Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

The new CZ28.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: The new CZ28.

BTW...did everyone read this?
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/cam...brands-838570/
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD

The speed complaints seemed to have dropped off. Everyone is working very hard to make it respond better and find the problem. I noticed that there were many people offering up complaints and a few offering up help by providing traceroutes and such when there are slowdowns, etc. (which is much appreciated) Now, the complaints have dropped off because we are making progress. How many posts of gratitude have replaced them? None that I know of. A little gratitude would go a long way.
FWIW I'm still getting the speed issues. The reason I haven posted in that thread recently is because nothing has changed (from my end) and no news has been posted to ask me to try anything new. I want to say that I fully understand how frustrating that kind of issue is to troubleshoot, I work in IT. I have been emailing the guys from IB and trying to help them figure out the problem. I haven't bashed anyone over the issue and I'm trying to be as helpful as I can. I really do hope they get that issue fixed, I don't really want to leave here (it's like a second home to me).

I'd also like to say that I really do appreciate all the work that you (Jason) and Chris have (and continue to) put into this site. I can tell you that my life would not be the same without this board. Next to sleeping I've probably spent more of my life reading this forum than doing just about anything else. I've never used adblock on this site and would routinely click on ads to try to help out. It sucks that you guys were forced to sell the site for financial reasons, but I'm glad you're still here. It takes something special to keep this many people on a board when they've got no other real reason to be here besides the camaraderie. I haven't owned a Camaro in almost 10 years but I keep coming here because it's like a family. All of the other boards I go to I leave when I'm not as active in that hobby, there's nothing else drawing me back there. This site has always been different.

So thanks again Jason/Chris. I am going to continue to try to be helpful troubleshooting issues. I'm not happy about the increase in ads, but at least it's gotten somewhat better (no more pop-ups at least). But I understand something has to pay the bills, so as long as they're not intrusive while I'm logged in I can't complain.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM

And although I made it clear I don't blame any one person, I do have to ask again in general...those who are complaining...have you done anything to contribute to an improvement? Or have you done anything to contribute to a decline?

I am simply asking for people to be fair and honest about it, to recognize improvements as well as faults, and to offer the benefit of the doubt. That's all, really.
I will admit, some of the complaining is getting old. And some people could be more constructive. While I've definitely contributed a bit to the complaining, as well as thrown in a few joke threads about it for sh*ts and grins, I've tried to help point out some of the technical issues with the slowdowns as well.

Aside from that though, there isn't really much the regular user can do to contribute to an improvement, other than sit back, post as normal, and hope the administration fixes things and makes the right changes.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 PM

I'm no saint, but I do try to post non-inflammatory topics that I hope are interesting in the Lounge. I'm still a big fan of "Would You Hit This" (yes really), but if a few of us come up with a handful of additional interesting threads I think that would help.

I don't know anything about IB, but I do know something about marketing. I'm beginning to wonder if they do.

Consider...

Lounge discussions of Walmart vs. Target vs. K-Mart vs. Sears. Why are some doing well and others not? When you think about Walmart, you think of lowest prices (even though that's not true). Target, maybe an upscale Walmart. Sears, who knows, tools, what else?? And what do you think of when you think about K-Mart?

Idea is, with various stores (or in this case, web sites) competing for our business, how does a potential customer (site visitor) decide where to go? You have different stores or web sites offering similar products/services.

The answer it to "brand" the store or site... cz28 would be known for ((something??)), ls1tech for ((something else??)) etc. You, as a site visitor would have an idea of what each site is known for and that's what would drive you to visit one vs. the other. I don't mean something as basic as an LT1-focused site vs. an LS series-focused site. That's obvious. But when you go to something like the lounge, you're looking for something more subtle, it's probably about the type of people there, their interests/goals/etc, their personalities, even their political/social views (regardless of whether or not these topics are even allowed for discussion).

The ads that are run are supposed to be consistent with the audience that IB is trying to attract... with each site targetting a different market segment of car owners.

Problem I see is that Internet Brands - despite their name - isn't doing that. They're just piling a bunch of random ads in there, with no apparent target audience in mind. The result, there's no particular reason to post in the lounge here, vs. posting it in another message board. There's no brand differentiation being created by IB.

They may also be running flash or pop-up ads that the people here certainly don't like, but maybe car owners of different cars or of slightly different interests would enjoy. Those types of ads might actually help draw people to another car site with a different target audience, but for the people on this site, it's not working. IB doesn't seem to have an idea who their target market is for each site, and/or they have no idea how to tailor their approach to fit a specific target audience.

Marketing is not so easy to get right (look at how a big company like Sears is screwing it up), and so far I don't think the new owners are getting it right here, either. "Marketing" involves a LOT of logical thinking about human nature, communication methods, and getting in touch with peoples' needs. But too often today, "marketing" is just about what font you pick, or what color, or what pictures look nice. They have no clue about underlying strategies for actually meeting concrete objectives, and it shows. There's a lot of clueless and incompetent people who think they know how to do marketing correctly and effectively... and they're dead wrong.

