Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Trader Rating System

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:40 PM

Trader Rating System

I posted this in another thread of some guy getting ripped off. I don't see why ya'll don't have it as it is VERY simple to install and use. It would save alot of headaches and keep alot of people out of getting scammed. I was looking at posts and there are members on here who have cheated people out of money and parts on more then one occasion. I would like to be able to see if this guy has screwed over any people before i buy from him and as of right now that is quite hard.. Please take this into consideration as it would save alot of time and headaches. It's too easy not too..

Description:
This is a rating system for when members buy / sell / trade items from each other (presumably on a FS section of your forum). It is somewhat based on the honor system since there is no automatic way to truly tell if they did engage in a transaction. iTrader came about because it was a pain to try and maintain a single thread listing good / bad traders and so far has worked out quite well.

Features:
Rate another member: Positive / Negative / Neutral
Specify in each transaction: Buyer, Seller, or Trade
Leave multiple comments about the deal
Dates & IPs are all recorded to prevent abuse
Specify a thread URL to the deal
Advanced URL checking
Display ratings over time
Filter based on Buyer/Seller/Trade/or feedback they left for others
Users can edit/delete ratings left for others (time based limitation)
iTrader Admins can edit/delete anyone's ratings (just incase)
PM notification when new rating or comment is left
Per-usergroup permissions
Lots of admin controllable options

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...highlight=ebay

Has worked great so far and is setup to work the same way ebays does. All my members have loved it..
Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 PM

Re: Trader Rating System

yup we need this.. COME ON JASON !
Old 02-20-2006, 06:48 PM

im bout it!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestion. It is appreciated but we simply cannot risk hacking the board database, which I believe that hack does. There is too much room for something to go wrong and since we are not expert database programmers by any stretch, we are not willing to take that chance because if something does go wrong, we would be helpless to fix it. This has been brought up many times before in this very forum, which is why as have a sticky at the top of this forum telling people to SEARCH this forum before posting in it. This raises the question...do people actually read anything before they post? Would any sort of mechanism in place work when no one stops to READ it? Makes me wonder sometimes...you know? But anyway...

However, we have been steadily working on similar similar solutions over the past couple of months. While it may wind up superceding our entry about this subject in the board FAQ (which I assume everyone read ), we haven't given up on it.

As I always say, if a deal has gone sideways, don't waste weeks waiting for multiple PMs and e-mails to be ignored and don't then waste even more time making posts that only frustrate you more because that also gets you nowhere. If you truly feel you have been cheated, just go straight to the authorities who can actually do something about it:
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
Used PayPal? File a claim with PayPal. It is easy.
Used a Postal Money order? Contact the local authorities and see what your options are.

No feedback system or good/bad guy list should take the place of using common sense on any deal. If someone has no means of recourse when a deal goes bad, that can indicate that the necessary precautions before the deal was struck were not taken and possibly should have been.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:01 PM

I think this is a very good idea. Im new here and buying an expensive piece form somebody would be a lot easier if they had all good comments about them. It would make me feal more secure to buy something from some body I dont know. Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD

i used paypal, but they can do nothing bc he marked "shipped" and he had a tracking number and he sent me a different part.. so in their eyes. the product was shipped.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
i used paypal, but they can do nothing bc he marked "shipped" and he had a tracking number and he sent me a different part.. so in their eyes. the product was shipped.
You guys give up too easy!

So according to PayPal, he can send you a clump of dirt and that is okay? Doesn't sound right. I would look into that again. If they don't have anything about that on their web site, call them immediately.
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone
Took me 20 seconds to find that number.

If that doesn't work, file a fraud claim with the FBI (see link above). Don't waste time making posts and complaining, take action...that is the only way something will get done.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 PM

something along those lines for rating sellers would be awesome.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by T/A Racer
something along those lines for rating sellers would be awesome.
See post 4, second paragraph.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 PM

You guys give up too easy!

So according to PayPal, he can send you a clump of dirt and that is okay? Doesn't sound right. I would look into that again. If they don't have anything about that on their web site, call them immediately.
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone
Took me 20 seconds to find that number.

If that doesn't work, file a fraud claim with the FBI (see link above). Don't waste time making posts and complaining, take action...that is the only way something will get done.
i tried filing a claim online and on the phone with paypal.. both said for me to try to contact the seller. i said i have tried to contact them like 5 billion times. and they said there going to "investigate" it, but that next time i should only by if the seller is using the "money back guarantee" ?
i also think that if they see there name getting bashed on here they will try to make things right..but if you lock every "scammer" thread. then they kind of get away with it. just my $.02... also i like camaroz28 alot. i've been on here for a while, and find it to be a very useful site. but i hate how it seems like noone gets banned around here.. on other fbody sites, they ban people for doing stuff like this.. but we just let them stay on this site.. i personallydont understand it.

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 02-20-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:41 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestion. It is appreciated but we simply cannot risk hacking the board database, which I believe that hack does. There is too much room for something to go wrong and since we are not expert database programmers by any stretch, we are not willing to take that chance because if something does go wrong, we would be helpless to fix it.

