Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Unauthorized Login Attempts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Unauthorized Login Attempts

I've been getting emails all day from CamaroZ/28 alerting me to unauthorized attempts by someone trying to login under my user ID. The email says it's from the IP address of 174.254.1.2 on the first group of several tries. Then, it changed to 174.235.128.11 on the latest several attempts.

I tried going to those addresses but it times out. Anybody had this problem before? Is there anything else I can do or should I even worry?

I also changed my password to one that's harder to crack.

Dear 69-er,

Someone has tried to log into your account on CamaroZ28.Com Message Board with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 174.235.128.11

All the best,
CamaroZ28.Com Message Board
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Re: Unauthorized Login Attempts

Unless someone higher up the food chain knows something that I do not, changing your password to something with eight letters, one capital letter, and two numbers is a good thing to do. If you can remember well enough you might also add a special character...

I recommend checking ALL other sites on which you have accounts. If one site, even one you forgot about, was hacked and your password/user name got out, then all the sites you belong to are possible targets.

Although it is a pain in the butt, I have different passwords for different sites because one breach could be catastrophic. Plus, for many sites I also change passwords on a regular basis and I never, absolutely never, give out personal passwords.

If I have a problem on a site I always change my password. If I need assistance on a site and I need to provide my password, I always change it afterward. Keeping different passwords for different sites is a huge inconvenience, but it is quite effective at limiting potential damage due to a security breach.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 PM

My new password is much more secure now. You know what's weird; I just got another notification 5 minutes ago, but yet I can still login even though it says I've been locked out for 15 minutes.

EDIT: OK, I'm wrong, it says "this person" is locked out. I guess it's locking out the IP address.

Last edited by damnyankee36; 08-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Funny thing is i got.like 25 emails for the same thing on another forum im on..im not to.worried ..i changed my pw on that forum...i dont thibk i should wory bout my cc accounts and all..i hope lol..something to so with tapatalk i thibk
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Why would they want to hack into this forum under my name? Lol
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jeffny09
Why would they want to hack into this forum under my name? Lol
Automatic login and pow generator that searches domains for opportunities. Nobody is taking the time to care about the actual site. It is a data mining/data extraction attempt.

If you receive notice for a site of failed attempts that you did not initiate, and you verify that you really do have an account with that site, you should take the risk very seriously.

Just imagine if my user name and password that I use here was also used on five other sites that I moderate? I this site were hacked and the sites I came from and went to were included in that information it would be easy to access many sites in a short period of time. If one of those sites was a banking site or credit card site the results could make me a very unhappy camper.

Probably no hacker really cares about what size wheels fit on a Camaro, but the raw data that can be extracted from the user database is valuable to them.

Please take even the slightest suspicion of something wrong as a pain in the butt opportunity to clean up your digital tracks, implement better passwords and user names, and safeguard yourself from the exponentially growing threat of digital hijacking.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Ted, I've tried twice to contact the owners of this forum but have not gotten a response. I'd like to change my user ID. That stopped the hacking attempts on the other site.

Can you do this for me? I'm up to 150 emails!

Larry
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Larry - I've sent you an e-mail.