As for me, I plan on sticking around here. I don't even have ad block and I can deal with it. But if I find people I know moving elsewhere I'll start an account there, too.

Last edited by T/A-Bob; 02-15-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

Thanks for the help and suggestions all. Sorry we have to be having this discussion. Hope we can all work through it and things smooth out.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

When we contribute, where does that money go now? Internet Brands? Do they even need the money?

And I would just like to say that Ford sucks.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by BTC
When we contribute, where does that money go now? Internet Brands? Do they even need the money?
As running a site like this is a business, yes...they do. All businesses do. Don't you?

And I would just like to say that Ford sucks.
Humorously, yes, but they are doing very well with the Mustang despite the stellar success of the new Camaro.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Humorously, yes, but they are doing very well with the Mustang despite the stellar success of the new Camaro.
Its like history is backwards... Previously the Mustang was just flat out less of a car, but it outsold the Camaro and was vastly more popular. Now the Mustang is superior in nearly every fashion yet is second in sales. Hate on Ford all you want, doesnt make #'s change.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I was just trying to make the site better.

I started using this site a few years ago when I got my car out of extended storage. It was in pretty sad shape. I always felt that this site, in comparison to LS1Tech, had more knowledgeable posters. There seemed to be more idiots & teenagers on LS1Tech. Not that there is anything wrong with idiots & teenagers. I was an idiot and a teenager at one time. Now, I'm just an idiot. But, a lot of people post on both sites, and LS1Tech seems to get more traffic. Even though traffic is slow, I still think I like this site better.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

I rarely post here anymore, however just recently bought another 4th gen lol

I am sad to see that happen, but unfortunately looks like IB approach is the only viable ad-based business now, it's no longer for companies without significant venture support.

IB is hitting $100mm revenue with more then $20mm operating income. Thats a low overhead I would say. Kudos for them until they will follow camaroz28.com scenario themselves. When they will be sold, I bet nothing nothing would be left for anyone except Hellman & Friedman.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by valter
... IB is hitting $100mm revenue with more then $20mm operating income. Thats a low overhead I would say. Kudos for them until they will follow camaroz28.com scenario themselves. When they will be sold, I bet nothing nothing would be left for anyone except Hellman & Friedman.

For such a "big" company they sure are making a lot of amateur mistakes...

"Register or else we'll bombard you with ads" ... what the hell is that? You don't sell something by threatening the prospect. How could they not know that??**

How about "Register and you'll get a free iTunes download"? - in other words, register and get something good? Sure, it cost them $1 per each new member, but if they got 5000 new members, that's only a cost of $5000. Or offer a choice of several different inexpensive treats (like some sort of free app) and see which gets the best response? Then, you start getting an idea of who the new members are.

And don't forget to offer existing members the same freebie (or even better ones).

There's plenty more ridiculous mistakes and lost opportunities but why should I just give away my 25+ years of advertising / marketing experience for free? (and I'm retired so I'm not interested in a "side job")

** and if I were an advertiser, I wouldn't exactly appreciate my ad being used as a punishment for a site visitor who's not yet registered or a member.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
For such a "big" company they sure are making a lot of amateur mistakes...

"Register or else we'll bombard you with ads" ... what the hell is that? You don't sell something by threatening the prospect. How could they not know that??**

How about "Register and you'll get a free iTunes download"? - in other words, register and get something good? Sure, it cost them $1 per each new member, but if they got 5000 new members, that's only a cost of $5000. Or offer a choice of several different inexpensive treats (like some sort of free app) and see which gets the best response? Then, you start getting an idea of who the new members are.

And don't forget to offer existing members the same freebie (or even better ones).

There's plenty more ridiculous mistakes and lost opportunities but why should I just give away my 25+ years of advertising / marketing experience for free? (and I'm retired so I'm not interested in a "side job")

** and if I were an advertiser, I wouldn't exactly appreciate my ad being used as a punishment for a site visitor who's not yet registered or a member.
I absolutely agree with what you saying. The ads and product placements abuse became a plague of internet and destroying or damaging many communities. I can hardly watch a movie right now without being completely pissed of on the amount of product placements they want me to digest.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the help and suggestions all. Sorry we have to be having this discussion. Hope we can all work through it and things smooth out.
I know we have a few out spoken members on the forum (myself included). This site has felt like home because it was for enthusiasts FOR enthusiasts. For the most part, it wasn't a business to us. It was a hangout.

We could talk about things without worrying about the bean counters forcing the changes. We could suggest things, as friends to friends. There wasn't a corporate feel running the site. This (forum) site was different, in a GOOD way.

