Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Removing Water Spots From Polished Aluminum Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM

Re: Removing Water Spots From Polished Aluminum Rims

Originally Posted by meangreen661
Never Dull works ok but it isn't as good as the Mothers Billet Polish because the Polish is finer then the Never Dull. I apply that once a week to my Smoothie II's and i noticed it gives it a very nice deep shine.
I agree with ya there. The Billet Polish makes the shine nice and deep. But when it comes to getting waterspots off, the Nevr Dull wins hands down.

For those who recommend putting the wax on the wheels afterwards, does that help to keep waterspots and brake dust from sticking to the wheels? If so, then I'm sold. I find those Smoothies hard to keep spotless all the time.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BlackM6Z28
I agree with ya there. The Billet Polish makes the shine nice and deep. But when it comes to getting waterspots off, the Nevr Dull wins hands down.

For those who recommend putting the wax on the wheels afterwards, does that help to keep waterspots and brake dust from sticking to the wheels? If so, then I'm sold. I find those Smoothies hard to keep spotless all the time.
you really don't even have to use the Never Dull to get the spots out, the billet polish will take them out. BTW are we talkin about spots that have been on for months/years, or ones simply left when washing the car
Old 05-18-2005, 05:58 AM

These are spots that have been on for months because my car was in storage and I didn't get a change to make it spotless before putting it up for the winter. The Billet polish does take off the usual spots that are present after washing or after a few days or a week or so. But for those stuck on stubborn spots, I found the ND the best to use.

BTW: the Coddington decals on the center caps of the Smoothies have lost their color and are now dull and faded looking. Did you have the same thing happen? Do you know if you can purchase extra center cap decals like the original? I tried emailing sales via the Boyd Coddington website but they were useless.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 AM

When my wheels get pretty dirty, I use the Nevr Dull to clean them, followed by the Mag & Aluminum Polished, then finished off with the Billet Polish. It may be a little over kill, but like stated, the Nevr Dull tends to clean easier and faster, while the polishes leave a better shine. If I just need to give them a little touch up, I just use the Billet polish.

I find that on my wheels, the Mag & Aluminum polish leaves a nice shine, but the Billet polish actually gives very good depth and reflection. A tiny bit of Billet polish goes a long way, too, which is nice considering it's a bit more expensive than the Mag & Aluminum polish.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Zoops Seal is supposed to work very well for keeping the polished look for a long time after it's all cleaned up and spiffy. Pricey though.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Zephyr Pro 40 (Zephyr Sales Company, Home of Zephyr Pro40) used with a nylon net backed dish rag (similiar to that found on car wash sponges). I reside in South Florida and water here is HARD!! Be it rain, city, or well water; it spots and stains polished and cast aluminum (non-coated). The stains are extremely difficult to remove and I've achieved no success with any of the products listed here (I have them all); Zephyr Pro 40, though not perfect, produces a much better result than anything I have ever used. I learned of Zephyr Pro 40 while trying to restore the finsih on the aluminum rims, side covers, and other cast aluminum parts on my antique sportster; with a little work, it literally brought them back to life with a near mirror finish. The fine grit contained in this product does not scratch polished aluminum finishes, but will bring any pollished surface a chrome like shine.

Last edited by vrmaxx; 01-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM

I've used many an aluminum polish over the oh so many years and by far the best I've used is White Lightening. Very easy to use and comes off just as easily. A little on the runny side but a little goes a long way.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Holy 8 year old thread!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Another great option for aluminum or chrome is P21S polishing soap. It comes in a container similar to paste wax, but includes a coarse sponge and it lathers like soap.

Once it's rinsed, though, the chrome or aluminum is both clean and shined.