Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Search results varying significantly depending on user ID??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Question Search results varying significantly depending on user ID??

OK so my wife has a user name that she logs in with on very rare occasion to see what's going on with the board (never has posted). I asked her to do this so that if she read/searched the board it wouldn't show as being my activity and keep me from seeing new posts since I last visited.

Anyhow... I noticed something.

Sometimes I search for my username as a key word just to see when somebody has replied to something I've said or said something else I might be interested in. My wife did this the other day as well just to see the threads I had posted in.

I noticed that she got WAY more results than I do when I perform the exact same search.

If I search for my name using my user ID I get so few results that the last result on the first page is a thread from 10-27-07
If I search using my wife's user ID I get a search that has so many results that the last results on the first page is from 3-21-07... only three days ago!

It's not just searching my user ID though... that's just an example. I notice that with most words her user ID is able to generate far more thorough results.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

That's the strangest one ever. As far as I know, there is no search settings like that per user or per user group (registered members, Premium member, etc.). I am going to assume the exact same search is performed with both accounts with the same settings and options.

Kinda odd...I will look into it.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 AM

I've done some more experimenting and it's definitely more than just searching for my user name. It's almost any word... I get a tiny fraction of the results I should be getting in most cases. With my wife's userID I get tens if not hundreds of times more results.

I just searched for the word "bracket" looking for the lounge thread on the NCAA bball tournament and got so few results that the last result on the first page was from 8 months ago... despite the fact I'm sure the word bracket gets used all the time, at least in an automotive context.

So I guess my search is 'broken' and strangely my wife's works, even when on the same computer, same browser, etc...
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Admin Emeritus

I am quite stumped by this one, I don't see any reason for that to be happening.

PM me her user name.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 PM

I just searched for the word 'bracket' to see my results.

The first result was from two weeks ago (3/14) and it didn't even find the NCAA March Madness bracket thread.

The last result on the first page was from 5/25/2007, or TEN months ago.

So it appears as though mine is different from both Kyle's and his wife's.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 PM

Heh... I just tried searching for the word 'camaro' with my userID and 25 results from the top the date was 4-8-2007.

You'd think it was a knitting forum based on that frequency of the word.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 PM

i tried to search for bracket and did not turn up any recent results including the ncaa thread you speak of, however searching for brackets does bring it up
Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

No clue right now, guys. We are looking into it.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 PM

I've noticed the same thing, for MONTHS if not longer. Search is pretty much broken for me. You KNOW something is messed when you punch in "formula" for a search in the cars for sale section and get like 3 listings per YEAR for Firebird Formulas.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix
I've noticed the same thing, for MONTHS if not longer. Search is pretty much broken for me. You KNOW something is messed when you punch in "formula" for a search in the cars for sale section and get like 3 listings per YEAR for Firebird Formulas.
I got 159 results when searching for "formula" in the cars FS section
Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

This is definitely weird. We will be doing a board upgrade in the near future when the new release comes out, it should fix a few bugs and hopefully this will be one of them. Until then, sorry for the problems! Try using the search box on the main page of the site if you really get stuck.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM

Works fie for me, maybe it's browser or computer settings.

I run a windows Xp based computer, and AOL. It's crud I know, but free.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Works fie for me, maybe it's browser or computer settings.

I run a windows Xp based computer, and AOL. It's crud I know, but free.
nope, it's server side, browser is only displaying what is returned from the server.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 PM

FWIW same deal still applies after the board upgrade.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Threxx
FWIW same deal still applies after the board upgrade.
I get the same thing.

If I use my brothers SN I get more results. When I use mine I get old outdated stuff and can't find things I'm looking for, yet his works fine

Quick Reply: Search results varying significantly depending on user ID??