Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

"water spots" -- possibly under the Zaino Z1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 09:59 PM

Post "water spots" -- possibly under the Zaino Z1?

OK .. I'll admit ... I probably screwed the pooch on this one.

A while back (2 months maybe?) I bought Z1 and Z2 and washed my car with my usual car wash soap. After drying the car, I applied Z1, let it dry, applied Z2, let it dry and took it off. All was well with the world. Since then, I have applied another coat of Z2 (about 3 weeks ago)

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed what looks like water spots. So I washed the car real quick and went over it to dry everything. The spots were still there.

So I got to thinking ... I was in a hurry when I did the Z1 thing and maybe I didn't do a good job drying the car and applied Z1 on top of the water spots.

Last night I tried a crazy idea. I used some rubbing alcohol to remove the Zaino (according to KevinSS, it's the only way to do it) I was hoping that by removing the Zaino, I could then clean the water spots.

Well, I managed to remove the Zaino in a section (water doesn't bead up on that section like the rest of the car) I still can't get the spots off.

So ... the question is 2 fold ...
(A) did I manage to "lock" the spots into the clearcoat/paint with the Z1 somehow?

(B) what's the best way to fix this?

I've been trying everything I can think of and I'm about to the point of taking it to the dealer and asking them about it.

The spots show up mainly on the hood, rear deck lid and black roof behind the T-tops. That's all flat parts ... so it probably really is water spots, not flawed paint from GM.

Suggestions? Help please?

------------------
2001 Z28, A4 2.73
Navy Blue Metallic, T-tops, no badges
---------
!FRA; MTI lid; Holly PowerShot; TBB; HPP3; Exhaust "bridge"
Old 09-20-2001, 10:11 PM

Getting to the spots soon is the key, the Z-6 contains a fresh water spot remover, it
will take off spots that gather the same day or week, other than that,

Most 'fresh' mineral deposits (water spotting, acid rain, etc.) can be
removed using household white vinegar full strength. This is acetic acid and will
loosen and remove the mineral deposits and not harm the paint surface. Most of the
time, the water spot etching you see is simply the hardened mineral deposit, giving
the illusion of etching into the paint. Believe me, when these mineral deposits
harden. They become really tough and hard to remove. The trick is to not give them
a chance to harden.

If the above fails, then use a Clay Bar to remove them....

If those water spots on your car have been there for a while. They might
be already etched into the clear coat. If Clay Bar will not remove them. Then what
you are seeing is an etched spot in the paint surface, similar to acid rain mark
etching..

Although, I am totally against using an abrasive product on todays clear
coated finishes. It's possible in your specific situation, you might not
have a choice. I would try 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover
part #39009 by hand, not by machine, using very light pressure. This should do
the trick. Be careful when doing this and only do the water spot areas, as the 3M is
abrasive and will remove paint material. Don't forget to reapply your favorite wax
or polish as the 3M product will remove any polish/wax.

If you opt to go with the 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze... see following tips...

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By hand:
Simply apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) to a cotton diaper or piece
of cotton towel and rub back and forth into about a 1'X 1' section using light to
medium pressure until it starts to dry out. Then take a second towel and lightly rub
back and forth until the polish residue disappears and the gloss comes up. If there
are still some swirls visible you can repeat this step until they are minimal. I prefer
using a less aggressive product a couple times instead of using a more aggressive
product once. After you have done the entire car you can Dawn wash and reapply
your favorite wax/polish or Zaino Z-1 and Z-5/Z-2.

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By orbital:

Use a 100% cotton bonnet or a foam bonnet and apply the polish in a thin lined
growing circle starting from the center and spacing the growing line about an inch
from the last round all the way to the edge. Place the bonnet flat on a panel and
activate the polisher and begin working the entire panel using light to medium
pressure. When you have worked the panel thoroughly then take a clean towel and
wipe the residue off in a back and forth motion using light pressure. Then simply
move to the next section. When the entire car is done do a Dawn wash and Zaino.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3