Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

Autolocking old threads

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott9050
I can't tell an old thread until I open the damn thing and look at the date. If you can, more power to you. There is absolutely no reason to bring up a 5-6 year old thread in a lounge setting. I understand they did it with you and your situation, but even then a new thread would have sufficed. Other forums have taken even more drastic measures such as removing the search feature from their Lounges (Corral is a good example) to stop abuse.
What's it take, maybe four or five seconds to open a thread and look at the OP date? You're not losing out on a large amount of time or anything. And the threads that do get dredged up don't typically stick around at the top for any length of time. They might get one or two replies the majority of the time and then they fall back into the depths. And then, if it does receive a decent amount of replies, then that's because a discussion has arisen, and isn't discussion what these boards are for in the first place? I really don't see why it's a big deal.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by scott9050
I can't tell an old thread until I open the damn thing and look at the date. If you can, more power to you. There is absolutely no reason to bring up a 5-6 year old thread in a lounge setting. I understand they did it with you and your situation, but even then a new thread would have sufficed. Other forums have taken even more drastic measures such as removing the search feature from their Lounges (Corral is a good example) to stop abuse.
sure there is. here are some good ones that are old but were worth bringing back
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333295
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331400
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284380 (an email was sent to mat to post in the thread)

for some topcs a new thred will do but reviving an old one is better IMO. no need to make another thread when we allready have one with info in it. many times the date on teh thread really does nto make a difference
Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 PM

temporarily ban those who are doing it for laughs. there are some great technical posts on this forum that some people may need clarification on and would have to "bump" the old thread up to have it answered. sure beats the hell out of 20 of the same thread coming up and being answered over and over, though that seems to be inevitable.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
sure there is. here are some good ones that are old but were worth bringing back
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333295
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331400
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284380 (an email was sent to mat to post in the thread)

for some topics a new thred will do but reviving an old one is better IMO. no need to make another thread when we allready have one with info in it. many times the date on teh thread really does nto make a difference
ok you are getting way out of hand with this, if it needs to be done once and a while that is ok, but you are abusing the system and you are going to ruin the way that our community of technical information operates. you are pissing everyone off and they are all going to jump on this autolocking bandwagon. relax please for all of us including yourself

maybe temporary bans are in order to stop this problem, but i still stand by my statement that autolocking technical threads will severely hamper the communities ability to function - for technical sections at least
Old 04-22-2010, 01:19 PM

nothing wrong with those. its often times interesting to see outcomes to things posted a logn time ago and get updates on things.

its the lounge, its ment for random topics, there is nothign wrong with revisiting old topics to get updates and spur new discussion on the same topic.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
nothing wrong with those. its often times interesting to see outcomes to things posted a logn time ago and get updates on things.

its the lounge, its ment for random topics, there is nothign wrong with revisiting old topics to get updates and spur new discussion on the same topic.
I agree, I see nothing wrong with it. I think those that get pissed about it might need some more real problems in their lives
Old 04-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28
I agree, I see nothing wrong with it. I think those that get pissed about it might need some more real problems in their lives

Who has gotten pissed? It was a suggestion that the owner of the site liked. But hey, thanks for helping drive home the point that it is needed with your recent shennanigans
Old 04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Admin Emeritus

The bottom line that has been proven clearly in this thread is that people shouldn't bump old threads for no relevant reason. Doing it just to be an *** or thinking it is "funny" or just to prove a point is very uncool and simply shouldn't be done.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 PM

this is what i posted in another thread in the lounge. it was sort of in response to one of dangalla's posts.

does this happen in other sections? i read through the one thread and only saw people bitching about the lounge. considering the lounge is an off-topic area and meant for bs'ing around, i don't see why people are complaining.

i think it's stupid to do something that effects the tech sections just because of stuff that happens in here. as long as it stays in the lounge, i don't see why it's even an issue. clicking on a thread only takes a few seconds. if it's an old one, just click back.