2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 PM

Tail of the Dragon photos

A couple weeks ago my wife and I were down in the Smokey Mountains.

Going into the park you lose cell phone reception. I did however use the Cz28.com cell phone app to listen to the Podcast, and I was able to do that.

Thanks Chris and Jason!

I also had to try out US 129 and the tail of the Dragon. This stretch of road was known by someone I work with as she used to live in North Carolina. It had been years, but she knew what it was and said "Oh is that what they call that damn road"

She mentioned she used to get sick on it.

My wife also felt a bit queezy.

Anyhow the area just before the warning "switch back curves ahead, last chance to turn around" is very beautiful. Also the stretch of road was fun. There are several photographers taking your picture.

I did the 30mph speed limit and that was plenty fast enough! My 2010 2LT M6 with stock suspension handled it great!

My wife had to catch her breath here at the scenic overlook on the way back! So I got a couple pictures here.
Here's me with "Cliffy"

A better shot of the car with my digital camera.

The scenic overlook on the Dragon.

My wife was feeling better now. We took this on the way north out back into Tennessee.

Last edited by skuttduck; 08-24-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Re: Tail of the Dragon photos

Today I purchased some of the photos that the guys from us129photos.com took.

Kim and I in the car.

Decent shot of me in the Camaro. When I realized photos were being taken I turned on the halos!

great front shot of the car.

My favorite shot of me and my wife. She still has a great look on her face even though she said she got a bit sick.

Great shot of the rear of the car. I think this shows the highwing spoiler the best!

There are still a couple more photos I am going to purchase from one of the other photographers.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 PM

nice pics thanks for sharing
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM

Cool story, but what the hell did you tack onto the trunk lid of that Camaro? A lot of motorcycle wreck on that road. That is probably what it's most famous for.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Cool story, but what the hell did you tack onto the trunk lid of that Camaro? A lot of motorcycle wreck on that road. That is probably what it's most famous for.
This is what I did to the trunk lid of the Camaro. https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819797

I take it you aren't a fan of the highwing spoiler. Which is fine, since just about every Camaro I see has the lip spoiler.

I would have gotten this on the car had it been available when I ordered the car, but that was on constraint. I also have my original trunk lid should I want to switch back to the lip spoiler that the majority of camaros have.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Great story and some very cool pics there Tim!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by skuttduck
Today I purchased some of the photos that the guys from us129photos.com took.

Kim and I in the car.

Decent shot of me in the Camaro. When I realized photos were being taken I turned on the halos!

great front shot of the car.

My favorite shot of me and my wife. She still has a great look on her face even though she said she got a bit sick.

Great shot of the rear of the car. I think this shows the highwing spoiler the best!

There are still a couple more photos I am going to purchase from one of the other photographers.
Beautiful shots! Smart move on the Halos. Is that a black stripe on your sail panel where the bow tie is or just a shadow? Either way the black behind your car makes the rear look not so big.

Smokey mountains in the Appalachians are beautiful. Ive only seen them once though. For anyone who doesnt know, I believe the mountains get the name from the smokey look from the clouds or I guess fog that give them a "smokey" look which is stunning. To me they resemble the appalacians where my grandmother lives in West Virginia with a lot less bugs and leaps and bounds better maintained.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisFrez
Great story and some very cool pics there Tim!
Thanks Chris. I had been meaning to post up, but just got around to purchasing the photos yesterday. I meant to call the voice mail, but when I got into the park, or on the Dragon there was no cell phone reception.

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Beautiful shots! Smart move on the Halos. Is that a black stripe on your sail panel where the bow tie is or just a shadow? Either way the black behind your car makes the rear look not so big.
I had vinyl applied on the trunk area. I liked the look initially as I had a magnetic blackout I got on ebay for $30. I wanted it more permanent when I changed to the highwing spoiler, so I had stripeman do the rally stripes, the highwing blackout, and the trunk blackout.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM

This is what I did to the trunk lid of the Camaro. https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819797

I take it you aren't a fan of the highwing spoiler. Which is fine, since just about every Camaro I see has the lip spoiler.

I would have gotten this on the car had it been available when I ordered the car, but that was on constraint. I also have my original trunk lid should I want to switch back to the lip spoiler that the majority of camaros have.

[IsMG]https://s-hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/215075_1909412458188_1328152487_31693412_6862289_n .jpg[/IMG]
Yeah, not a fan of the highwing spoiler, but I do agree that the lip spoiler is way too common. I like the 3 piece dove-tail type spoiler that I have seen on only a few cars. It really taps into the classic Camaro muscle look. Nice car though!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Yeah, not a fan of the highwing spoiler, but I do agree that the lip spoiler is way too common. I like the 3 piece dove-tail type spoiler that I have seen on only a few cars. It really taps into the classic Camaro muscle look. Nice car though!
I think the highwing looks great at just about every angle. When viewed from the rear it can seem a little too high.

I've seen the Dove tails in person and I kind of like them, I just prefer those on 2nd Gen Trans Ams. Reminded me of the Gold one my Aunt used to have.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM

I think the highwing looks great at just about every angle. When viewed from the rear it can seem a little too high.

I've seen the Dove tails in person and I kind of like them, I just prefer those on 2nd Gen Trans Ams. Reminded me of the Gold one my Aunt used to have.

[IsMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250749_1775985642601_1328152487_31572283_5295451_n .jpg[/IMG]
The dove-tail in your picture is too tacky. I think this one looks so much better and is not overdone.

Name:  iWutT.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  142.8 KB
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM

The SLP spoiler is ok. The one I posted I believe is the OEM GM dove tail spoiler.
Here are the last two pictures I bought.

I love the look on Kim's face!

Great shot of the rear of the car as we are leaving the Dragon.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Thats pretty cool. I would like to drive that once. I didn't know people took pics that you could buy, but I did always wonder how people had such great action shots
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Oh ya, look up killboy.com as well. They were one of the first if not thee first to take pictures and post them to view and buy.

We used to spend a week or so at a time down there on our bikes. I would love to get a group of camaros to go and hang out.

We would stay at Fontana Village ooff of 28 (Hellbender Highway) and ride the Cherahola Skyway....... Beautiful sweeping roads....
Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN
Oh ya, look up killboy.com as well. They were one of the first if not thee first to take pictures and post them to view and buy.

We used to spend a week or so at a time down there on our bikes. I would love to get a group of camaros to go and hang out.

We would stay at Fontana Village ooff of 28 (Hellbender Highway) and ride the Cherahola Skyway....... Beautiful sweeping roads....
The Cherahola Skyway is OK, was expecting more when I drove it a couple of years ago. Compared to the Blue Ridge Parkway, they are night and day!

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon photos