General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC Compressor Cure?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:57 AM

AC Compressor Cure?

A few months ago, I noticed a nice oily green spot under the Camaro. I did some looking and saw that the front seal in my AC compressor is leaking oil (and the leak detector, hence the green).
This is the third compressor on the car. The first two were brand new, this one was a reman. All three compressors failed in the same spot. I have checked the belt alignment, as well as the compressor mounting to make sure that it is lined up square like it should be. They have all been replaced and charged at knowledgeable shops as well.
Does anyone know if there is a fix for this outside of buying compressors every year?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:01 PM

Re: AC Compressor Cure?

I personally don't have experience with your AC Compressor problem, so I Googled it.

From the responses I read, you are definitely not the only one with this issue. There were other GM owners including Corvettes that the same thing happened to. Some of them were on there 4th AC Compressor, new and rebuilts. Nobody had a for sure answer, just a lot of speculation. Maybe someone here has a better response. You can also try the Google search and see what you come up with.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 AM

It seems the LT1 air conditioner compressor does not like it when you blast the engine,like getting on the freeway with the air on floored.When I had my Pontiac formula years ago I did this and I lost my compressor.Luckily I had insurance that paid for the replacement.($1500.)Never gunned it again with the air on.Driving around normally is fine,But the moment you gun it,with the air on,even though it's suppose shut off,it wrecks havoc on the air conditioning system.Hope this helps.My02.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gaedbo
I personally don't have experience with your AC Compressor problem, so I Googled it.

From the responses I read, you are definitely not the only one with this issue. There were other GM owners including Corvettes that the same thing happened to. Some of them were on there 4th AC Compressor, new and rebuilts. Nobody had a for sure answer, just a lot of speculation. Maybe someone here has a better response. You can also try the Google search and see what you come up with.
I've been searching over the years and haven't ever found anything. But, this was always my go-to site for information on F-Bodies, so I was hoping that someone had found a fix or a compressor that worked well.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
It seems the LT1 air conditioner compressor does not like it when you blast the engine,like getting on the freeway with the air on floored.When I had my Pontiac formula years ago I did this and I lost my compressor.Luckily I had insurance that paid for the replacement.($1500.)Never gunned it again with the air on.Driving around normally is fine,But the moment you gun it,with the air on,even though it's suppose shut off,it wrecks havoc on the air conditioning system.Hope this helps.My02.
It is true, they don't like it. The clutch is supposed to shut off at 3000rpm, but who knows if it's doing that. Maybe it's just the fact that the compressor itself can't handle the high rpm that people drive these at.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Administrator

I remember an older post by bobdec, where he indicated the PCM turns the clutch off at 4,100 RPM. I've never checked A/C clutch status in data logs, because it never seemed important. And generally, no one runs the A/C when they are making full throttle pulls to collect data. But Scan9495 does indicate A/C clutch status.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I remember an older post by bobdec, where he indicated the PCM turns the clutch off at 4,100 RPM. I've never checked A/C clutch status in data logs, because it never seemed important. And generally, no one runs the A/C when they are making full throttle pulls to collect data. But Scan9495 does indicate A/C clutch status.
That's definitely more accurate than getting my info from "theory".

I'm just going to buy a new compressor, they have come down in price quite a bit. I noticed too that there are three different clutch styles now too.

Search this Thread