Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Removing Water Spots From Polished Aluminum Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Removing Water Spots From Polished Aluminum Rims

What's the best product for getting rid of those milky looking water spots that form on polished aluminum rims. My Smoothie II's ain't lookin so hot and I want to get them back to the original (or close to) shine. I've heard of Mr. Buffer products. Has anyone tried this or can anyone suggest something else to get that shine back?

Thx
Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Re: Removing Water Spots From Polished Aluminum Rims

Eagle One Never-Dull.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:24 PM

picked up some on the way home from work and gave it a shot..... holy **** my rims are looking just as good as the day i bought them. looks like i've got my plans for the weekend made

thx
Old 05-10-2005, 06:45 AM

Now apply a good synthetic wax/polish to it to keep them looking that way.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:56 AM

Got the same problem with my polished alum. ZR1's. Mothers Mag polish works well but it takes alot of effort to get the spots off. Does the never dull take them off pretty easy? Also, that synthetic wax you speak of...that will keep the spots off??
Old 05-10-2005, 10:35 AM

I tried getting the spots off with Mothers Billet Aluminum polish and although it works, it takes A LOT of elbow grease and its not as good as the ND.

The Nevr Dull is effortless. It's a wadding compound (cloth/material) with the polish/cleaner already absorbed into it. Just tear off a piece of the compound and start buffing. Very little effort needed and the worst of the worst of water spots was coming off. I'm gonna haul the wheels off the car this weekend and go over them completely with the Nevr Dull and then polish them up with the Billet polish afterwards. My garage will never go without a can of this stuff on-hand again.

I too would like to know what the synthetic wax/polish is? Can you suggest some brand to use?

Thx
Old 05-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Mothers released a new brush and polish thing...saw it at Advance yesterday...remember it being demonstrated on the Power Tour...I would give that thing a shot looked pretty effective...but i have never actually used it...but it is Mothers so it should be pretty good...

Its the thing called the powerball...

mothers link

go under power products...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:34 PM

It's good to see someone else knows that it takes some serious elbow grease to get the spots off with Mothers! However, the Mothers does make them look good when its all done. I'll try the eagle one stuff though.
As an aside, I took a look at that Mothers website and under wheel products they have the Mag and Aluminum polish (which is the one I've referred to) and the Billet metal polish. Anyone used both? What is the difference between them. If the Billet is better, I'll use that one. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by 95z28pwr
It's good to see someone else knows that it takes some serious elbow grease to get the spots off with Mothers! However, the Mothers does make them look good when its all done. I'll try the eagle one stuff though.
As an aside, I took a look at that Mothers website and under wheel products they have the Mag and Aluminum polish (which is the one I've referred to) and the Billet metal polish. Anyone used both? What is the difference between them. If the Billet is better, I'll use that one. Thanks.
The Billet is a finer polish then the Mag and Aluminum polish.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:44 AM

The Billet was recommended to me by a local detailing shop for the Smoothies I have. Works wonders on the wheels (once they are clean). I find it's definitely something that is for finishing and polishing and not for removal of spots....

I'm gonna see if I can get some before and after shots of the wheels this weekend to show you the difference the ND makes and then put a coat of the Billet on to finish.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 AM

That would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:15 PM

http://store.yahoo.com/autogeek/mo5140.html

Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 PM

I just use Mother's 100% pure carnauba wax on polished wheels. It works well, even though it isn't synthetic. I would suggest trying it...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 PM

Never Dull works ok but it isn't as good as the Mothers Billet Polish because the Polish is finer then the Never Dull. I apply that once a week to my Smoothie II's and i noticed it gives it a very nice deep shine.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 AM

I'd use NXT Tech Wax on the rims after polishing. Easy to apply and to remove. Available at AutoZone.

Alternately, Zaino is cool too, but harder to remove. On rims, I'd go NXT after polishing.

Quick Reply: Removing Water Spots From Polished Aluminum Rims