Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

G8 sales down 5% from GP, G6 sales down 82%

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM

G8 sales down 5% from GP, G6 sales down 82%

Take a look at GM's January 2009 versus January 2008 sales.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=3&docid=51817

Fleet sales were down 80%. In spite of that, and in spite of the approximate 30% decline in overall retail sales, GM managed to sell almost as many G8s this January as they sold Grand Prixs last January -- 1331 versus 1399. The G6 really felt the fleet decline, as sales fell to 2468 from 13942. Imagine if the Grand Prix were still around -- probably only a few hundred would have sold. Finally, only 1338 Auras were sold -- just 7 more than the G8.

I think the sales charts do a really good job of showing why Saturn, Saab, and Pontiac are on the ropes, as well as showing why GMC is not on the ropes. GMC sold over 19000 trucks -- over five times as many vehicles as Saturn sold.

It's interesting to see what happens when fleet sales drop off a cliff. It shows you the real strength of each division, and it really reinforces GM's divisional plans. I'll bet that the Vibe and G8 are the only Pontiacs that have a decent retail sales volume and explains why, contrary to what some have posted, the G8 is a success.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM

I think the problem is Pontiac does not have a strong enough lineup to draw people into dealerships anymore. Couple that with the fact that in most cases it shares showroom space with Buick..and that is a showrrom traffic disaster waiting to happen.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
I think the problem is Pontiac does not have a strong enough lineup to draw people into dealerships anymore. Couple that with the fact that in most cases it shares showroom space with Buick..and that is a showrrom traffic disaster waiting to happen.
It's pretty clear that the only Pontiacs that sell at the retail level are the G8, Solstice and Vibe. I think it's no coincidence that those are the only three that are safe. I would expect the January sales numbers to be the death knell for the G6. Imagine what sales would have been without any fleet purchases -- less than the G8, I'll bet. Now drop off the UAW states, and I'll bet it's in three digits nationwide.

A sad end to a once proud brand. A replay of Oldsmobile, though even Olds was not this far gone when GM pulled the plug.

Last edited by teal98; 02-05-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: off has two 'f's
Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
It's pretty clear that the only Pontiacs that sell at the retail level are the G8, Solstice and Vibe. I think it's no coincidence that those are the only three that are safe. I would expect the January sales numbers to be the death knell for the G6. Imagine what sales would have been without any fleet purchases -- less than the G8, I'll bet. Now drop off the UAW states, and I'll bet it's in three digits nationwide.

A sad end to a once proud brand. A replay of Oldsmobile, though even Olds was not this far gone when GM pulled the plug.
I agree with a lot of this. The numbers do validate the notion of G8/Solstice/Vibe being safe. When you step back and look at it though - the G8 and Sol at least, are brilliant successes by Pontiac. They fit the new 'niche' GM has declared for Pontiac, perfectly. And they are the reasons why I disagree with the idea of Pontiac being 'more far gone' than Olds was.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 AM
West South Central Moderator

I still think it is a mistake for all models of the G8 to look so similar. The V6 should not have gotten hoodscoops or any spoiler. The only external differences between V6 and GT are the badging, wheels, and exhaust tips. And it takes a sharp eye to notice the changes in the GXP front fascia.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
The V6 should not have gotten hoodscoops or any spoiler.
Do you think that would have helped V6 sales?

Originally Posted by teal98
I think the sales charts do a really good job of showing why Saturn, Saab, and Pontiac are on the ropes, as well as showing why GMC is not on the ropes. GMC sold over 19000 trucks -- over five times as many vehicles as Saturn sold.
That is the reason I keep debating that GMC should be kept. Yeah it is 99% overlap product with Chevy, but they sell too many vehicles to get rid of them. On top of that those vehicles cost very little to develop since they are shared with Chevy. If Saturn sold in the numbers GMC does then I'd say keep Saturn.

Last edited by Z28x; 02-05-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 AM

I think this says more about the fall off in GP sales than anything about the G8 being a failure. If we're talking retail than the G8 is well, as successful as the GP was in its last year. If the difference is only a mere 5% and G8s (here at any rate) are as rare as hen's teeth then it goes to show that really, virtually no one was buying the last model GP except fleets.

I guess I fall into the category of buyer wanting a G8, but couldn't wait for it to arrive and needed a "large (although still mid-size)" car, so I ended up with a GP. My choices boiled down to GP, Allure and Impala - at least the GP has some sportiness in its design. I really wish I would have been able to wait, but a year was too long.

Given the sales reality, I really don't understand why GM was so slow in importing the car here - now, it was available in the US before Canada but Holden exports to the mid-east and other markets started shortly after ramp-up of the VE when it debuted in Australia.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 AM

It's ridiculous that Aura is selling that slowly, but GM has basically killed their own brands sales by saying it could be cut or sold.

Aura is a great car in that class.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
I still think it is a mistake for all models of the G8 to look so similar. The V6 should not have gotten hoodscoops or any spoiler. The only external differences between V6 and GT are the badging, wheels, and exhaust tips. And it takes a sharp eye to notice the changes in the GXP front fascia.
I kind of agree. I also think its weird that the G8 gets the wimpy 250hp V6 and is only $2,000 less than the G8 GT with the 360hp V8. And the difference in gas mileage is not that great either. Part of this is because I think the V6 G8 only gets a five speed automatic?

I think the G8 V6 needs the DI V6 and a 6-speed automatic bad. This would greatly boost sales in my opinion and is probably in the works. Does anyone know?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 AM

The V6 also needs a manual option.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM

The G8 also sell for more $$ than the average GP did in 2008/07

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
It's ridiculous that Aura is selling that slowly, but GM has basically killed their own brands sales by saying it could be cut or sold.

Aura is a great car in that class.
I agree, they have a great line up, they just can't market the car. Now that they have announced the brand is dead (but funded to 2012 ) I wouldn't go near Saturn. I'd buy a used one, but never new because of the way resale is going to get killed. I'm glad mine is a lease. Used 2007's with 25,000mi are already selling at my residual price and I have another year and 15,000mi. to go
Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 AM

One thing I've noticed, month after month with the G8 sales numbers is, they haven't collapsed. Don't get me wrong, they haven't met expectations either.

But they've been maintaining a steady ~ 1100 -1300 monthly units sales rate, when some other lines have simply collapsed in sales.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm not surprised with the drop in sales of the G6.
I sat in one at the car show. The interior has seen better days.
It's too bad, because it's not a bad looking car and now that it has the 4 cyl. with the A6, it has a very attractive powertrain. But that interior kills it.
If they were to put a new gut in it, the sales would probably come back.

The G8 needs manual transmission availability across the board.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

I think Pontiac may be feeling some of the 'brand uncertainty' loss of sales that Saturn and HUMMER are experiencing as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by robvas
I wonder if it has to do with the potential buyers:

People who are getting a G6 are usually younger people that make less money, and are more likely to be laid off right now. Or people who are trading in a newer, cheap car like a Cobalt or something, and can't get financed right now.

G8 buyers are probably older and wealthier, and more likely to not need to finance the entire amount of the car.
I would think that you are correct and closer to the answer.

With sales on vehicles in some turmoil, to put it lightly, it's rather difficult to make any definitive determinations on trends.

Quick Reply: G8 sales down 5% from GP, G6 sales down 82%