Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

The new CZ28.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Re: The new CZ28.

Originally Posted by one wicked element

...the site used to be... a hangout for friends... That "magic" is gone...

OK, now I see what you mean.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

I know we have a few out spoken members on the forum (myself included). This site has felt like home because it was for enthusiasts FOR enthusiasts. For the most part, it wasn't a business to us. It was a hangout.
I don't see why it couldn't be. Chris and I are still here, as are a lot of people. The site changed hands, but I haven't seen where IB has stepped in to make it any less of a hangout.

We could talk about things without worrying about the bean counters forcing the changes. We could suggest things, as friends to friends. There wasn't a corporate feel running the site. This (forum) site was different, in a GOOD way.
If IB is forcing changes to the nature of this site and how people use it, please let Chris and I know.

I know you (and others) have spoken about ads in the past, and that it more members didn't donate, it would be implemented. I have been a member for over 10 years. I've donated for 4 of them (granted a bit too late) if I remember correctly. However, I think most people took it like their mom yelling at them to "go to bed" when they have a friend sleeping over. You know she doesn't want you to really got to sleep, but just to be quite = not a "real" threat.
We promised ourselves that we would never ask for any "donations". This site is no charity. We would always offer up something in return (such as the Premium Member program or the merchandise sales) and we would never, ever threaten or punish anyone for not finding their wallets. We would never, ever hold a threat over everyone's heads that we would intentionally limit their viewing ability just because they didn't pay us money. That is not the right way to do things.

Personally, I would have implemented the ads BEFORE selling the site.
I think we all know that if we had, this thread would be exactly the same. NEW CZ28 vs. OLD CZ28...just about what Jason and Chris did rather than what IB did. We ran into it before when we added some ads to the non-logged in users (yes, we had to do that as well...but a few years ago). We got a lot of backlash for that then, too. There is no question we would have now...because in reality...we are now.

However, in your post (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/cam...brands-838570/) it clear that you guys need to move away from the site for personal reason - understandably so. I feel donation or not, the site would have been sold solely for that reason.
There are many reasons we came to the decision we did. Making ends meet were one of them.

(WHY NOT ASK OTHER LONG TERM MEMBERS TO HELP OUT BEFORE SELLING?)
We did! Premium Member program, CamaroZ28.Com merchandise. Maybe we weren't as pushy as we should have been with them, but it really wasn't our style.

I just feel people are upset because they feel like lost a friend, and a home all at once. CZ28 will continue on, but it will never be a "home" again.
I really cannot say I agree with that totally. If we had not made if public that the site was acquired, I don't quite believe that people would notice much difference. I haven't seen IB step into any content.

As a side note, I feel ads are "old tech" and sites who use them and then bitch about Adblock users are idiots (in general). Most users run adblock, because we have too.
On this site when it was Chris and I?

Much like forcing ads upon ads on a website. IT'S NOT WORKING.
Sure it works, just like commercials in radio and television, and ads in magazines and newspapers. It is what kept media available for decades. The difference is, internet advertising can be bypassed.

It's like the RIAA or MPAA trying to stop file sharing. It's old tech. YOU need to adapt to the users, because the users will always find a way (even if you put in a adblock block, we can still get around that).
File sharing and using adblock have one thing in common (and I am sure not everyone will agree with me)...it is wrong. File sharing is giving away something that doesn't belong to you nor do you have the right to distribute, and running adblock denies a site owner the opportunity to receive revenue in exchange for the use of the web site. It is no different than sneaking into the movies or stealing cable.

The "old ways" are just that - old.
So...what is the new, better way that works? Determine that and you will start a new revolution.

MOVING ON: Jason and others (admins, mods, and friends); thank you so much for the time you have placed into the site to make it what it was. CZ28 will always be a huge part of life. Thank you. I mean that as much as I can. This site will always be a huge part of who I am, and I will continue to visit, but I've "moved on" to find another home....

As a hitchhiker in the information galaxy, so long and thanks for all the fish.
Thank you for the kind words, and even though I don't quite agree with how you are perceiving things, that doesn't make you wrong in the least. I just see it from a different angle. I understand. Thank you for being a friend here.

