Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Re: You have got to be kidding me. Fake Engine sounds.

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
except its the exact opposite of that
Really? I guess Im just too ignorant on stuff like this. It appeared the same to me. But I know nothing about how this stuff works.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by redneckgames
Really? I guess Im just too ignorant on stuff like this. It appeared the same to me. But I know nothing about how this stuff works.
the picture of the video in the post is bigger than the actual video that pops up...
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM

I definitely agree with the majority of the others in this thread. Not digging the whole pop-up thing with the videos. It takes over the whole window.. and now I have a bunch of dark space, ads, and a tiny *** video to watch. I think the embedded videos right in the post is 1000x better than this, and when I heard talk of embedded videos being supported.. that is what I was picturing and hoping for.
This is a message board. Not every thread is related.. and having the view other videos is extremely pointless, especially in the lounge. When I click on a thread.. I'm interested in that topic. That's what I plan on reading when I enter it. Showing me other videos from other completely unrelated threads is pointless. Keeping the tv.camaroz28.com is fine, so if people want to use that they have the option. But I don't feel that many would use it in the thread, if I want to see random videos I'll just go to youtube. Anyway to make these things a user option I can tick off in my preferences?

Just my opinion on this. Either way its not going to change how often I frequent the site
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM

After reading all the reviews on here... I'm afraid to click the poo-up video

If it's not broken... don't fix it.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by donot_4get
If it's not broken... don't fix it.

what if it didnt exist to begin with?

I am interested in hearing more detailed reasons for not going with the old style of embedding it in teh post.

That's a very old solution and creates a ton of other usability problems.

It also does not integrate with CamaroZ28's current video solution.
more details on this please
Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Hey everyone,
I really appreciate all the feedback, good and bad.

As has been mentioned before, the old solution was just a link to YouTube, so there really was no solution before. But to accommodate that feedback I think an easy compromise is to insert a link to YouTube in the video preview window located in the thread. This should accommodate people that like the old way of just bypassing any new features and going straight to YouTube, yes?

Let me know.

Secondly, the major issue we have with embeding the video player in the thread is that we only have 525px of width to play with. That means a very small player and not a lot of room for features, much less that ad that covers the cost of the extra server required to run this.

The original design was embeded in the thread, but the user feedback was universaly negative. The modal window solution was agreed to as being better.

However I agree it's not very quick and I think we can greatly speed it up by using a lighter script with less JQuery. That will make it feel far less clunky and more natural.

On the video player size in the modal window, we really can make that as big your browser allows, perhaps even do a design where it's the full window based on percentages or something, or maybe just do a 640px player. Either way it would be much larger than if we put it directly into the thread.

We'll play with some designs on our end over the weekend and hopefully have some improvements ready next week.

One more thing. I know that everyone likes to talk about what they don't like. But it's also helpful for me to know what you do like too. That way we don't accidentally delete a feature people enjoy. So please do play around with it, post some videos, and also check out the companion site this solution is creating on the fly.

http://tv.CamaroZ28.com

You might find some things about it you like and I want to make sure we accentuate the good, reduce the bad, and make the best solution possible for CamaroZ28.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM

The tv.camaroz28.com site is cool...

Although thanks to GRDLock you might as well rename it to "tv.reddit.com".
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
As has been mentioned before, the old solution was just a link to YouTube, so there really was no solution before. But to accommodate that feedback I think an easy compromise is to insert a link to YouTube in the video preview window located in the thread. This should accommodate people that like the old way of just bypassing any new features and going straight to YouTube, yes?
This would make me happy.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Also on tapatalk, I get a massively long paragraph of script from the autostream. Probably not your fault.

-Droid 2 Global-
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Re: Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

what are teh constraints you have to work with?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM

I liked it better before, when I could just use the Chrome extension I put together to embed videos on the site. This new implementation overrides my extension so it doesn't work anymore.

I think that's what everyone was hoping for who wanted an embed video feature... was an embed video feature. Not some fancy ajax/css/whatever popup with all this other stuff in it. Just something that embeds the video on the page, and that's it. Simply enabling the [embed] tag on the message board itself would have been sufficient.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Originally Posted by CaliChevyLover
Also on tapatalk, I get a massively long paragraph of script from the autostream. Probably not your fault.

-Droid 2 Global-
It's not. Tapatalk seems to do that with most everything that isn't vbb code?? At least that's what I think I'm noticing.

I like the idea of giving people options. Personally I find it easier and just as fast to have the window than to double click the video, let a new browser window open, load youtube, then click again to fullsize. But I also see how it can be disliked. Options rock.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM

This is what I would like:

Something built in.
Is that not possible?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by one wicked element
This is what I would like:

Something built in.
Is that not possible?
it sounds liek they tried somthing liek that but they had to have Ads next to it and with the Ads teh video was tiny.

i believe whatever solution they use has to have some revenue tied to it to cover the costs.
correct?

i believe the solution you gave as example may be considered a "hacked up plug in".... i didnt know it was a hack job type of thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
what are teh constraints you have to work with?
We needed something that was stable and didn't leave open security holes or something that a script kiddie wrote in his basement.

We wanted something with support. Most of the VBulletin hacks out there don't have it. Not to mention, security is an issue with those as mentioned before.

We wanted something that had more features. Just like you can view people's other posts and threads, now you can view their videos that they posted.

Originally Posted by GrdLockV6
I liked it better before, when I could just use the Chrome extension I put together to embed videos on the site. This new implementation overrides my extension so it doesn't work anymore.
Dandy for those using Chrome but not everyone does. This works with all browsers (any bug reports if not already reported would be appreciated).

Simply enabling the [embed] tag on the message board itself would have been sufficient.
You may not know that we tried that before and at first, it worked fine...until some jackasses though it would be funny to add a dozen videos in a row to their sig. Haha...that sure was cute. Then we were alerted to the ability of the site being hacked because it allowed a breach of the site for a script injection. Nope....not going there again.

Folks, this is what we are going with. There really isn't anything like this out there. We are the first to use it. You might not know it, but this is the result of several months behind the scenes. I am sorry if some don't like it, but it seems that whenever we make any changes...we get the same complaints with no assistance of what we can do to improve. We also get some suggestions that we can work with, but some we end up just ignoring them since we cannot do anything based on them. It is even worse when the complaint is laced with an insult or just as bad, exaggerations that make it look bad when it really isn't. No need for that when we are just doing our best to do something that is cool and useful for the majority.

There are tons of cool features in this system that no one has right now...and if you just use it, you will see how this ties everyone's videos together. I am sure everyone here has killed a lot of time just checking out YouTube videos. I know a have found myself watching for hours almost by accident. That is why they are all linked together, it provides greater enjoyment. Now the same type of connectivity is here.

The people behind this are the same as who started Streetfire. We have known them since before this site existed and we will all continue to work toward making the system better. With everyone's useful suggestions and assistance, we will make it as good as we can!

So please, if you like it, use it and enjoy it. If you don't like it, still use it but let us know how we can improve upon it. All useful help is appreciated. All insults or useless griping will be ignored/deleted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread