Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Any try E3 spark plugs?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Any try E3 spark plugs?

Has anyone tried these with a boosted application?

I've been running the TR55s, gaped @ 35, excel 300+ ign (using the built in rev limiter @ 6200) and 900 extreme wires, A/F is at 12.2 WOT, Fuel pressure saying steady @ 50 PSI (Racetronix system) 10 PSI of boost. Opti has about 2,500 miles on it. Put about 400-500 miles a year on the car

Plugs and wires are not that old, less then 2 years

This setup has worked fine for years, but recently I started having issues with it either hangs ( almost like setting the cruz ) or completely cutting out around 5500 RPMs. Once I close the throttle and the RPMs drop it fires right back up? There are no codes pointing to there being an issue.

So my first thought was either the plugs are fowled or blowing the spark out? so I want to start with a plugs, just wondering if there is something better because of all the work to change them?

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 01-21-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Re: Any try E3 spark plugs?

Using stock heat range seems like the plugs may be too hot and burning the electrodes. Have you checked the gap and appearance? I would expect to see something like a TR6 or an Autolite 103 or 104 with the boost.

Don't even think about a "gimmick" plug like an E3. No advantage. Don't know if you remember, but there was a guy who showed up at some events, and he tested plugs for a living. He pretty much considered anything with a gimmick as a waste of money.

PS - how's my trailer? Has it collapsed in a pile of rust? I was thinking of calling you. In the spring I want to get my dust covered Formula out of the garage, clean it up and sell it. If it needs a trip to Second Street flow any maintenance, I'll need a trailer. May be able to get a truck from the place I retired from last year. Then the trailer can get sold too. Thanks for storing it all these years.

I was also thinking about pulling together a bunch of the club guys from the past... another reason to call or email you. I have your phone number from maybe 10 years ago. Is it still the same?
Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Using stock heat range seems like the plugs may be too hot and burning the electrodes. Have you checked the gap and appearance? I would expect to see something like a TR6 or an Autolite 103 or 104 with the boost.

Don't even think about a "gimmick" plug like an E3. No advantage. Don't know if you remember, but there was a guy who showed up at some events, and he tested plugs for a living. He pretty much considered anything with a gimmick as a waste of money.

PS - how's my trailer? Has it collapsed in a pile of rust? I was thinking of calling you. In the spring I want to get my dust covered Formula out of the garage, clean it up and sell it. If it needs a trip to Second Street flow any maintenance, I'll need a trailer. May be able to get a truck from the place I retired from last year. Then the trailer can get sold too. Thanks for storing it all these years.

I was also thinking about pulling together a bunch of the club guys from the past... another reason to call or email you. I have your phone number from maybe 10 years ago. Is it still the same?
What? Sell your car? Then,every time you go the garage,there will be a void,an empty space.How many times have members sold their cars,only to buy another one later(me).Buy a fishing pole,go fishing,take some time to reflect on stuff.I'm upset.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanks Fred,

yah been way to long!

let me know when you want to get together and I'll bring the trailer down. have to try to find a valid plate! LOL! it's still here, tires still hold air I drag it around the block few times a year to clean up leave ad suck under it and keep the brakes working.

I'm PM you my cell #. I work from home now but travel to NJ 1-2 a month to check on my staff.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks! I'll get in touch. Last time I saw anyone from the old days was when I had dinner with George and Cliff about 4 years ago. Just sent a message to Unstable Bob but no response yet.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Hey Fred was unstable Bob the guy that had the converted SB 2.2 heads/intake for the LT1?

Also anyone have a line on anyone who has one of the GMPP LT1 race blocks with the 4.125 bore that they want to sell, TIA?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Administrator

No.... Unstable Bob bought parts of an engine with the Dominion/Arao 32-valve heads. He had someone screwing around with them for years. Somewhere I have a bunch of photos I took when he first bought them. Eventually he sold them.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/adv...s-sale-333734/

The high HP build with the SB2.2 was N20Dave.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/adv...-heads-329215/

Search this Thread