Your making it seem alot more complicated then it is.. I don't know near as much about computers as you do and i installed this on my forums no problem.. LS1Tech has this same exact "hack" and seems to be working just fine. There is no need to be an expert, just anything that you change make sure you make a backup of beforehand. Pretty simple.

This has been brought up many times before in this very forum, which is why as have a sticky at the top of this forum telling people to SEARCH this forum before posting in it. This raises the question...do people actually read anything before they post? Would any sort of mechanism in place work when no one stops to READ it? Makes me wonder sometimes...you know? But anyway...
With this system they wouldn't have to do searches, look through posts, or anything of the like. The persons rating is right under there post count so you can't miss it.

However, we have been steadily working on similar similar solutions over the past couple of months. While it may wind up superceding our entry about this subject in the board FAQ (which I assume everyone read ), we haven't given up on it.

As I always say, if a deal has gone sideways, don't waste weeks waiting for multiple PMs and e-mails to be ignored and don't then waste even more time making posts that only frustrate you more because that also gets you nowhere. If you truly feel you have been cheated, just go straight to the authorities who can actually do something about it:
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
Used a Postal Money order? Contact the local authorities and see what your options are.

No feedback system or good/bad guy list should take the place of using common sense on any deal. If someone has no means of recourse when a deal goes bad, that can indicate that the necessary precautions before the deal was struck were not taken and possibly should have been.
I just can't understand how these people who have ripped people off multiple times are still allowed to post and sell on here...

What are these necessary precautions are you talking about? I see none in the FAQ or at the top of the F/S section so how am I supposed to know what precautions to take?

I'm not trying to bash anyone here or anything like that. I like this site alot and it's run very well jsut a few things could be used to help out.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
i tried filing a claim online and on the phone with paypal.. both said for me to try to contact the seller. i said i have tried to contact them like 5 billion times. and they said there going to "investigate" it, but that next time i should only by if the seller is using the "money back guarantee" ?
You sound like you have given up again. Do you want your money back or not?

If they are investigating it, it will show as a dispute in your PayPal account. If not, call back and get a different person and MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.

If that doesn't work, file with the FBI. LINK POSTED ABOVE.

i also think that if they see there name getting bashed on here they will try to make things right..but if you lock every "scammer" thread. then they kind of get away with it.
Once again, this has already been addressed. They ALL turn to bickering. They NEVER get resoved when they are bickering. So what is the point? They only get away with it when people think that they shouldn't actually have to do something about it and just wait for things to be made right.

but i hate how it seems like noone gets banned around here.. on other fbody sites, they ban people for doing stuff like this.. but we just let them stay on this site.. i personallydont understand it.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/faq.p...place_feedback

And it is not that easy. That would mean anyone could just say "Hey...ban Donohue96M6Z28, he ripped me off." Guess what? You are banned. Would that be fair to you? How would we know who is telling the truth or who isn't? How would we know who is legit and who isn't? One word against another CAN NOT be proven here by us. Legal authorities CAN. That is their JOB.

Furthermore, banning someone never stops them from simply coming back and selling under a different name and IP in a few minutes time. The FBI, however, can. Again, that is their JOB. They have a WHOLE division for online fraued that deals specifically with this sort of thing. The sad thing is, people historically would rather **** and moan whining that someone should do something. Most of the time, that someone is themselves but they never follow through. Not singling anyone out, but historically, that is the case.

Originally Posted by White H/C 94Z
Your making it seem alot more complicated then it is..
Actually, I made it very simple. We will not hack into the database. We know enough about computers to know what NOT to mess with unless you know what you are doing.

I just can't understand how these people who have ripped people off multiple times are still allowed to post and sell on here...
See above.

What are these necessary precautions are you talking about? I see none in the FAQ or at the top of the F/S section so how am I supposed to know what precautions to take?
Again, common sense. Don't send cash. Get a phone number. Search on the user name...BASIC STUFF FIRST. If someone is old enough to drive, they shouldn't need an FAQ or a walkthough to not blindly send them money to someone they never heard of. Then again, maybe they do...

I'm not trying to bash anyone here or anything like that. I like this site alot and it's run very well jsut a few things could be used to help out.
And like I said it is very much appreciated and we are always open to how we can make things better...but people need to remember that just because we offer explanations that counter the suggestion doesn't mean we are in the wrong. We would love to be able to do all that we can but the logistics just aren't there. Everything is great in theory, but in application it can prove to be very difficult or not applicable at all.

I feel that I am just spinning my wheels here, all of this has already been covered more than once. Funny...I don't think anyone even bothered to read paragraph two of post #4. Again, makes me wonder.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:55 PM

that link doesnt work?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

Well, that does make getting things done a bit tricky, wouldn't it? Either they changed the address recently, or their site is down.

Heh...Sorry about that! I didn't know it wasn't working. Sure did put a wet blanket on my pep talk.

Gvie this a try instead:
http://www.ic3.gov/
Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 PM

ya,.. by the way.. you dont think complaining about it or having a feedback section helps.. but i know alot of problems have been resolved by using there feedback section.. it does help to post up the problem and discuss it nad get opinions etc.. but i'll give up on this..
thanks anyway