Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

and so it begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Re: and so it begins!

I'm noticing the ads more when I browse from my phone, thought it was just me being oblivious but no.. those definitely weren't there before.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by DonHood
That's just for the Lounge. They probably picked up on the fact we're all full of ****.
Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm getting targeted ads... a little while ago there was one along the elft side for a local state farm insurance agent, complete with local Battle creek phone number for her.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Maybe if more than 59 people were "premium" (paying) members of this board, fewer ads would be needed.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
Maybe if more than 59 people were "premium" (paying) members of this board, fewer ads would be needed.

Then our secret forum section for Premium Only members would get too crowded!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
why log in?

it allows tracking. your public IP address will usually change every so often &/or you can clear cookies.
So I can see what threads Ive posted in, and which ones have new posts?

Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28
That banner add at the top under the search bar is really pissing me off. The search bar itself is pissing me off. It's just tacky.
and is this a joke? The banner under that search bar has ALWAYS been there... its the "suporting vendors" that have always sponsored the site. They have actually been useful to me before. (the search bar is kinda weird, but not that bad)

and besides that banner, the only other ad Im getting is a small banner at the bottom of the page. Im pretty sure its always been there, and right now its for "lt1boost.com" so it seems like its a pretty normal ad for this forum

Edit: and now its for f-body vinyl, which i know is a supporting vendor, and someone who Ive ordered from before
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Oh snap the Banana Republic after 5 event..better hurry!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob

I'm not ever paying for a premium membership again now that Chris and Jason don't own the site.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by VladimirSteel
and is this a joke? The banner under that search bar has ALWAYS been there... its the "suporting vendors" that have always sponsored the site. They have actually been useful to me before. (the search bar is kinda weird, but not that bad)
I'm aware the banner has always been there, but it didn't take up 3" of vertical space before. Now you have the search, blank space, ad, blank space, vendor, more blank space.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Camride
I'm not ever paying for a premium membership again now that Chris and Jason don't own the site.
But then we will see more ads, and it will all be your fault...jerk

But really the money would help the site, and maybe if more were paying to support the site, then is it possible we would see fewer ads on here?

I dont mind the banner ads at the top because there has always been something there....but that search bar is out of place because there is already a drop down search that I would rather keep.

Last edited by Chevycobb; 11-10-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM

I've stated seeing a lot of adds on pictures. Also there are the adds that are in actual post form.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM

I am leaning heavily in this direction as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I will disagree with your statement. While I fully share and agree with the concept of paying into a site when you know there are two guys busting their butts to provide it, and I agree (in general) with not paying a corporation when the majority of benefits are offered "free".

No matter how well built, well intended, or how honorably treated, this site is where this community meets. Regardless of ownership, this site is where we have all come together based upon a common theme.

If we, as users and patrons of this site, diminish our contribution to it, monetary or otherwise it reflects upon us, not the owners, regardless of who holds the paper.

I have always considered voluntary contribution by the members as a way of respecting not only the site in general, but ourselves, as we are part of this community.

I have no horse in the race so it does not personally matter to me what any individual chooses to do, or not, in regards to site membership. And perhaps site membership details will change going forward (I have no idea).

So what I see is that some of us may be able to make a difference by contributing to the site instead of waiting for low expectations to be met. Maybe I am simply wishing for a more simple and honorable way of life, and maybe I am simply "wrong" in my expectations, but I have always firmly believed in providing the benefit of the doubt until I am proven wrong.

As a moderator on several other boards I have seen ownership changes come and go and sometimes it is for the better and sometimes for the worse. I believe is giving everyone a fair shake.

All I ask is that anyone considering becoming a paid member or considering non-renewing, think it over before they finalize their decision. That is all I ask.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I've stated seeing a lot of adds on pictures. Also there are the adds that are in actual post form.
Where do you see these??
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28
I'm aware the banner has always been there, but it didn't take up 3" of vertical space before. Now you have the search, blank space, ad, blank space, vendor, more blank space.
I dont have that at all

Quick Reply: and so it begins!