Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Seriously. Time for a board upgrade dudes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 05:20 PM

Wink Seriously. Time for a board upgrade dudes.

CamaroZ28.com Admins,

Guys -- when do we get some upgrades here? All of the other boards I frequent seem to be running a newer, more feature-filled version of the board software (fullsizechevy.com, ls1.com, etc).

Features I'd like:

1) Avatars!
2) Ability to use "IMG" tags!!! This is just a defacto standard now, and it's inconvenient not to be able to use them here. This DOES NOT affect the server bandwidth. Anyone with basic Internet knowledge knows this It's called hyperlinking folks...
3) Private Messaging!!!!!

BTW -- having purchased a hat & shirt, I guess that means I've made a donation to the site, so let's see some upgrades It's been the same for years!

-Michael

------------------
'95 Camaro Z28 A4
-SLP "2OTL" exhaust
-K&N FIPK
'98 K1500 Z71
-Flowmaster 40-series dual exh.
-American Racing Atlas (16x8)
-285/75R16 A/T tires

Recent Vehicles
'68 Nova "project"
'00 Camaro Z28 M6
'88 VW Golf GTI 16v
'98 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

My Website
Old 08-05-2002, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't mind avatars but I do not want the IMG tag to be allowed. I hate boards where people post HUGE pictures and, even on a DSL connection, take forever to download.

I would like to see a private messaging system though.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grendal:
CamaroZ28.com Admins,

Guys -- when do we get some upgrades here? All of the other boards I frequent seem to be running a newer, more feature-filled version of the board software (fullsizechevy.com, ls1.com, etc).
</font>
As soon as we can, but don't compare us to other boards. This is CamaroZ28.Com. It is not LS1.Com or FullSizeChevy.Com.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
1) Avatars!
</font>
Okay. When we get time, we will possibly do something like that. Right now, we have to spend our time answering the same old questions, over and over again. Speaking of which...

2) Ability to use "IMG" tags!!!
</font>
Nope. Read the FAQ. If you already did, you shouldn't be asking this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is just a defacto standard now, and it's inconvenient not to be able to use them here.
</font>
Who set that standard? How is it inconvenient? You can still link to images, and doing so is not any more inconvenient than using an IMG tag. It is, however, inconvenient for others who read the board. See next reply...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This DOES NOT affect the server bandwidth. Anyone with basic Internet knowledge knows this
</font>
Not server bandwidth, but the USERS bandwidth. Forget about that? Nobody with dial up wants to load a ton of images that they have seen in other posts over and over and over again when they just want to read the content of the post. Even people with boardband get sick of seeing the same images in people's sigs time and time again. Oh yeah, see the FAQ.

It's called hyperlinking folks...
</font>
So hyperlink to an image. That way, if people want to see the image, they will choose to click the link instead being forced to load an image that they did not necessarily want to see in the first place.

3) Private Messaging!!!!!
</font>
Possibly in the future. ICQ, AIM, Odigo are all available now and you can PM all day long.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">BTW -- having purchased a hat & shirt, I guess that means I've made a donation to the site, so let's see some upgrades
</font>
Thanks for the support. We didn't know we should owe you something in return other than the shirt and the hat you bought.

It's been the same for years!
</font>
People have been asking us to allow IMG tags for years, too.

------------------
Jason Debler - Webmaster/Editor
CamaroZ28.Com * TurboBuick.Com * ChasingStanley.Com
1996 Camaro SS #259 - Project 396 IS FOR SALE
Old 08-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

It's been the same for years!

-Michael

</font>
Yep it has, and I like it. I dont want to see a picture of soinso's SS or Z28 or RS or 5.0 or supra etc in every thread, if i want to see or know more about them/or their car i will click on the link in their sig and go to their web site.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:59 AM

I'm with Jason and Kmook. So what you can go to another board and see pretty little pictures of your buddies, girlfriends, sisters supra. Dont care....never will. All it is is fluff, if you want fluff and filler please see one of the boards mentioned above, they are more then willing to give you pictures of crap that is unnecessary. This board is about content, not fluff, at least that is what I believe. I hope to see it that way. Your more interested in the crap the the good stuff. Go into a forum and learn a little about your ride, instead of needing a way to show off your latest photo of the moment. Thats what your personnal web page is for. Excuse me while I go get put in ear plugs because the whineing is getting out of hand!!!

------------------
Arrest ME Red 1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible
just a chip and a muffler, well maybe some headers
<A HREF="http://home.attbi.com/~mycamaro/" TARGET=_blank>
First run EVER
R/T - .675 (on a pro tree)
60 FT - 1.943
1/4 - 13.969 @ 98.77
http://home.attbi.com/~mycamaro/</A>
Old 08-06-2002, 11:27 PM

Red face

I understand the reasons for not having the IMG tags. But I still disagree with them. But that's a minor thing really. What I meant by "it's a standard" is that I participate in many online boards, and all of the others allow IMG.

Given the USER bandwidth issue, perhaps you could allow IMG only on *certain* forums. Particularly this would be useful on the Appearance forum. I seems to fall right in line with the nature of the discussion. If you don't wanna wait for the pics to download, that's what your Back button is for.

