Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

New wheels...long and kinda neat story...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

New wheels...long and kinda neat story...

Well, where do I start?

If you have been reading my web site at http://www.phantomss.com (where I will also post this note, among other places), you will see that since I bought my car in 2002, I have wanted to do something with the wheels. The stock chrome 10 spoke SS wheels are great, but I always like to change things up a bit. So...

First I got a set of Simmons wheels. Great looking wheels, kinda unique. Unfortunately, I lowered my car and they rubbed when I put them on. I could have easily made them work if I bashed my inner wheel wells in, but since the car was brand new, I didn't care to do that. So, I sold them and lost my *** in the process.

Then I thought the Z06 wheel would become the next ZR-1 wheel when it comes to replacement wheels on an f-body (which it sorta did). So, I bought a set of genuine GM Z06 wheels from a really cool guy. This was a good idea, but not many people knew at the time that real Z06 wheels don't fit on an f-body without the use of spacers or a BFH. I still didn't want to do that, so once again, I sold them.

*SIGH*

So, began my quest for new wheels for my car. After all that, if I was going to an aftermarket wheel I was going to do it right and not spin my wheels, no pun intended.

I struggled for a year or so with brands, styles and sizes and I never could settle on one or the other. There's lots of good wheel companies out there. I was so close to going with one or another, but could never commit. You know how sometimes you have to do things you own way? That is how it was with me and wheels for my car. I got so sick of going back and forth that I didn't know what to do...

Recently, I was talking with a friend in the automotive aftermarket business who I do web site work for about the situation, and he then got in touch with his friend who had a business making prototype and concept car wheels (many of what you see at the big auto shows) for the Big 3, as well as miscellaneous side projects like what I was looking to do. We all met up one day and sat down and explored the possibilities.

Between the two of them, a new company was formed and to get started, I was told I had a clean slate and could design my own prototype wheel for my car with the idea that it (and others to follow) would be available as an aftermarket production wheel. What an opportunity! How many people do you know get to design their OWN wheel? I know a lot of you would do it differently, but I didn't want to get completely crazy the first time around. I wanted something clean and simple to start off with that would look good on many cars. I also thought of some of the things that I liked on all of the wheels that I had considered in the past. So I submitted some sketches and descriptions to the engineer, who then worked it up in 3D...

After a decent amount of effort, the MARacing Wheels M5R was born.
http://www.marwheels.com/img/marm5r.jpg

Please remember this is only a prototype image of a prototype wheel. You might say that it looks a bit like things that are already out there but if you know your wheels you will see that there is an original combination in it, you just have to look at the details. Then again, after this long I kind of developed an eye for that sort of thing.

They are fully forged, computer designed, CNC machined. For this prototype set for my car, they will be 2-piece with gloss black centers, polished hoops with a flat lip, machined center cap. I had them built 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the rear...not too aggressive but just enough. I watched the final center section get machined today, and they may be ready to be mounted by the end of this week or early next week. I just ordered up some BFGoodrich KDs from Chris at Discount Tire Direct.

I am sure that some of you are wondering about production details...they have yet to be worked out and are a bit up in the air as this sort of thing just got started with this. In the future, there is expected to be an interesting variety of more styles and options down the road if all goes well. This is just a first step that I was fortunate enough to have a hand in, there is much more to go.

I also want to thank the folks out there that helped me with this!

More details to come...I'll keep this updated as things progress or just keep an eye on my web site.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Re: New wheels...long and kinda neat story...

I still envy you for getting these made. Should look slick, cant wait to see it in person!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:00 AM

Nice, clean 5-spoke design. I like it.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 AM

looks great, i was in the same boat... much more rewarding isn't it. can't wait to see them!

Old 06-08-2005, 03:53 AM

Those wheels look sick, at first glance similair to the fiske fm5 wheels but you said there are little details that set it apart from other wheels. That's cool that you got to design your own wheel.

I think I heard somewhere that you can design your own wheel with Boyd Coddinton but I'm not sure. Anywho, they'll look great.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Those look pretty damn nice. I typically like *slightly* thinner spoke in most cases but might change my thinking after I see a final pic of them. What else I like about them is it looks like they'd be easy to keep clean
Old 06-08-2005, 05:17 AM

Wow, that's awesome! Very FM5ish, but just different enough. I like 'em!

Did I read that right... you started a wheel business? How did y'all choose the name MARacing wheels? What about M5R?

Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by RedlightRunner
Those wheels look sick
Thanks!

at first glance similair to the fiske fm5 wheels
I will agree, they did turn out a bit similar which was mostly unintentional. It is most similar in the spoke taper. However, it is hard to do a wheel that doesn't look something like something else out there, I can tell you first-hand.

but you said there are little details that set it apart from other wheels.
For example, the spoke is a touch wider, it has a heavy chamfer on the spoke window, there is a sort of flat spot between the spokes near the hub (the spokes don't meet at the hub -- this what makes it look a bit more aggressive and serious and is one of my favorite parts of the wheel), and of course...the kick-*** flat lip. I wanted it to be a classic and simple look that was still a touch unique.

That's cool that you got to design your own wheel.
Yeah, it it kinda neat and very exciting to see something progress like this.

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
Those look pretty damn nice. I typically like *slightly* thinner spoke in most cases but might change my thinking after I see a final pic of them.
They look just as good in person. I will post pics as soon as I can.

What else I like about them is it looks like they'd be easy to keep clean
I never thought about that!

Originally Posted by DWray
Did I read that right... you started a wheel business?
Not exactly. I was fortunate enough to have a hand in the start of it, and I will get to be a part of what happens next.

How did y'all choose the name MARacing wheels? What about M5R?
The MA part is dreived from a portion of the company name we are working with. We wanted something short, so MARacing Wheels was what it became, or MAR for short. It is meant to be prounounced as letters and not a word. "Em - Ay- Arr". M5R was derived similarly. "M" for the company name, "5" for 5 spokes and "R" for Race...or Reverse, depending on how bad of a driver you are.

Thanks, guys. More to come.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD

Then I thought the Z06 wheel would become the next ZR-1 wheel when it comes to replacement wheels on an f-body (which it sorta did). So, I bought a set of genuine GM Z06 wheels from a really cool guy. This was a good idea, but not many people knew at the time that real Z06 wheels don't fit on an f-body without the use of spacers or a BFH.
where can i get the spacers or bfh for my car to make my z06 rear rims fit my 95 z28?
thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by DiabloGT
where can i get the spacers or bfh for my car to make my z06 rear rims fit my 95 z28?
I don't recommend spacers myself, I personally don't feel they are safe although some will disagree. Since I didn't want to use them, I didn't look too hard for them. If you feel you must get them, make sure they are billet and not some cheap metal that can crumble. I honestly would suggest the BFH...

You can get a BFH just about anywhere. You may already have one. BFH = Big Frigging Hammer. I think Injuneer had pics of where to hammer. Do a search for my user name and the term Z06 in the Appearance OR this Wheel forum.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
it has a heavy chamfer on the spoke window,
That I noticed right off and liked...
there is a sort of flat spot between the spokes near the hub (the spokes don't meet at the hub -- this what makes it look a bit more aggressive and serious and is one of my favorite parts of the wheel),
That is what I didn't really notice, and couldn't figure out exactly, but that is what made me love it so much. (I noticed the flat part while looking at the opening of course, but just couldn't really put it all together at a glance). That is what gives it the RACE wheel look. I think all MARacing Wheels should have a racing look.
and of course...the kick-*** flat lip.
Who doesn't want a fat lip?

BTW - what program was used to draw these up in?

Last edited by 94BlackBowtie; 06-10-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 94BlackBowtie
That I noticed right off and liked...
That is what I didn't really notice, and couldn't figure out exactly, but that is what made me love it so much. (I noticed the flat part while looking at the opening of course, but just couldn't really put it all together at a glance). That is what gives it the RACE wheel look.
Cool...the points that I tried to incorporate are being noticed. Awesome.

I think all MARacing Wheels should have a racing look.
Once we get things finalized and ready to roll, we will start coming out with more designs. I am sure that some will be more street inspired than race...gotta appeal to a wide range.

I suppose if anyone has any suggestions, they can be e-mailed to me. I dunno what can be done with them, but I don't think we would mind at least reading them.

BTW - what program was used to draw these up in?
I don't remember, I didn't draw it up the engineer did. I just supplied the specs, descriptions and sketches and he generated the rendering based upon that.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
Those look pretty damn nice. I typically like *slightly* thinner spoke in most cases but might change my thinking after I see a final pic of them. What else I like about them is it looks like they'd be easy to keep clean
I agree, I like the thinner spoke wheels myself. These will probably be my next set .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43958

I have polished Z06 wheels now, and they are a PITA to keep clean. Thats why Im getting rid of them.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:01 PM

Hey JasonD and slayer6x6, if you're getting rid of those wheels drop me a line! If the price is right i could be in the market for some new ones in July.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
Hey JasonD and slayer6x6, if you're getting rid of those wheels drop me a line! If the price is right i could be in the market for some new ones in July.
You mean me getting rid of my stock wheels and tires?

Quick Reply: New wheels...long and kinda neat story...