Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

New speakers......

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

New speakers......

Here's the scenario: I need new speakers in my 99 Z. I don't plan on replacing the stock Monsoon CD player. Do you have to buy Monsoon speakers or will any brand be compatible?? Someone told me unless I was replacing the head unit I would have to get OEM Monsoon speakers from the factory. I know that I may as well just get a new system but thats not in the cards right now and I plan on putting the speakers in myself (little low on "spendable" cash). Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2007, 03:21 PM

correct. monsoon speakers have a different resistance than most .. if you just replace the speakers with any ordinary speakers, you'll fry the speakers and/or the headunit.

You CAN buy an interface that connects from the back of your headunit to the speakers .. i believe you'd need that AND all new speakers.

Or you can do a very popular thing and buy these. They work with the factory stuff.. Infinity 62.7i's
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29204

just replace the door speakers with them.
I did this, and I have to say they have great quality to them. The only bad thing is that you'll need bass afterwards. I need a sub
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM

Not to hijack April's thread but . . . what if you change the head unit but not the speakers? Because I did and now my radio sounds like ****.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM

From what I understand, it should work, but I don't know how the quality would be. I imagine it should be BETTER than factory.. but maybe the speaker/stock amp/your headunit combo might not be the best together. I don't have any experience with replacing just the h/u.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 PM

If you replace just the head unit, the monsoon amp still powers the speakers. The quality might be slightly better, but if you have older monsoon speakers with likely weathered cones, you're at a loss.

Easiest thing to do is run new wires for new speakers. Screw the ones in the hatch unless you want to put a set of tweeters back there.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM

A lot of misleading info in this thread

Yes, you can replace both front and rear Monsoon speakers with any other speakers you like. Monsoons impedance are 2 ohm, aftermarket will be likely 4 ohm. You won't harm anything, it will be even easier for your Monsoon amp to push them Downside - you will be getting 1/2 of power to speakers; they would not be as loud as Monsoon speakers before. I personally run that setup for years before. Alternatively, you can always find 2 ohm aftermarket speakers...

If you decide to add new HU to Monsoon system - you will not fry anything too It will work great, with only downside of too-sensitive volume ****. Bose is different.

And last, if you plan to get rid of Monsoon later (a damn good idea!!!), you don't need to rewire anything, you already have all necessary wires , just get wiring diagram.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by valter; 11-15-2007 at 10:40 AM.