Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

What became of the IRS for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:48 AM

What became of the IRS for our cars?

Awhile back someone was building an IRS for our cars, what actually became of this........someones gotta know.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:51 AM

I've always wondered about IRS for an f-body also. Also wondered if it was possible to custom fit a C4 rear in our cars?
Old 12-11-2002, 06:46 AM

Someone on here was building one, I don't remember if it was based of the C4 or not, but it was mentioned. There were pics of it and everything, the guy said he was building it as a potential kit to swap in, but that at the present time he had not built it in a fashion in which it could be put in without screwing it up.
This was over a year ago. I would really like to know what happened with it, someone here has to know........even info that the idea was scraped would be better than nothing.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:07 AM

Mark Montalvo, the man of mystery, haven't even seen him anywhere for a good long while, much less heard of the project

Last I recall was simply that they were trying to figure out how it would work without requiring a plasma cutter.

Search for VPREATR and shoot him an email.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:42 AM

thanks mudge!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:09 AM

That's the one I remember being worked on that I found in the corvette forum.

http://www.rareautodesign.com/
Old 12-13-2002, 12:32 PM

ZBLKHELLRZR, I contacted these people long ago and they never got back to me, Mark did the same thing, never heard a peep from them even though years ago they said it was a DONE DEAL on the site.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:13 PM

I really doubt a transplanted IRS would work any better than the live axle. If you want IRS, set up to a C4 or C5. I have seen some '97-'98's with reasonable miles in the mid $20K range lately.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:55 AM

For the price of a C4/C5 I agree for about the last year now.

Not as wierd as sticking a 500 HP engine in a Yugo, but it seems like, for the price why bother when the Vette is a better platform.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:15 PM

Probably heresy to say this, but it might be easier to get the Mustang IRS to fit. It was designed to work with the stock Mustang solid axle mounting points, so might be less rework to make it fit.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:59 PM

Actually that is probably the most probably solution. Good thinking!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:51 AM

you might be right about the mustang rear, but I've heard many times that it's not much if any better than the live axle cars.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:53 PM

I've heard the same thing, not much better, probably stronger though, but since its not for drag, no biggy.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:26 AM

I've looked into installing an IRS for a long time, recently got some answers, so let me debunk some misconceptions. I recently e-mailed a thirdgen.org member whose brother put in a C4 IRS for his 3rd gen GTA. He sent me lots of photos that show the mounting points, and its amazing how well it fits. Also, the mounts correspond to strong portions of the chassis, requiring little to no re-inforcement (although I'll put in a roll-bar with cross brace behind the rear shock mounts to re-inforce the I-beam attachment). The dog bones attach near the lower control arm mount. The stock shock attachment is re-used. The I-beam support attaches where the panhard bar used to attach to. The results: his bro owns in addition a C4, handling is equivalent, no squeeks or rattles or noticeable flex. Cost was 5K including parts, biggest difficulty is correctly positioning the IRS. Once spring arrives, I'll be going to the same shop to do this install on my 4th gen. My '91 GTA will remain solid rear axle (although I've been upgrading the suspension for the Silver State Classic).

And as for stepping up to a C4/C5, for me that would be stepping down. I don't mean to offend any 'Vette owners, but 'Vettes appearance is boring in my eyes. And I'm getting tired of the assumption that if we own a 4th gen, we just couldn't afford a C5. Let me debunk that as well. I'm 29, have a master's in EE, make enough money (and have enough saved) to buy a Viper for cash, let alone a C5. My second car was a 3rd gen (first was a diesel Rabbit), and I've been in love with these cars ever since. So when I bought my '01 WS6 T/A, I planned on finding a way to put in an IRS. Now, I can barely wait to do this mod.

Later, Dave '01 T/A, '91 GTA, '91 T/A (for sale, don't have time for 3 cars)

Last edited by dnovotny; 12-16-2002 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by dnovotny
I've looked into installing an IRS for a long time, recently got some answers, so let me debunk some misconceptions. I recently e-mailed a thirdgen.org member whose brother put in a C4 IRS for his 3rd gen GTA. He sent me lots of photos that show the mounting points, and its amazing how well it fits. Also, the mounts correspond to strong portions of the chassis, requiring little to no re-inforcement (although I'll put in a roll-bar with cross brace behind the rear shock mounts to re-inforce the I-beam attachment). The dog bones attach near the lower control arm mount. The stock shock attachment is re-used. The I-beam support attaches where the panhard bar used to attach to. The results: his bro owns in addition a C4, handling is equivalent, no squeeks or rattles or noticeable flex. Cost was 5K including parts, biggest difficulty is correctly positioning the IRS. Once spring arrives, I'll be going to the same shop to do this install on my 4th gen. My '91 GTA will remain solid rear axle (although I've been upgrading the suspension for the Silver State Classic).

And as for stepping up to a C4/C5, for me that would be stepping down. I don't mean to offend any 'Vette owners, but 'Vettes appearance is boring in my eyes. And I'm getting tired of the assumption that if we own a 4th gen, we just couldn't afford a C5. Let me debunk that as well. I'm 29, have a master's in EE, make enough money (and have enough saved) to buy a Viper for cash, let alone a C5. My second car was a 3rd gen (first was a diesel Rabbit), and I've been in love with these cars ever since. So when I bought my '01 WS6 T/A, I planned on finding a way to put in an IRS. Now, I can barely wait to do this mod.

Later, Dave '01 T/A, '91 GTA, '91 T/A (for sale, don't have time for 3 cars)
I agree with this guy. How many Camaros/Birds do you see with IRS? This thread answered that.

Also, if switching from live to IRS isn't much better, why do vettes have IRS? This a newbie question I guess, just curious.

Quick Reply: What became of the IRS for our cars?