Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Re: Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

i think the biggest change you can do whiththe existing system is to make the actual video larger. the fact that it is smaller than the picture of the video in the thread is a big turn off.

i bet its a big let down for first tiem users. they see a video, they click it, a big window pops up and they expect a big video and then BAM, its a tiny video surrounded by other stuff.

i think somthing without a pop out window would be prefered but it sounds liek that is not an option at this point.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just testing something...

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=144&t ransactionid=1296246299-67149162160&posted_by=JasonD_camaroz28.com[/autostream]
Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I am sorry if some don't like it, but it seems that whenever we make any changes...we get the same complaints with no assistance of what we can do to improve.
No offense, but everyone in the thread is offering suggestions of what to do, but they're simply being ignored. The majority of the suggestions are to simply embed the video directly on the page, rather than in fancy popup. Nice and simple. If you can embed the video in a popup, you can embed the video directly on the page, but without all the extra stuff. When there's a video posted in a thread, most people simply want to watch the video. If they feel like browsing around through other videos, then they can do that elsewhere. This is basically taking something that should be simple and basic, and turning it into some super fancy feature with stuff people don't need, IMO.

If there's some monetary deal involved here that helps generate more revenue for the website through the use of this thing, then just say that's the reason and be done with it. If that's the case, I have absolutely no issues whatever with something that can help generate more money for the site. But if that's not the case, don't ask for suggestions but then not listen to any of them when everyone's asking for a more simpler video embed.

Oh, and I know that Chrome extension wouldn't be a substitute for this feature for everyone, obviously. I was simply using what it does as an example for what I feel most of the people in this thread are wanting the video embed feature to be like.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 PM

No offense, but everyone in the thread is offering suggestions of what to do, but they're simply being ignored.
didnt he address some of it in post 47?

jason, is $ an issue? I imagine videos is adding to the cost and needs to be sported somehow. is making the video feature self supporting a constraint you are trying to work within?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 PM

ill say it again (kinda, maybe i didnt say it directly last time), I wish i could still click on the video and go to youtube. I can do that the way most forums do it, and on facebook for instance, i can click on the title of the video and it opens a new tab going to the video on youtube. I can access the link to the video with the z28 way, but i have to open the popup, click on the youtube menu, copy the embed link it shows, open a new tab and paste it in the address bar. Its annoying as ****. If I could switch back to just a youtube link I would. I wish I had a setting.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
didnt he address some of it in post 47?
Well, he mentioned about security issues when using the [embed] tags that vBulletin comes with. But in my last reply, I wasn't talking about using those.

I'm saying they could simply embed the video on the actual thread using iframes, ajax/dhtml, rather than in a giant popup. Because the actual embeded video is all most people seem to care about... not all the extra stuff the popup offers.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by GrdLockV6
No offense, but everyone in the thread is offering suggestions of what to do, but they're simply being ignored.
No offense, but you are incorrect. We are reading everything in this thread that is worth reading...skipping the BS as I mentioned. Just because we don't make every suggestion reality immediately doesn't mean that we are ignoring it. In addition, disagreeing does not mean ignoring.

The majority of the suggestions are to simply embed the video directly on the page, rather than in fancy popup. Nice and simple. If you can embed the video in a popup, you can embed the video directly on the page, but without all the extra stuff. When there's a video posted in a thread, most people simply want to watch the video. If they feel like browsing around through other videos, then they can do that elsewhere. This is basically taking something that should be simple and basic, and turning it into some super fancy feature with stuff people don't need, IMO.
Thanks for the opinion, we got it.

If there's some monetary deal involved here that helps generate more revenue for the website through the use of this thing, then just say that's the reason and be done with it. If that's the case, I have absolutely no issues whatever with something that can help generate more money for the site. But if that's not the case, don't ask for suggestions but then not listen to any of them when everyone's asking for a more simpler video embed.
Thanks for that. Revenue is always part of it. We gotta pay our bills. But that is not the only reason. We want something more robust than just sending people over to YouTube. This is a community, we we want that connectivity between the community members.

Once again, you are saying "everyone" which isn't true. If you mean all of the people who agree with you, then say that. But that cannot be "everyone".

Thank you for your thoughts. I can assure you that I have read it, and I will make sure that everyone on the dev side of things will read it, discuss it, consider it, and perhaps dream about it. If we disagree, it will be because we have other considerations in mind but it will not necessarily mean that we are ignoring it. This goes for all posts in this thread that have substance to them.

How's that? Satisfied?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM

How's that? Satisfied?

Ok, deal. Shake on it!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
jason, is $ an issue? I imagine videos is adding to the cost and needs to be sported somehow. is making the video feature self supporting a constraint you are trying to work within?
It needs to be self-supporting. It will work the way that it is built now.

Oh...but that reminds me...make sure that when someone posts acting all proud about blocking ads here like it is a cool thing to do, you can thank them for us needing to find more revenue to keep the site going. Basically, when our revenue stream is stopped, this site goes away. In order to avoid that, we need to make ends meet. When they block the minor amount of ads we need to survive, they only make it so we have to add more to those who don't block them. Sounds awfully fair, doesn't it...

But I digress...

Originally Posted by VladimirSteel
ill say it again (kinda, maybe i didnt say it directly last time), I wish i could still click on the video and go to youtube. I can do that the way most forums do it, and on facebook for instance, i can click on the title of the video and it opens a new tab going to the video on youtube. I can access the link to the video with the z28 way, but i have to open the popup, click on the youtube menu, copy the embed link it shows, open a new tab and paste it in the address bar. Its annoying as ****. If I could switch back to just a youtube link I would. I wish I had a setting.
Cool, thanks! I am make sure the guys note this, I think someone else was leading toward this as well.

This is just the first rendition of the system, we will keep making it better as time goes on.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM

i would also like to request more slayer tests please
Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Embedding youtube videos the old way.......there's no "cost" to the site that way.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Oh...but that reminds me...make sure that when someone posts acting all proud about blocking ads here like it is a cool thing to do, you can thank them for us needing to find more revenue to keep the site going. Basically, when our revenue stream is stopped, this site goes away. In order to avoid that, we need to make ends meet. When they block the minor amount of ads we need to survive, they only make it so we have to add more to those who don't block them. Sounds awfully fair, doesn't it...
I completely feel ya there. Whenever I see anyone on any forum bragging about adblock, I always do my best to make them feel like crap. I run a couple sites that rely on ads as well, so I know what a pain it can be to balance ads on your site to generate the revenue to pay for things... which is why if it's about money, then I'm all for the feature.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by J3ff
Embedding youtube videos the old way.......there's no "cost" to the site that way.
Wasn't I just accused of ignoring posts? Read mine above.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

What about just taking exactly what shows up in the pop up......and making it show up in the post.

I'd be fine with it if I didnt have to wait 1-2 seconds for the window to come out.

Just have it load when the pages load ?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by GrdLockV6
I run a couple sites
links to the sites besides the one you posted in teh other thread.

What about just taking exactly what shows up in the pop up......and making it show up in the post.

I'd be fine with it if I didnt have to wait 1-2 seconds for the window to come out.

Just have it load when the pages load ?
would size be an issue then, that would be a big thing to add in a small space.

Quick Reply: Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread