your post count? I've never seen another message board where the general/lounge/etc board posts don't count towards your post count.

Oh, and I also propose you add the "I'm with stupid" smiley holding a sign to the list.
Lot's of boards do it, in fact, I think most of the ones I'm on do it that way. Some boards even take post count off completely - which I'm actually learning to really like.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM

You'd get a ton of crappy posts like "in first" It would ruin the lounge.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Mikes 1994 z28
You'd get a ton of crappy posts like "in first" It would ruin the lounge.
Wellll....that already happened, which is why we are having this conversation.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm guessing a separate BS (lounge) post counter is out of the question as well...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator

There seemed to be some sort of e-**** mentality in regards to post counts that encouraged people to make absolutely useless posts, often multiple times, just to reach a certain number... Multiply that mentality by the thousands of members and there was a whole lot of wasted space and bandwidth being utlized for essentially personal ego in regards to post count.

I do see some value to having posts be counted, if the premise is not abused, for such simple things as being able to quantify the activity of board members in general and being better able to perhaps attract advertisers interested in a particular demographic, but the PIA factor was fairly high and so lounge post counts were disabled.

I beelieve it would be completely wrong to assume that today's membership (including myself) is actually any more mature than in past years.

However perhaps a modification of the user agreement/rules might allow a more streamlined approach to enforcing a "useless post" penalty?

I know nothing of the details of the board software but I suspect all posts are actually being quantified although not publically visualized in association with a user name so that the security features of the board can be properly implemented. However this is an assumption on my part with absolutely zero facts to back up my hunch.

Post counts do not matter at all to me since I am usually here on a daily basis and so have a general understanding of who is active and who is not. However I do think that folks who log on weekly or monthly may be able to benefit from seeing who is quantifiably active over an extended period of time. I am uncertain of any actual value, but I do sense there may be some benefit to having lounge posts count, so long as people do not associate high post counts with being cool or having a huge e-****.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TedH
However perhaps a modification of the user agreement/rules might allow a more streamlined approach to enforcing a "useless post" penalty?
I think that would be a huge can of worms to open up. What would be considered useless? A funny picture that may or may not fit the topic of a lounge post? I can see the possibility for a mod to go overboard with that enforcement, and the lounge slowing down even more as less people would post and probably quite a few more would leave.

This wasn't directed at you, Ted, it's just a theory I have as to what would happen if this was implemented.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM

I think it's fine as is.

Helps keep the trolling down in the Lounge as well.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
I think that would be a huge can of worms to open up. What would be considered useless?
The same things that caused this discussion in the first place. "In before the lock" posts "First!" posts, etc. This is already in place, actually . We ask people to be cool about that right in the user agreement, so nothing new is required in that area. Then when they get slapped for it, they throw a fit with how trivial it is and they can't believe they we are so uptight, **** this and censorship that. It winds up being very childish when if there was a bit more respect for the community to begin with, there wouldn't be an issue.

I removed two such posts in this very thread. Yeah, they were jokes, I know but the point stands.

We don't mean to be jerks about things, but sometimes it is easy to look at all the dumb crap and wonder what people think when they read stuff like that. Sometimes, they come here for specific reasons and when there is a good amount of bull**** that stands out, they leave. Not the kind of representation we'd like to offer for this site, which is typically comprised of a lot of great people who mean well and are valuable assets here.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Jason, that pretty much sums it up...

I still do not understand what the attraction is in regards to post counts... It isn't like it is a bank account or something that increases with real value the higher it gets...
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
The same things that caused this discussion in the first place. "In before the lock" posts "First!" posts, etc....
I see your point, and agree with posts like "first!" and "****"...those are fine, but I guess I was just afraid of a snowball type of affect and any post that wasn't directly related to the topic in a serious manner (I'm talking lounge only) would be deleted and infraction points would be handed out.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
I see your point, and agree with posts like "first!" and "****"...those are fine, but I guess I was just afraid of a snowball type of affect and any post that wasn't directly related to the topic in a serious manner (I'm talking lounge only) would be deleted and infraction points would be handed out.
We'd never want that to happen and we hope that our moderators are sharp enough to be able to discern the difference.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JasonD
We'd never want that to happen and we hope that our moderators are sharp enough to be able to discern the difference.
There are days when I'm about as sharp as silly putty. Overall, the Mods pretty much, in my opinion, can understand and interpret fairly and within reason. The crux of the matter is the importance some folks attach to growing it, which is something I simply cannot comprehend... To me it is like placing a high level of importance on always knowing the number of pennies in a top desk change drawer... It may be important to know when the drawer will collapse from the weight but the total value of the pennies isn't worth the effort... Don't even ask how I might know this since my humanity may be exposed... Let's just say I use a plastic bucket to keep all my change in now and empty it once a year into a change machine that donates a percentage to charity.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by TedH
Jason, that pretty much sums it up...

I still do not understand what the attraction is in regards to post counts... It isn't like it is a bank account or something that increases with real value the higher it gets...
I could care less about the post count being a status symbol or anything.

I've been on the board for 7 years, and over the past 4 years or so, I've become less interested in modifying my car, etc, so I've ventured away from the technical forums and just post in the lounge....

I'm mainly just curious as to how many posts I've racked up over the years, but I'll never know.

Plus, with the recent suggestion of adding multiple member title levels, I'll never be able to go up a level!

Quick Reply: Why not make lounge posts count on your post count again?