I know you (and others) have spoken about ads in the past, and that it more members didn't donate, it would be implemented. I have been a member for over 10 years. I've donated for 4 of them (granted a bit too late) if I remember correctly. However, I think most people took it like their mom yelling at them to "go to bed" when they have a friend sleeping over. You know she doesn't want you to really got to sleep, but just to be quite = not a "real" threat.

Personally, I would have implemented the ads BEFORE selling the site. Like a time out for the users to get their attention to get donations. I feel it would have worked, as they know they are donating to you, and not a million dollar business, where as now the donations will be closer to zero (my perception).

I think people are mad at themselves for not helping prior to the sell out. Hindsight is 20/20, and had I known the site would be where it is today, I would have donated more.

However, in your post (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/cam...brands-838570/) it clear that you guys need to move away from the site for personal reason - understandably so. I feel donation or not, the site would have been sold solely for that reason. (WHY NOT ASK OTHER LONG TERM MEMBERS TO HELP OUT BEFORE SELLING?)

I just feel people are upset because they feel like lost a friend, and a home all at once. CZ28 will continue on, but it will never be a "home" again.

As a side note, I feel ads are "old tech" and sites who use them and then bitch about Adblock users are idiots (in general). Most users run adblock, because we have too. Just like when popups were a big deal, users installed toolbars to stop them; or how web browsers now block popups from opening. No one is bitching about popups anymore - because it's old tech that did not work. Much like forcing ads upon ads on a website. IT'S NOT WORKING. It's like the RIAA or MPAA trying to stop file sharing. It's old tech. YOU need to adapt to the users, because the users will always find a way (even if you put in a adblock block, we can still get around that). The "old ways" are just that - old.

MOVING ON: Jason and others (admins, mods, and friends); thank you so much for the time you have placed into the site to make it what it was. CZ28 will always be a huge part of life. Thank you. I mean that as much as I can. This site will always be a huge part of who I am, and I will continue to visit, but I've "moved on" to find another home....

As a hitchhiker in the information galaxy, so long and thanks for all the fish.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by one wicked element

...I know you (and others) have spoken about ads in the past, and that it more members didn't donate, it would be implemented...

..Personally, I would have implemented the ads BEFORE selling the site. Like a time out for the users to get their attention to get donations....

...However, in your post (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/cam...brands-838570/) it clear that you guys need to move away from the site for personal reason - understandably so. I feel donation or not, the site would have been sold solely for that reason. (WHY NOT ASK OTHER LONG TERM MEMBERS TO HELP OUT BEFORE SELLING?)...

Just my opinion on the above... this isn't how you worded it, but... holding Jason and Chris responsible for not beating harder on members to contribute, just doesn't sit well with me. We all had our shot.

I also feel they more than earned to right to sell it for whatever reason they wanted to.

My overall view is that Jason and Chris created a site that's been directly responsible for hundreds (thousands?) of friendships, I think two marriages (?), a whole lot of people learning stuff, having fun, having someone to talk to, etc, on and on. I wish I had an accomplishment in my life of that magnitude.

There is NO reason to abandon this site. Even if people are mad with themselves for not contributing before, that's still no reason. Do people really want to see something that's meant a lot to them, fail?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
Just my opinion on the above... this isn't how you worded it, but... holding Jason and Chris responsible for not beating harder on members to contribute, just doesn't sit well with me. We all had our shot.

I also feel they more than earned to right to sell it for whatever reason they wanted to.

My overall view is that Jason and Chris created a site that's been directly responsible for hundreds (thousands?) of friendships, I think two marriages (?), a whole lot of people learning stuff, having fun, having someone to talk to, etc, on and on. I wish I had an accomplishment in my life of that magnitude.

There is NO reason to abandon this site. Even if people are mad with themselves for not contributing before, that's still no reason. Do people really want to see something that's meant a lot to them, fail?
Sorry if it came off wrong in regards to Chris and Jason about ads. I do agree that we all had our shot to keep the hope alive. I just think that if the members had a chance to see "how bad it could be", they would have donated. However, I really don't think it matters though, that the ads are just the icing on the cake.

The site was Jason and Chris' and these do with as they wanted; be it sell it or close it. Personally, I think Jason and Chris have a life they need to tend to, and CZ28 was taking them away from it. Ads or no ads, they decided to sell the site. ...And that's what happened. Period.

Bob, you gave great examples of how the site used to be - when it was for enthusiasts by enthusiasts. When it was a hangout for friends. That "magic" is gone. It's now part of a million dollar business. If the site doesn't make money, it will be closed - regardless of our memories, friendships, or unions. That's the difference now. That's whats changed, and in turn, we the users are forced to change with it.

Hell, I used to have dreams of being a mod here (i.e., giving back). I loved this site.

I won't abandon the site, but we need to be honest about what the site has become. It's no longer a hangout, it's here to make money through advertising; plain and simple.