As for avatars & signature .jpgs, if you know how HTML and browsers work, you also know that you only download them once. Meaning, load times are rarely affected by any significant amount. Once your browser has the files cached, it's a matter of a millisecond to recall and display the tiny images.

All those points aside -- why do you even have this Suggestion Box Jason if all you're gonna do is come in and go "oh, well everybody seems happy with that, blah blah.". Well, obviously not

I restate.... it's been the same for years. If for no other reason than to break up the boredom, make some little changes! Change some colors & graphics here and there... and for goodness sake, upgrade the software.

I don't think it's asking for so much. Don't be so pompous. My suggestions were and are legitimate and you just dismissed them summarily.

Thanks for your consideration,

Michael

------------------
'95 Camaro Z28 A4
-SLP "2OTL" exhaust
-K&N FIPK
'98 K1500 Z71
-Flowmaster 40-series dual exh.
-American Racing Atlas (16x8)
-285/75R16 A/T tires

Recent Vehicles
'68 Nova "project"
'00 Camaro Z28 M6
'88 VW Golf GTI 16v
'98 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

My Website
Old 08-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

As for avatars & signature .jpgs, if you know how HTML and browsers work, you also know that you only download them once. Meaning, load times are rarely affected by any significant amount. Once your browser has the files cached, it's a matter of a millisecond to recall and display the tiny images.</font>
Michael, I know that a lot of people including myself do not cache web pages because i do not like to suck up tons of hard drive space with temporary internet files...
Old 08-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

Exclamation

I understand the reasons for not having the IMG tags. But I still disagree with them. But that's a minor thing really. What I meant by "it's a standard" is that I participate in many online boards, and all of the others allow IMG.</font>
I have already addressed this in my first response.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Given the USER bandwidth issue, perhaps you could allow IMG only on *certain* forums. Particularly this would be useful on the Appearance forum. I seems to fall right in line with the nature of the discussion. If you don't wanna wait for the pics to download, that's what your Back button is for.
</font>
And AGAIN. YOU CAN STILL LINK TO IMAGES. The only difference between inline images and linking to images is the fact that you are not forcing someone to load the image even if they do not want to. That's it.

We don't think it is okay to inconvenience someone else for your convenience.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Once your browser has the files cached, it's a matter of a millisecond to recall and display the tiny images.
</font>
Sure...I'll bet most of he sites you are talking about don't have over 30k registered users. Maybe 20,000 here are active (just a guess). This is not counting the millions of times a page gets loaded by people who are not registered but just read (yes, millions). A dime isn't a while lot of money. Why not give me 30,000 dimes? Also, see kmook's latest post here. Not only that, we have plans to implement avatars when we get the time to do so. I already answered this above.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All those points aside -- why do you even have this Suggestion Box Jason if all you're gonna do is come in and go "oh, well everybody seems happy with that, blah blah.". Well, obviously not
</font>
I must have been drunk, I don't remember posting that statement at all. You asked the questions and I addressed them. Now it seems that you don't like the answers I gave you.

This is the Suggestion Box. Not the "Let's try to argue until we get our way Box".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I restate.... it's been the same for years. If for no other reason than to break up the boredom, make some little changes! Change some colors & graphics here and there... and for goodness sake, upgrade the software.
</font>
You didn't read all of my first response to this did you? Let me restate as well...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When we get time, we will possibly do something like that. Right now, we have to spend our time answering the same old questions, over and over again.</font>
I don't think it's asking for so much.
</font>
No, you are not. You are asking the EXACT same question that has been asked many, many times before.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Don't be so pompous. My suggestions were and are legitimate and you just dismissed them summarily.
</font>
You now call me pompous for addressing your questions. I didn't dismiss them, its just that they are already answered. If you would take the time to read the Site FAQ, you would not have needed to ask in the first place. FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions. That means they have been asked so many times that we had to put up a permanent answer for it because the answer doesn't change.

It is clear that you are not reading my posts entirely so I see no point in continuing with this thread. You asked, I answered. If you didn't want to accept the answers I gave, you probably shouldn't have asked.

Mighty pompous of me, eh?

------------------
Jason Debler - Webmaster/Editor
CamaroZ28.Com * TurboBuick.Com * ChasingStanley.Com
1996 Camaro SS #259 - Project 396 IS FOR SALE

[This message has been edited by JasonD (edited August 07, 2002).]
Old 05-28-2009, 02:57 PM

happy now grendal?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM

wow
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 PM

I wonder what it was like way back then. We have everything now that they wanted back then. It is hard to imagine what it would've been like back then.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
happy now grendal?
seeing as he hasn't been back since 2007 i don't think he was.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM

I was wondering why all the quotes were jacked up

So Jason what's next? Enable IMG in sigs?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by EnFuegoZ28
I wonder what it was like way back then. We have everything now that they wanted back then. It is hard to imagine what it would've been like back then.
things were good back then we didnt have a lot of the things we have now but we still had a good time.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
things were good back then we didnt have a lot of the things we have now but we still had a good time.
looks at join date

Quick Reply: Seriously. Time for a board upgrade dudes.