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
My overall view is that Jason and Chris created a site that's been directly responsible for hundreds (thousands?) of friendships, I think two marriages (?), a whole lot of people learning stuff, having fun, having someone to talk to, etc, on and on.
A few kids were generated because of this site, too. Although...I don't think anyone named them after Chris and I. Dan Burke does have kids named Jason and Christopher, but that is coincidence.

I wish I had an accomplishment in my life of that magnitude.
I don't think that I have heard anyone every say something about what (Chris and) I have done that carried so much weight and meaning. I myself never thought of it that way, but otherwise...I am speechless.

There is NO reason to abandon this site. Even if people are mad with themselves for not contributing before, that's still no reason.
No one should be mad about it. That would be rather unfair to themselves. My question is...are people later going to regret letting their attitude toward the site change superficially and walk way when it might not have been as bad as they were perceiving it?

Do people really want to see something that's meant a lot to them, fail?
Amazing. Chris and I asked ourselves that same question at a few points over the past several years when times were tough. We also asked that question of ourselves when we were talking with IB. We have no doubts that we made the right decision, based on that question.

If the site doesn't make money, it will be closed - regardless of our memories, friendships, or unions. That's the difference now. That's whats changed, and in turn, we the users are forced to change with it.
I disagree 100%. If Chris and I were still the owners of this site, the exact same would apply, there is no change in that regard. However, right now it would be closer to reality than you would feel comfortable with.

A very smart business person told me more than once, "You can make every business mistake in the book, but when you run out of money, they take you out of the game." This applies to everyone...you, me, Chris Frezza, IB, Facebook, GM, Apple...

I won't abandon the site, but we need to be honest about what the site has become. It's no longer a hangout, it's here to make money through advertising; plain and simple.
Above all, I really don't see how things now are any different had Chris and I not let IB own the site. Just a few more ads for unregistered users and some technical problems that are being worked out. The same could easily apply no matter who owns the site. Again, I am not saying you are wrong, but I don't see what you see. Maybe I am too close to the situation to be able to.

I haven't followed my own advice. I have been asking people to help the site without giving examples as to how...so here's a suggestion list. I don't know how well it will be accepted, but I am just throwing a few thoughts out there.
  • Be a positive contributor. Chris and I built this site, but we certainly didn't entirely build the community that lives on it. Help people out when they ask for it. Make posts that encourage people to continue to call this site "home" and not a place loaded with complaints.
  • Talk about the site, tell people to join and be a part of it. That is how it started to begin with.
  • Offer constructive criticism, not just negative feedback.
  • Buy a CamaroZ28.Com shirt. Yes, I know..."too little, too late" but not really...it still shows people you are a part of the site, no matter who the money goes to.
  • Listen to the CamaroZ28.Com Podcast! Your old pals Chris and I still do the show, every week, without fail. It's us...your buddies...talking about Camaro stuff. BUT...we also talk about non-Camaro stuff, too and offer enough of a variety for everyone. People are finding that we are just as good of talk show hosts as we are community admins. Have a listen, call in, be a part of it. If you haven't already, give it a try. All you need is a web browser (although there are other ways to listen, too). See the Podcast forum. Listen in, then talk about it, get people to listen as well, help it grow with the rest of the site.
I am sure there are other things but I just threw them together. But yeah...tune into the Podcast.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Thank you for the kind words, and even though I don't quite agree with how you are perceiving things, that doesn't make you wrong in the least. I just see it from a different angle. I understand. Thank you for being a friend here.
Jason, thank you for taking the time to reply to mine (and others) "venting" posts. Honestly, it helps to know that it's not going on deaf ears.

However, I think there will always be an difference on "shoulda/coulda/woulda". We the users, don't know the inner workings of the form, so our (or my) perception will always be different than yours. Ultimately, you guys made the decision that you felt was best for you and the forum. For us, all we know is the current state which currently includes random slowness and endless ads. It's quite a different change for us, and as creatures of habit, we're not taking it well.

I think the main point that upsets us is that this forum isn't different anymore. It's just like every other forum out there - just like IB wants it.