Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Re: You have got to be kidding me. Fake Engine sounds.

Originally Posted by CatsTasteGood
I think something like this is what most people want:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17587671-post128.html
That's a very old solution and creates a ton of other usability problems.

It also does not integrate with CamaroZ28's current video solution.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CatsTasteGood
I think something like this is what most people want:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17587671-post128.html
Originally Posted by CaliChevyLover
I like it better then not having embedding videos at all. But I want a non pup up version.
Technically speaking it's a "modal window". A pop-up is an entirely new browser window and is considered bad design. Modal windows are very common and are key user interface elements on most sites (for example Facebook uses them).

Now if you don't like modal windows, I get ya. The original design was actually as you described, but it took up too much space in the thread.

By making it a modal window we were able to make the video embed larger and hold extra functionality.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Cool Re: You have got to be kidding me. Fake Engine sounds.

Now if you don't like modal windows, I get ya, some people like them. The original design was actually a forum embed but it was too large. By making it a modal window we were able to make a larger window, that holds a bigger player and offers you more options like seeing other videos posted to CamaroZ28, and what CamaroZ28 users are posting videos.
Thank you for pointing that out Adam, I was just going to say something like that but yours was so much better. The current design allows you to view the video posted, as well as any other videos currently in the thread, or even across the entire site...and your not leaving the thread at all. If you don't want to continue watching the video, you can either click the close button or anywhere outside of the black box and your instantly back in the thread. It's actually a very intuitive and smart design.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by one wicked element
That's the problem. We don't want "more". We want less (maybe I should say me/I?).
I understand that too. I like clean designs as well, but we have to work within the site limitations and existing design.

In the bold part, you just described YouTube in the method you want to deliver videos. Why? If I wanted a social network video site, I would go there.
In the old solution you go to YouTube and get sucked into a flame war with an 8 year old that thinks the Honda Civic rulz all.

We're trying to create a solution that makes it so you can enjoy videos here without having to leave.

Most people on forums are not trying to search for videos, or need a search bar....
I can reverse that and say.
Right now I am unable to find videos that were posted by my friends to CamaroZ28, and I keep getting bounced to YouTube.

I think if you and I can design a cool solution together then we all benefit and CamaroZ28 becomes a place where I can find cool Camaro videos too!

On a forum, we (I), want to say "Hey, check out this vid". That's it. That's all we need. If I want to spend time browsing videos, I'll find a site that's designed to do it - not as an after thought plugin for a forum.
I like to watch what my car buddies like to watch.
Where do I go to watch videos that Camaro enthusiast have posted?
http://tv.camaroz28.com

I would like to see a post with an embedded vid, hit play (without being removed from that post/site) and be able comment, or scroll on the forum.
The current solution does actually do that, but I think we can both agree that you don't like that we chose a modal DIV.

The original design was embeding it in the forum, but the feedback was the video was too small and it took up too much space.

The modal window actually creates a bigger video player. I can make it even larger, perhaps if the video itself played larger it would be a good compromise?

The current setup is worse than if I clicked a link directly to YouTube and then had to come back here. If you want ads, put them next to the video in the embed window/script.

The pop-up/out idea is horrible. No one has ever said "Hey, you know what "x" site needs? MORE pop-ups!!". Please stop with the pop-up/outs, please....
Don't want to make the site worse! So far we've gotten a lot of feedback saying people like the pop up better than having it in the thread, so actually you are in the minority of our feedback, but that doesn't mean you are wrong, it means I need to try to make a smarter solution.

The simple embed isn't a great solution for CamaroZ28 for a number of reasons.

Hmmmmm.... What if we made a smaller preview window that was less obtrusive in the post, when you click it, the video plays full page with the social features under the video? ( i can do a mock up over the coming day, would love to get your feedback).
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

I like it! Great work Adam! Give it some time guys, there's a lot of things I don't like when they first change. It just takes some getting used to.

On the video, is it just me or is that horrendous copy of a BOV sound to slow?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM

I have absolutely no problem with the modal window, I just want it bigger. Currently when you click on the video it ends up being smaller in the modal window than it is in the thread preview.

Make it the full size of the browser (or just a little smaller than the browser so you can click outside of it to get back to the thread) and I'll be a happy camper.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
That's a very old solution and creates a ton of other usability problems.

It also does not integrate with CamaroZ28's current video solution.
The wheel is an old solution too, but it still works just fine.

I abhor modal windows.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM

the video thing is OK. i would prefer the "very old solution"

EDIT: its actually not OK, I was wrong.

IMO if your going to pop up a big *** window then you need to follow through with a big *** video.

this big *** window with a tiny portion of it being the video is very annoying.

the picture of the video in the post is bigger than the actual video that pops up.....i bet that really pisses people off

Last edited by camaro383tt; 01-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by redneckgames
i dont think the video popup is that bad. just reminds me of when people post tiny pics and when you click on them a much larger pic pops up.

Doesnt bother me.
except its the exact opposite of that

The original design was embeding it in the forum, but the feedback was the video was too small and it took up too much space.
the original design is good. peopel can double click it if they want to make it bigger.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by TallicA32
"Hey, check out this video you will find cool...and a bunch of other videos and other useless stuff you will not find cool"
How is that different than just posting the link?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM

ive gotten more used to it, but I dont really care for it much. Its a lot like when we had the picture thing where you had to click on the thumbnails, and it would "pop up" the same "model window" thing. Ya, you could hit the arrow and scroll through all the pics in the thread, but the "old" way was much simpler and user friendly. That wasnt very well accepted either. I would almost prefer a link to youtube, but i would for sure prefer the "very old solution". Where is this video from? I cant tell with this pop up or whatever. What if I want to add it to my favorites on my youtube, or subscribe to the person whos video it is?

edit- nevermind, now it looks like its showing up as a youtube video once it pops up. idk if it wasnt doing that earlier or i just didnt notice.

Last edited by VladimirSteel; 01-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:12 AM

I'd much rather click a youtube link (or not watch the video at all) than deal with this popup video interface. Might sound harsh but that's my honest opinion.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 01-28-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 AM

It's a shame, because I could also do a quick reply while the video still played.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Koz

I'm also more accustomed to a video that plays right in the post. However I like the idea of being able to play the video in the post (maybe at the expense of picture quality), or double clicking on it or something like that to launch a bigger version of it.

camaro383tt has a great point point though, it looks like when you launch it currently, the video actually appears smaller than the image in the thread (on my 14" laptop). Including a search bar or something like that would be interesting, but really I just want to see the movie and nothing else.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

1. even on a super fast connection it takes a second or two to launch.

2. The popup modal window doesn't make the video any bigger.

3. I don't want to watch other related videos...

4. The old way was instantly ready before you even clicked play ...

I am not a fan of the new way for those reasons.

Quick Reply: Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread