General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

10 bolt gearing & High Stall Converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:11 AM

10 bolt gearing & High Stall Converter

Hey everyone! I'm coming down to the last couple of decisions I need to make for my current build im finishing.

First: I've got a A4 - So I need to decide between staying with 3.23 or going to 3.75 - Curious what my top MPH would be with 3.75 if the difference in lower acceleration is worth the high end MPH. I don't plan on getting into 120+ often but I've done it a couple of times so curious when my car would stop accelerating

Second: I'm looking at getting a 3200-3500 stall converter - I've read alot of mixed reviews about drive-ability. I'm not building a "DRAG CAR" nor do I plan on getting any larger rear tires ( at the moment) So would it be worth it for me? Again, alot of hearsay/reviews about not getting the potential out of your car without going with a HIGH stall but how much performance am I going to be missing out on by staying with my stock STALL ATM..

I'm already looking at ordering a secondary transmission cooler as I live in arizona I am definitely needing to cool down those tranny temps.

Here is a IMG/Graph i stole from LS1Tech:
Name:  jI5sYHZ.png
Views: 1
Size:  93.1 KB

and here is a possible STALL im looking at ordering as these guys are really close to me..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162050752097?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks fellas.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Re: 10 bolt gearing & High Stall Converter

Go with the 3.73 you will not be disappointed. My car came stock with 2.73 and it woke it up and dropped about half a second in the 1/4. You will need to re-calibrate the speedo. I still have the stock converter but gains are to be had with a stall. Not sure on what stall speed would be good for streetability.