Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Responses to the latest suggestions...A suggestion box FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Exclamation Responses to the latest suggestions...A suggestion box FAQ

Okay, we all want to make this place the best we can, but when implementing a lot of things we have to consider a lot. Hopefully, this will shed some light on things...

When will the new board get here?
It will get here as soon as possible. We have our hands full with LOTS of other things. For now, this board works just fine.
Instead of working on things, I have to spend my time making long-*** posts here.

We need more smilies!
We do not NEED more smilies, but yes, we will agree a few new ones would be nice. The current board does not allow When the new board comes along, we will try to add a few new ones. A FEW. Not 250 like other sites have. We see no need to clutter the place up. This site is for content, not people having fun making little faces on their computer screen.

LS1.Com has this... Corvetteforum has that... I see that Supraforums let people do this...
They do things for their own reasons, and we do the same. We do not LIKE putting limitaitons on features and such, but we do it for MANY reasons. Usually for security, bandwidth, server resource or abuse issues...or all of the above. Believe me, we DO have our reasons for EVERYTHING that is done here.

Why can't we post pictures?
This has been answered so many times, I could not even begin to count them all. The answer and more is right here:
https://www.camaroz28.com/misc/faqs/

Flood control sucks! Remove it!
First of all, telling us what to do and/or griping and whining about it in your posts will only make us ignore you and make us want to **** in your coffee. Flood control is a necessity. It keeps people from "flooding" the site and crashing it. If you can crank out more than one post in a minute or so, you should probably look into getting a life.

We should have a section for this and that and the other thing...
For example, if we made a For Sale section for JUST 4th gen parts, then people will scream for a a 3rd Gen For Sale section, then a 2nd gen For Sale section, then a 1st gen For Sale ection...after that people will want a for sale section for each and every part of their car.

This also applies to "splitting" forums up into particular sections for particular segments of cars. Transmission section, convertible sections, etc...

People have a hard enough time keeping their posts in the proper forums we have to offer, making more forums will onbly make that aspect worse as well.

Hey, you guys rock. I am behind you all the way. Thanks for making such as cool place to hang out at. What can I do to help?
Okay, we rarely hear this one, but anyway... If you wanna help, be an example in your posts, feel free to e-mail us immediately at webmasters@camaroz28.com when you see a post that might be questionable or does not belong here, click a few banners if youy have the time, buy a shirt or sticker or whatever else we have to offer, visit a vendor site and tell them that we sent you, and if you see a problem don't bitch and whine like a girl, ask what you can do to help out. This is, after all, a COMMUNITY.

There. I covered some of the more frequent items. Feel free to bring this one ot the top when you see fit.

------------------
Jason Debler - Webmaster/Editor
CamaroZ28.Com * TurboBuick.Com * ChasingStanley.Com
1996 Camaro SS #259 - Project 396 in the works
Old 04-04-2002, 04:05 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JasonD:
Flood control sucks! Remove it!
If you can crank out more than one post in a minute or so, you should probably look into getting a life.
</font>
*sigh*

but.. but.. I have a life.. dont I?

*cranks up the Millencolin*

Old 04-08-2002, 09:43 PM

Cool! Thanks for the update!

btw, whats the "new board"? Is it UBB version 6 instead of the current 5.47e or whatever? Any other boards using it yet? Just curious, I'd like to see an example of it.

edit: After looking at TurboBuick.com and ChasingStanley.com... is it going to be vBulletin Version 2.2.2?

------------------
The 'Bird (equipped with an Optispark of doom!)

[This message has been edited by stevil (edited April 08, 2002).]
Old 04-10-2002, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Now, if only people will read that!

We have a good FAQ too, but do you think anybody reads that either?

------------------
Chris Frezza / CamaroZ28.COM UBB Admin
2002 Camaro SS #1931
1995 Supercharged Camaro Z28
2001 Buick Regal GSE
Old 04-11-2002, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up

Can you make "stickies" on this UBB? Make it a sticky in every section. I don't think many people actually come in here.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:59 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Diggs:
Can you make "stickies" on this UBB? Make it a sticky in every section. I don't think many people actually come in here.</font>
This current version of UBB doesnt support "stickies".
Old 04-15-2002, 10:14 PM

Diggs is right, not many people come in here. I have been on this board for 2 years and today was the first time to even open this forum. Good thing in did. Thanks for the info Jason
TTT
Old 04-20-2002, 01:09 AM
94Z

Whats the big deal about smilies? I never use them. This is a message board. Been here I'm guessing 4 years and like only 400 posts. I could care less about my post count. And I support the advertisers. I've gotten great info from this place. I just don't understand how people can complain about something free.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:21 PM
West South Central Moderator

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JasonD:
We should have a section for this and that and the other thing...
For example, if we made a For Sale section for JUST 4th gen parts, then people will scream for a a 3rd Gen For Sale section, then a 2nd gen For Sale section, then a 1st gen For Sale ection...after that people will want a for sale section for each and every part of their car.

This also applies to "splitting" forums up into particular sections for particular segments of cars. Transmission section, convertible sections, etc...

People have a hard enough time keeping their posts in the proper forums we have to offer, making more forums will onbly make that aspect worse as well.
</font>
Jason, I'm sure you have visited the Impala SS forum. Over there we have forums devoted specifically to individual areas of the vehicle. Sure, we have several people posting stuff in the wrong places, but the moderators often move them to the right forum. It may be easier for us since we specialize in teh later model cars only, but everything has ben working very well for nearly 2 years now.

Anyway, here is my suggestion. (Lemme think of the best way to word this...)

LT1 "Tech" is broke.

It is located in the "Powerplant Specific Technical Discussion" category, but how many questions actually pertain to the powerplant?

When somebody looks at the main board, they see that and expect to see threads about the engines. They go in there are see threads about everything ELSE related to that bodystyle car.

However, further down the board there is a forum for "Autocross and Road Racing" with "Suspension and Handling" in the description box. I don't see why people aren't posting their suspension questions there? Or maybe that isn't the right place for those questions? It's kinda confusing.

One forum that I would highly recommend would be a DRIVETRAIN forum. It would be for all Transmission, Gears, etc. questions. This could be used for ALL YEARS because people are putting 4L60Es and T56s in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Gen cars, and on the other hand, people are putting TH350/400s in damn new brand new cars. Same with the rear end questions. What worked back in the 60s still works with today's cars in this area.

I also recommend a forum, no make that a category for BODY specific discussion. This would be for the interior and exterior threads. This would also be for threads about Wheels & Tires. You could split them up by different Generation F-bodies. 4th Gen body, 3rd Gen body, 2nd Gen body, & 1st Gen body (or you could combine the 1st & 2nd like in the Powerplant specific Tech category). In fact, you could combine this category with the "Care and Maintenance" category.

I believe adding these forums would help reduce the clutter in the forums GREATLY.

This may be too much for now, but please consider this post when building the new board.

Thank you.

------------------
Cheston P - IM_A_0@yahoo.com AIM:Impalaitis
96 BBB Impala SS "ADIOSS"
91 white Caprice 'n0n 9c1' w/L03

GM_TBI listserv
GMForums.com
ImpalaSSForum.com

[This message has been edited by AdioSS (edited May 25, 2002).]
Old 07-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

TTT- good thread.