Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

and so it begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Re: and so it begins!

for sh*ts and giggles I logged out and turned adblock off.

never again
Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Camride
I'm not ever paying for a premium membership again now that Chris and Jason don't own the site.
Man, I really disagree with this. Ted said it best, but I'd like to add that the measly $10/year at least pays tribute to the guys who created this site and who will still be working hard on it. They're not disappearing, you know.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
Man, I really disagree with this. Ted said it best, but I'd like to add that the measly $10/year at least pays tribute to the guys who created this site and who will still be working hard on it. They're not disappearing, you know.
they also receive 0% of this money unlike before
Old 11-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Participation is also an essential piece.

I'll be honest...I'm part of the Napster generation that expects everything on the internet to be free. It's wrong, but the internet culture is very much a pioneer effort and things were readily shared until the government stepped in.

As I get older, I understand that it's important to support these sorts of things as I understand the time and effort required to make them happen. It's more than just ripping a song off a CD and posting it up for the world to steal; There's a body of work, equipment to be bought and serviced, etc. The resources have to come from somewhere. Since my reappearance on here, I was making my monthly donations to other sites and thinking I should contribute on here again since it's such a good source of entertainment. Seeing that the site was sold made me have second thoughts. I really don't enjoy how "message board companies" buy up independent boards, ***** the ever living **** out of them, and then blow out its members with absurd sponsorships and ridiculous volume of unrelated ads.

That's neglecting to the forum that IS us, though, aside from who owns it or maintains the connections and equipment. There's value there, and the sheer existence of certain screen names will probably encourage me to support the site going forward regardless of who owns it.

Last edited by 97QuasarBlue3.8; 11-10-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM

I just logged in on my desktop (no adblock) and the damage is much worse than i though, and to think IB has only been in charge for a few days. The mess is just getting started, give it a month and this place is going to be filled with ads.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Oh hell....I see them now!.... it's a target add about Micky Buble.....do not want
Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Noscript FTW. They are running new scripts on us from what I can tell. No ads here.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Are we serious right now?

Name:  seriously.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  63.2 KB
Old 11-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by VladimirSteel
they also receive 0% of this money unlike before
You must have missed my point about a tribute (or respect or whatever) to the guys who created this place?

I always thought the general feeling among the people on this board was that you work or sacrifice for stuff that's important to you... no slackers, no handouts, etc. Now people want the benefits of participating here for FREE... and to add insult to injury, they b!tch about the things (advertisements) that are a direct consequence of them not contributing.

I am truly shocked. I thought this place was important to a lot of people... but in actuality it's not even worth $10/ YEAR ??? I just can't believe it.

That's 2.7¢ per day. Un-f'ing-believable
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM

I dont see anything really that different Do premium members get fewer ads or something?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
I dont see anything really that different Do premium members get fewer ads or something?
I was wondering the same thing?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
dtp

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
You must have missed my point about a tribute (or respect or whatever) to the guys who created this place?

I always thought the general feeling among the people on this board was that you work or sacrifice for stuff that's important to you... no slackers, no handouts, etc. Now people want the benefits of participating here for FREE... and to add insult to injury, they b!tch about the things (advertisements) that are a direct consequence of them not contributing.

I am truly shocked. I thought this place was important to a lot of people... but in actuality it's not even worth $10/ YEAR ??? I just can't believe it.

That's 2.7¢ per day. Un-f'ing-believable
I do find it funny that some people have trouble spending money on certain things but don't think twice about shelling out 4 bucks for a latte...
Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Adblock, adblock, adblock. I don't see any ads.

Dope
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
That's neglecting to the forum that IS us, though, aside from who owns it or maintains the connections and equipment. There's value there, and the sheer existence of certain screen names will probably encourage me to support the site going forward regardless of who owns it.
That goes both ways, and why I am not a paying member anymore.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Being a Premium Member is a value situation for me. I want this site to remain. I use it for the LT1 Tech section once in a while, and the archives are great, too. If the search gets improved, so much the better. So for me, the small membership is worth it to help pay for that. It's a valuable resource to me and I wouldn't want it to go away. Also, I use Adblock, and I know I'm not contributing to the normal revenue stream for the site. So supporting it some other way is 'right'. Alternately, it's like I'm taking the option to pay about $.03/day not to have to see ads. That's a bargain.

Now that I think about it, I guess when I see 'Premium Member' under a screen name, I tend to think of them as a more core part of the community, too.

Quick Reply: and so it begins!