LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Snapped Drive shaft whaa whaaa whaaaa

Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 PM

Snapped Drive shaft whaa whaaa whaaaa

So, had the old 1997 T/A out and about today, been running pretty good since the injectors were replaced. Anyhoo, wife used it to pick kids up from church, and snapped the driveshaft in half coming home. She made it in the neighnorhood and it snapped just after. She said she wasn't getting on it but....yeah. so anyway, towed it home two blocks, drive shaft clanking and banging on the exhaust. So if it's home. As far as I know, it's the factory driveshaft on the 1997 TA LT1. LT1 has a little build on it, and the rear end was replaced about 1500 miles ago. Not sure why it would snap, had a couple questions hoping for good advice. Was this just bad luck/age on a stock shaft, or ? It towed home OK except for the noise, so I don't think the rear end seized up? Not sure about the 6 speed tranny, but it's always been fine....I read maybe worn u-joints? Which I could believe as I've never replaced them, not the owner the whole time, but car has 151k on it. On replacement shaft, just get another factory one, or look into a beefed up one? Suggestions? Don't have ridiculous money to throw at it, so best, cost efficient, quality way. Thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Snapped Drive shaft whaa whaaa whaaaa

Did the DS actually break the tube, or did you lose a u-joint?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Definitely snapped shaft, in half.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM

DS breaking on a basically stock car while wife was driving kids from church......well if you say it broke.

Cheapest way out is getting a used one from junk yard. You can buy a aftermarket one if you want from places like Dennys or Inland Empire

Not really something you hear about breaking on the street and generally it is U joints if there is a break

Unless I missed something, your car is basically a stock M6??
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Stock? No way man, I have a K&N filter! Just kidding lol. It has a cam/crank/ported heads, bored to a 383 I believe, exhaust, custom tune some other stuff etc, but I'm sure its still under 500 HP, probably around 400 HP, so I'm totally baffled too. I found another drive shaft, and replaced last night, and the car drives fine it seems. The driveshaft that snapped was an aluminum one, I thought these came factory with a steel one so maybe already been changed out at some point for an "upgrade". Anyhoo, the car towed home fine, other than the broken shaft banging the exhaust, so I assume the rear end is ok and not locked up. Which made me worry about the tranny, but once the new shaft was in, it drove forward and back no problem and up the street. The guy I got the replacement used shaft from was surprised it had snapped as well, and he mentioned maybe it had gotten scored somehow and created a weak spot, but I can't see where a groove was cut on the broken one. Maybe one of the times the exhaust was removed and rewelded? Attached are pics, for now it SEEMS ok and fixed, but still a little nervous on how this snapped in the first place. Definitely not U-joints LOL
P.S. I love the toilet paper tube inside the driveshaft, I'm sure it has a function, being somewhat unknowledgeable about driveshafts I was surprised to find them hollow, which I guess is common, but with cardboard inside ?!?!?!?
Attached Thumbnails Snapped Drive shaft whaa whaaa whaaaa-shaft1.jpg   Snapped Drive shaft whaa whaaa whaaaa-shaft2.jpg   Snapped Drive shaft whaa whaaa whaaaa-shaft3.jpg  

Last edited by 97TAMONEYPIT; 01-23-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM

well shiat happens. Some aftermarket aluminum DS have a cardboard sleeve insert to help eliminate harmonics

Maybe there was a flaw in the metal where it broke or something

usually the 7.5" rear end grenades before the DS though
Old 01-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the help. The rear end did go out a few thousand miles ago, maybe the shaft got damaged then and just finally separated.....if anything else happens I'll keep you posted, thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:31 PM

I see the three rivers sticker on it from what I have read that should be the stock drive shaft.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Administrator

The 4th Gen 1LE option had an aluminum DS from day one. All the other LT1's had the steel DS, as far as I know. There was a Technical Service Bulletin that replaced the steel DS with an aluminum DS under warranty, if the owner had a valid claim of a vibration problem. The LS1 cars got the aluminum DS, at least the ones with 3.23 and 3.42 gears.

Buddy of mine with a low boost LT1 fractured an LS1 aluminum DS, probably no more than 500 HP. Another snapped a Lingenfelter 3.5" aluminum shaft at about 700 HP. my preference is at least a 3" chrome moly.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 AM

Yes, my 2001 Z came with the fuel-economy 2.73 gears, and a steel driveshaft. I swapped it out for the aluminum one that came on the 3.23 equipped cars. Odd to have a driveshaft let go like that, in the middle, unless you were doing clutch drops or something. Usually the 7.5 inch rear goes first.

If you go the salvage route, make sure to specify aluminum. At least, I would. And, while I had it out, probably good idea to put new universals in it.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 AM

I have an extra aluminum driveshaft...PM me if interested.

Search this Thread