2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alittle worried about the 5th Gen and its introduction into a hurting economy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Alittle worried about the 5th Gen and its introduction into a hurting economy...

What the topic says. Not trying to sound pecimistic or bashing the Camaro in anyway but alittle realistic, gas is insane and is only getting worse. Not to mention that the market is really hurting and they're looking for every way they can to put an end to gas guzzlers... I understand the 5th gen has Displacement on Demand but will that seriously be enough to bond it firmly into the market without the project dieing (again)?... Just would like some input... ...Personally I'd LOVE to see the car out there but wouldn't it be quite the opposite move than the flow of the economy?

It just seems that today... performance cars in the economy as it stands seem out of place... ...As if their days are numbered... ...and I do indeed hate to see this but the former bang for the buck performance car might become quite expensive to own and maintain... ...
Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 AM

The thought has crossed my mind...
Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 AM

There will be some serious issues facing the Camaro in 2009. It will have to survive on it's own merit based on the whole package it offers buyers.
There is no doubt that this Camaro will need to embrace ideas that past generations never needed to. This one needs to be more green. It also lives in a time of CAFE requirements that are much more difficult to work through than times past. Not to mention the economy and a falling $1 value for a car built outside the US.

However, there is still a place in the market for a iconic coupe with classic styling and a broad fanbase of support. The car is sure to be a media darling and will generate lots of positive press for Chevy and GM. This Camaro doesn't have to be seen as a gas guzzling, roaring V8 leaving behind chunks of smoking rubber and spent hydrocarbons in its wake. (Although that's what most of us here want! )
The car can have all the looks and style and offer and still get great mileage at an affordable price and work quite well in todays market.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM

There's already a thread kinda talking about this - except that's mostly centered around v8s. But okay, I'll play.

I think there's always a market for a car like the Camaro if the car is done right. There's a v6 (which is the big money car) and there's the v8. If the v8 is the LS3 and getting Corvette mileage numbers that means 28mpg highway - and that's not a bad number in this day and age. If you look ahead 5 years (a good time to decide the fate of a 6th gen), it's conceivable that the v8 will be up to 34mpg (based on coming technologies like HCCI hitting their projected targets). Given that that's still several years from the CAFE deadline and not too far from the target mileage, I don't see the v8 being in danger at this stage. I'm also not taking into account the blue-sky stuff that GM R&D is no doubt working on at this stage.

The picture for the v6 is even rosier. Although we don't know what the mileage will be, it will be higher than the v8. So if the v8 is close to CAFE, the v6 can hit the mark - and since that's the high volume car, it'll be in good shape.

As for the car being a rear wheel drive coupe, is that really less practical than a (shoebox) Prius? Any previous Camaro owner will tell you it isn't. In the age of Youtube, a couple of videos of Camaros driving better than other "mainstream" cars in the snow will dispell that myth and that only covers the midwest and east - many big markets won't care.

So no, I don't see a slowing economy getting in Camaro's way any more than any other car. People don't have a lot disposable income right now, but when their lease is up their lease is up - and most will want something new regardless. Projections are that new car sales will grow next year from a low this year - and that too will work for Camaro. Lastly, when my stepdaughter who has always driven trucks and always wants the biggest truck she can find balks at $70 gas, what is the only car you think she's considering? Right - a Camaro! Why? "Because that car is SO cool".
Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM

I suppose so, I myself am definately interested in getting an 09 (Which is why my LS1 is still stock because I never saw the point of modding something I likely may trade) and it would definately be great to have a V8 capable of attaining better fuel milage than mine. Not to say that mine is horrible because on several accounts I have cracked better fuel milage than my mother's 3.2L CTS without even trying... I just thought that it may be a bit awkward for the Maro to enter the economy at a time like this but then again after driving a 5.7... ..it would be extremely difficult for me to go back to a 4 Cylendar... MAYBE I could do a V6 but a 4 Cyl would be hard....
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 AM

While the economy wont exactly help the Camaro, it was brought up in past threads that the best years for the Camaro (sales-wise) was in the late '70's when the economy sucked, interest rates were sky-high, and there was a gas-crisis (not only high gas prices, but very low gas supplies).

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 03-08-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 AM

This is exactly the thoughts that have been whirling in my mind, especially the last 6 months. Even though I consider myself a camaro enthusiast, I still check out certain other cars, their styling, hp, and especially their mpg rating, mainly just to keep myself updated on what's going on in the auto world so that I'll have an idea of what to do when I get ready to buy again.

But the camaro is very special to me. Last night I had this killer dream that I got to test drive a pre-production camaro and I was having a hard time letting someone else have their turn. It was a great dream! So it appears that my inner self knows which car that I really want. But at the same time, I hope it gets decent gas mileage.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:56 PM

The Economy is going to affect all vehicles not just the Camaro, but I think the Camaro will be around for awhile, but I can’t say the same thing for the V8 version. I believe the V8 Version will be E85 compatible and have the shutoff cylinders thingy. If it has those two things I will definitely get the Camaro, but if it doesn’t..... *Sigh
Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not worried. The economy will recover eventually.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 PM

What is the price of Gas for you guys in the U.S?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Gas prices have never impacted Camaro sales... ever. A recession hurts more generic vehicles (SUVs, appliance cars). Sports cars (Camaro, Corvette, Mustang) and luxury cars always seem to do well during recessions.

I'm actually more worried about you pessimists and these trivial and meaningless posts.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by M85Iroc-Z
What is the price of Gas for you guys in the U.S?
Last week it was $2.89 for regular (87 octane) here. Premium(91-93 octane) is always ~$0.20 more.

A couple days ago it went up a lot -- I think regular is $3.29 right now. If the last few weeks are any indication, it'll be back down to 2.something before my tank is empty.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:22 PM

2.89$ for regular? thats 76 cents a Liter here. we pay 1.12$ i think now for regular. and premium is a 1.20$/Liter.

more expensive for us up here. But I enjoy driving my camaro.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by M85Iroc-Z
2.89$ for regular? thats 76 cents a Liter here. we pay 1.12$ i think now for regular. and premium is a 1.20$/Liter.

more expensive for us up here. But I enjoy driving my camaro.
$3.55 here for premium
Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Here in NY...3.49 regular, 3.79 super...diesel is actually over $4+ at most pumps. EEK.

Quick Reply: Alittle worried about the 5th Gen and its introduction into a hurting economy...