Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread

btw, i hate this video interface crap-- why can it be instant play without a humongous pop up
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: You have got to be kidding me. Fake Engine sounds.

Wait, did I just watch an embedded video? When did that happen?

B
Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM

that's the first and last time i'll be clicking that auto stream thing. don't like it at all.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by #2
that's the first and last time i'll be clicking that auto stream thing. don't like it at all.
Can I ask why if you don't mind? The interface is extremely functional and it allows you to view videos posted to the board, no matter where they were posted. Go to http://tv.camaroz28.com and take a look at that.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisFrez
Can I ask why if you don't mind? The interface is extremely functional and it allows you to view videos posted to the board, no matter where they were posted. Go to http://tv.camaroz28.com and take a look at that.
The whole pop up interface thing is just annoying. Most other boards I go to have a very simple set up where the video shows up in the post, just like an image. All you have to do is press play. Its clean and simple.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM

I'm kind of with #2 on this. If it just played and didn't do the whole pop/modal thing, and instead just played right where it was, it would be fine.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 AM

I don't see a whole lot of difference between this and a link that takes you all the way to YouTube.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 AM

i dont think the video popup is that bad. just reminds me of when people post tiny pics and when you click on them a much larger pic pops up.

Doesnt bother me.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 AM

It's big, cumbersome, and takes you away from the post. Everyone is used to just pressing play, and having the video "play", not pop-up. I am with the "do not like it" crowd.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM
dtp

Originally Posted by one wicked element
It's big, cumbersome, and takes you away from the post. Everyone is used to just pressing play, and having the video "play", not pop-up. I am with the "do not like it" crowd.
I have to agree, I don't like it taking me away from what I'm looking at. It's like the UAC control. Other boards I go to also just play the video in the post. I'm guessing this current method can yield revenue from google?

Ironically Tax Cut pissed me off doing something similar. It had a button for help and I clicked it, then it launched a browser pointing to a youtube video of their help taking me away from the software. I promptly closed the browser...

Last edited by dtp; 01-27-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

All,
Thanks for your feedback on the player. this is EXACTLY why we chose to partner with the community of CamaroZ28 to launch or plug-in.

We want to make it an enhancement over existing forum embed plug-ins, so it must be a solid solution. The reason we went with a pop up is that in 1024x768 resolution there is only 525px width in which to play the video, and expose more videos from this user, other places in the forum this video is shared, a search bar and other features that help you find other videos being posted in the forum (much less who posted the video first and in which order).

We're open to other designs and if you have ideas I want to hear them. We're looking to you guys to help us design this product with your feedback, so please let me know what you like and what you don't like and we'll do our best to make it better with your help!

So, here is the question. The forum is too narrow in the most common resolution to display everything we need to into the forum. So I see no other solution than to pop open a new window with more width.

We could make the pop up window scale to fit your entire browser window allowing for a larger video player, would that work for you? It would mean you get a larger embed payer by default than typical forum plug-ins.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM

see below, that's exactly how i feel about it.

Originally Posted by irocdreamer
The whole pop up interface thing is just annoying. Most other boards I go to have a very simple set up where the video shows up in the post, just like an image. All you have to do is press play. Its clean and simple.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 PM

That's the problem. We don't want "more". We want less (maybe I should say me/I?).

In the bold part, you just described YouTube in the method you want to deliver videos. Why? If I wanted a social network video site, I would go there. Most people on forums are not trying to search for videos, or need a search bar....

On a forum, we (I), want to say "Hey, check out this vid". That's it. That's all we need. If I want to spend time browsing videos, I'll find a site that's designed to do it - not as an after thought plugin for a forum.

I would like to see a post with an embedded vid, hit play (without being removed from that post/site) and be able comment, or scroll on the forum. The current setup is worse than if I clicked a link directly to YouTube and then had to come back here. If you want ads, put them next to the video in the embed window/script.

The pop-up/out idea is horrible. No one has ever said "Hey, you know what "x" site needs? MORE pop-ups!!". Please stop with the pop-up/outs, please....

Last edited by Adam Bruce; 01-27-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Adam accidently deleted post but was able to recover it.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM

I like it better then not having embedding videos at all. But I want a non pup up version.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM

I think something like this is what most people want:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17587671-post128.html

Quick Reply: Site Video Embed System Suggestions Thread