Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 PM

Re: Slow?

Much improved.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 AM

Just the past 2 days have been slow for me.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM

I'll have to try again at home tonight, but as of last night, still not working. It seems to be working good here at work today though .

...uh, I mean, at "my buddy's place", yeah .
Old 11-18-2005, 09:20 PM
jms

Don't know really where to begin. I really hope this will be deleted after an administrator sees this.

I am typing this at home on my 9 yr old laptop connected thru a phone line.
We'll call this computer "A". It is set up ONLY for phone line and was mainly used for computer tuning my car. Running Windows 98.

Computer "B" is my home 6 month old Dell. Has lots more stuff than other computers I have. Including Norton protection. On DSL. Running XP.

Computer "C" is my old home computer (7 yrs old). Also on DSL. Running 98.

Computer "D" is my recently acquired IBM notebook (about 3 yrs old). Running Windows 2000. Wireless set-up thru my home router connected to "B" and "C".

"A", "B", "C", and "D" all run thru SCRTC (scrtc.com).

Obviously, I'm connected to this site on "A" but thru phone line.

"B", "C", and "D" will connect to any other internet site EXCEPT this one (camaroz28). With the router hooked up or without the router hooked up. ANY OTHER SITE is available.

I was last able to get on this site regularly Sunday night (Nov.13). Monday night was a no-go. Tuesday, I kept getting a page unavailable message.

However, I was able to reach the site and posted 11-15-05 at 7:05 and was unable to get back on again.

I took computer "D" to work and used that wireless connection and it connected to this site right away. No problem. Different server (thru Mediacom). Brought it home. Can't connect.

I've even tried the short cut provided of 64.65.63.61 and its variations/forums/https/www's etc. etc. NO LUCK any way I tried. On any of my home computers except this old phone line laptop.

My work computer allows me to see this site easily. It was slow loading until today (Friday), then fine.

I contacted my service provider Thursday morning and he said from his computer he could load this site. BUT, he said they had just installed a new DNS and was on that one (making three in all).

I am on DNS 66.38.0.240 and 66.38.0.241 (the other is 66.38.0.242). I told him this site has/is installing a new server. He said sometimes it takes a few days for DNSs to "talk" with each other---similar to the way fax machines communicate before sending the message.

I asked him if any of these DNSs were blocked or banned and he said it didn't appear that way.

WHAT GIVES? Is there any way to have this site's server checked to see if it recognizes the above DNSs?

This is not fun, using a phone line, after getting used to a DSL. lol. And this is more work than this old laptop has seen in years. lol again.

I have no problem getting on this site at work but, unlike many here, I need to work at work.

I am NOT computer literate. I just learned DNSs this week. HEEEELLLLPPP !

jms
jmssrf@scrtc.com is my home email
Old 11-19-2005, 01:27 PM
jms

This is being posted on computer "D" on Mediacom internet at my parents home which is about 200 feet from my house but they use different provider. Absolutely no other changes to this computer.

Still have not been able to connect on scrtc dsl line on any computer at home.

Computer "A", the old laptop, connecting through phone line is still working. Was on this site this morning with it.

It must be an issue between this sites server and my server (scrtc.com).

HELP.

jms
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
jms

Any word on this situation?

I'm posting from work. I cannot connect to this site on my home dsl lines (I can still connect to ANY other internet site, though). I can take the laptop ("D") to another location and with no changes to any settings, I have no problem hooking up to this site. I can still connect to this site on my phone line at home, through computer "A".

I do not need to keep tying up my phone line to use "D" to get to this site. Sick family members and besides that, I pay for DSL service, I should be able to use it.

I keep getting this error:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#https://www.camaroz28.com

I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem but I suspect others may also be having this issue and not have the means to try other computers to contact this site.

Once again, HELP!

jms

*edit---there is no underline on the camaro z28 part of the actual error message.-jms
Old 11-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sorry you are having this problem and a BIG thank you for the great information.

I can promise you that we are looking into it.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 PM

I was trying earlier from on campus and it was slooooow.

Got home in a different town... still sloooow.

I just tried posting a Quick Reply to a Lounge thread. It never posted. After 5 minutes I refreshed the page. It refreshed, but I had to log back in.

I'm thinkin' this server is not as good as our last one, which was 99% trouble free.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:55 PM

It looks like some kind of database problem. Randomly slow for me.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
jms

Yayyyyyyyy!!!!

I'm getting to this site just as I used to.

Just a little slow but certainly faster than dial-up.

I came here, left and came back.

Here's hoping it continues to work. (crossing fingers)

By the way, do you know what the problem was?

Thanks,

jms
Old 11-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by jms
Yayyyyyyyy!!!!

I'm getting to this site just as I used to.

Just a little slow but certainly faster than dial-up.

I came here, left and came back.

Here's hoping it continues to work. (crossing fingers)

By the way, do you know what the problem was?

Thanks,

jms
The short version was a very peculiar firewall problem, which was finally seemingly fixed today. We were trying to track it down for a couple of weeks and it was NOT easy. It seemed to only affect a VERY small percentage of people, but I (along with you) was among them. Yep, you and a few others were not the only one...even I could not get to the site from work during the day myself. It was VERY strange. At first, I thought it was an issue with my work's connection...but then I found out otherwise.

The posts you made with all the detail really helped us out and I want to thank you very much for your efforts (look at your user title).
Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 PM
jms

Thanks for the "step-up in stature". lol

Glad I was a help.

You've probably heard the old saying: You don't know what you had until its gone!

Well, I don't post much but I do enjoy reading.

Again, THANKS for all the work on this site!

jms