Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Residues from Sealants

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 05:09 PM

Smile Residues from Sealants

Just read over at autopia about residues from using a couple of sealants. Anyone have comments? I've just ordered Klasse AIO and some EXP. Hopefully, it will look good
Old 09-17-2004, 10:38 PM

Re: Residues from Sealants

What do you mean? What about residues?

Anyways, I've found that applying Klasse AIO as thin as possible and buffing it off just as it hazes is the best way to go. Leaving it on too long may be a little bit harder to buff, but still very easy.

Poorboy's EX-P is a very thick liquid. I like applying it best with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a finishing pad, but by hand, use a foam Meguiar's applicator. Try to apply it as thin as possible. It will wipe off like there's nothing even on the paint...you'll feel like you're just moving a towel around. If you apply it too thick, it will be a little harder to get it all off, and may dust very slightly but nothing even worth mentioning.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:59 PM

oh, well on the threads they mentioned poorboys and some residue showing up after a rain. they said it was no big deal, that it just buffs right off. But they said they wiped it off very carefully, but a week later or something when it rained they can see the white residue.

Applying sooooo thin of a layer will get some getting used to...cause it will make me feel like i'm rubbing the paint with nothing on the applicator pad. So, poorboys EXP won't haze up like wax as it dries? I know the AIO, I can just apply it and wipe it off right away, but I thought the sealant was kinda like wax, but slower.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:11 AM

Just make sure you buff it off thoroughly and you won't have that problem. EX-P hazes, but doesnt haze like a wax. It's a very thin slight haze on the paint and wipes off like it's not even there, not the thick, rock-like haze that a wax makes.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:26 AM

yeah, I'll make sure to go over the entire panel one more time at the end.

The strange thing is, a couple of weeks ago, my GF's IS300 got hit on the rr bumper and left taillamp. Well, she got a new OEM bumper and OEM light and they washed and shined up the car and tires. Then last night it rained out of the blue and now I see white residue on the bumper! just like what they talked about on the threads on Autopia. Next time I stop by that shop, I'm gonna ask them what sealant they used, just to compare.

I mean, a week after a wash and wax, i'm not about to wipe the residue off because there is already a light layer of dirt on it. And I don't want to use detailing spray all over. So the only choice is to rewash after any rain, IF it happens to me. But, I won't know until my EXP and AIO comes.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:20 AM

Yeah, I dunno....I've never had it happen. They most likely didn't buff it all off whatever it is they used. Another thing, EX-P beads water in rain, but when you hit it with the hose it pools up on the surface and sheets right off. 95% of the car is dry within 2 minutes after rinsing....it's pretty incredible.